• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you rate the announcements from the Transmission?

• A

Votes: 89 30.0%
  • B

Votes: 125 42.1%
  • C

Votes: 51 17.2%
  • D

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • F

Votes: 16 5.4%

• Total voters

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Azabu Apologies for sounding harsh in my initial viewing. You say your team is a lot of ex-Telltale. I enjoyed their output, so if I misread what the pitch was I apologize. If the permanence of the story is something along the lines of Telltale or the Dark Pictures stuff, then you definitely have my interest. I look forward to hearing more you have to share, whenever you are able to!

Azabu

CEO at Genvid
Verified
Oct 31, 2017
Congrats on the reveal! Still not entirely sure what exactly Ascension is and I suspect that's deliberate but hey, I'm glad to see they've got passionate crews working on the franchise and are willing to go in some bold directions even if everything shown is not to everyone's specific tastes. Curious to find out more!

Thank you. Yes we have been coy on the details, but will be sharing more on the characters, stories and creatures next year as we get closer to live.

Silent Hill Ascension seems..... I don't like the concept. So if you jump in late, you just...what get told a story and have to deal with the aftermath? Seems like it's banking on FOMO to be in from the start, because permanently effecting an always online world of some sort seems like a Live Service Disaster waiting to happen. Will love to be proven wrong though!

It's more like locking in story branches to form a real canon.

Azabu

CEO at Genvid
Verified
Oct 31, 2017
Azabu Apologies for sounding harsh in my initial viewing. You say your team is a lot of ex-Telltale. I enjoyed their output, so if I misread what the pitch was I apologize. If the permanence of the story is something along the lines of Telltale or the Dark Pictures stuff, then you definitely have my interest. I look forward to hearing more you have to share, whenever you are able to!

Thank you so much! Our team is watching these threads and appreciate the support. They really love the products. Chris Amaral, who you saw in the videos, worked on the Diablo franchise and was at Blizzard for 15 years. His art is amazing, and the creatures coming will be truly terrifying.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yes, Ascension is my product. That was me on the video. It was fun to film. I appreciate any optimism people have to the franchise, we are all huge fans working on it.

Congrats to you, I'm rooting for all the studios in their endeavours to bring Silent Hill back for the fans. You must be proud and I know you all will do great things. There was a hole here 👉💔…. It's gone now ❤️

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
I just don't understand them why not remake the very first game it's the one that could most do with the update and lots of potential to be expanded upon
It's also a good re entry into the brand coming alive again then remake 2

snipeywolf

Jun 15, 2022
United States
I just don't understand them why not remake the very first game it's the one that could most do with the update and lots of potential to be expanded upon

SH2 sort of works as a standalone and is arguably the most well received in the franchise. It also introduces the iconic Pyramid Head and Bubble Head Nurses.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Even if some of the projects only end up being very loosely inspired by Silent Hill (e.g. the Silent Hill part of SH ƒ is not the main reason I'm interested in it), it's nice to have a healthy influx of new horror projects.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno. Maybe it's the past 3 years of pain talking, but my overall sense coming out of this is mild disappointment. The remake of 2 looks decent enough (though Bloober so who knows), I'm interested in Townfall (no experience with No Code, but I did grab Stories Untold today, so my hype may increase on this) and F (though again, I know nothing about the developer or writer). And I'll give "Return to Silent Hill" a chance, as Gans' first attempt was fine.

But while I can't quite figure out what Ascension really even is, I feel like I know enough to say that it's not for me. And then there's all the things that could have happened but didn't: no way to play 1-4 on modern hardware? Really? And with Konami being so generous with the licensing, no Silent Hills? Or putting Downpour back up for sale on Xbox? Or Shattered Memories PS2 on PSN? And what happened to The Short Message?

I'm probably coming off as more negative than I mean to. I'm glad to have the series back, and I'm likely to enjoy at least one of the new games. I just didn't feel the hype I was hoping for.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm:

- Bloober Hill 2 looks alright, but graphics are not the problem with this developer, and i can't trust them no matter how many times they say they are being faithful / Konami has them on a short leash. And i already noticed some Blooberisms in the trailer.
- Regarding Townfall, i enjoyed Observation quite a bit so i'm interested.
- I don't know what Ascension is supposed to be.
- Silent Hill F looks like my kind of japanese horror, so i'm also interested.
- I'm indifferent to the movie, even though i enjoyed the first movie for what it was.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Konami, please, for the love of god, please make the back catalogue available on modern consoles and PC. That was the main thing other than Sakura that I was really hoping for.

I don't want to be negative, I gave the show a B. It was better than I expected... but making SH 1-4 available is so important! Especially now when they are trying to reintroduce the series. Please, these games are so influential and so vital to gaming history. Just releasing remakes isn't going to cut it.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Thank you. Yes we have been coy on the details, but will be sharing more on the characters, stories and creatures next year as we get closer to live.

It's more like locking in story branches to form a real canon.
This is a really cool idea. Fans already kind of do that with theorycrafting lore discussion so doing it in the game proper is neat.

Azabu

CEO at Genvid
Verified
Oct 31, 2017
This sounds absolutely insane lol I cannot wrap my mind about how this will work if everyone is connected into it, but it can't be said you aren't trying something new. Can't wait to see more!
Thank you! The biggest trick is how you give people enough time to input, how you give context and how you catch them up when the story is changing each day. We have theories on how to do this but we're going to setup the dominos of the story, characters, lore and see where the fans take us. We do not know who will survive.

This is a really cool idea. Fans already kind of do that with theorycrafting lore discussion so doing it in the game proper is neat.

Exactly!

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Konami going all out and treating Silent Hill like it isn't a brand that's been pretty much dead for ten years seemed extremely surreal.

Generally, I really don't know what to make of this all. I'm really glad SH is very much alive, but the remake was shockingly the best thing out of the whole broadcast. Mildly confused about their strategy, since this seemed like more of a dump of several titles in various states of development. The whole showcase left me a bit numb. I'm cautiously optimistic about f, but still miss a modern day entry, which is supposedly Sakura or whatever it transformed into.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Looks like Silent Hill games aren't being made by Japanese developers anymore. I wonder how that will affect the series moving forward.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
So we have the new movie, which was apparently the impetus for this whole effort of revitalising the brand. Obviously the goal with that is to recapture the mainstream audience like the old film. Then, working off that, Konami started planning various projects. The remake of Silent Hill 2 is a big, albeit rather safe way of indulging the existing Western fanbase. Since the series does find most of it's success in the West, it would make sense that ƒ is an attempt to bring Silent Hill's appeal back home to Japan. That's why you would pick someone like Ryukishi07 to handle the story. Townfall and Ascension look like smaller scale experimental pitches that Konami liked the sound of and also lets them cast the net a little wider. Still wonder how Sakura/The Short Message fits in. Seems kind of bold to set a teaser for your 1960's Japan game both in the future and in a different country, if it's an ƒ thing. Could work though.

Azabu

CEO at Genvid
Verified
Oct 31, 2017
Looks like Silent Hill games aren't being made by Japanese developers anymore. I wonder how that will affect the series moving forward.

Regarding Japanese publishers and western devs- the products of 10-15 years ago were the result of a very different industry and publishing mindset.
Japanese publishers went through a big shock in the late 2000s and early 2010s as the industry navigated two major shifts: offline to online titles and SD to HD asset pipelines. The domestic industry was stagnant while the western industry grew. It was the reason we (I was at SQEX at the time) acquired Eidos: Wada-san determined the best way to manage this shifts was to build titles oriented toward larger, western markets.

We created multiple titles, some managed by Japanese, some managed by Westerners, trying to tackle this market and its shifts. This is why you got new Tomb Raiders, Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, as well as titles like Murdered: Soul Suspect (Japanese creator, western dev). The logic was western devs would best know how to develop for westerners.

It was very hard to get the best western talent, though. The really good creators founded their own studios, or were attracted to work at western publishers so if you were a Japanese publisher trying to get a western team to develop, you were often dealing with work for hire studios, and because of the nature of sales (30% to gamestop, 30% to sony, 10% to manufacturing, and you don't get a dime from re-sale) you needed to manage the budget very carefully.

Communication wasn't easy, and every time we had Japanese creative or management working with western devs, we ran into cultural and development issues, particularly as the industry shifted away from traditional packaged/single player titles toward online titles with f2p and other business models. Additionally, engines were very hard.

The Japanese publishing business is radically different today. You can thank digital stores, mobile and Unreal.

Digital stores: you now have an ongoing window for sales for titles beyond the package disc. The way sales worked then, you sold in to GameStop, paid them 30% of your revenue, and you trusted them to do the rest of the work. Now you can have direct relationships + have a long tail of sales through Steam, App store, Game Pass., etc. This improves profitability and letting you invest more into the content quality.

Mobile: the strength of the domestic mobile industry in Japan taught a generation of developers how to create online, connected titles which was missing a decade prior and revitalized profits, enabling Japanese publishers invest in tech and quality.

Finally, Unreal Engine resolved the asset pipeline issue by eliminating old engine tech as a factor. (Look how much of FF and DQ is on UE now. RE is one of the few holdovers of its own engine; even SF moved to UE. Our Ascension title is also Unreal.)

Now we're in a new era where Japanese publishers understand the engine and HD asset pipeline, see possibilities in the business model, and finally, have worked out the problematic communication and cultural aspects of working with western studios and western creators. So you can have good control over the IP and the creative with the benefits of a global workforce.

If you want proof of the latter you can see it in the way in which Japanese publishers are working with Hollywood: the Sonic films, the upcoming Mario film. High quality output that respects the IP. Beyond Ascension, we also released PAC-MAN Community last year with Bandai that's had 8m players.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
I guess now that this is done I have a few questions that maybe Dusk Golem can vaguely answer:

* Is Silent Hill f the Sakura project?
* What happened to Silent Hill The Short Message?
* The screenshots you leaked belonged with the cherry monster and the "I hate myself" stickers belong to what Silent Hill? Or was that canned?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Hmmm, just read through some of Azabu 's posts about Ascension. Premise sounds really cool honestly, always love seeing devs try to do new things with narrative in gaming. Good luck to the team, this one's on my radar now for sure

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
So there is no SHV?

Sorry but just got off work and I don't know what's what but bloober is a pass and A part V was all I had any interest in.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Regarding Japanese publishers and western devs- the products of 10-15 years ago were the result of a very different industry and publishing mindset.
Japanese publishers went through a big shock in the late 2000s and early 2010s as the industry navigated two major shifts: offline to online titles and SD to HD asset pipelines. The domestic industry was stagnant while the western industry grew. It was the reason we (I was at SQEX at the time) acquired Eidos: Wada-san determined the best way to manage this shifts was to build titles oriented toward larger, western markets.

We created multiple titles, some managed by Japanese, some managed by Westerners, trying to tackle this market and its shifts. This is why you got new Tomb Raiders, Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, as well as titles like Murdered: Soul Suspect (Japanese creator, western dev). The logic was western devs would best know how to develop for westerners.

It was very hard to get the best western talent, though. The really good creators founded their own studios, or were attracted to work at western publishers so if you were a Japanese publisher trying to get a western team to develop, you were often dealing with work for hire studios, and because of the nature of sales (30% to gamestop, 30% to sony, 10% to manufacturing, and you don't get a dime from re-sale) you needed to manage the budget very carefully.

Communication wasn't easy, and every time we had Japanese creative or management working with western devs, we ran into cultural and development issues, particularly as the industry shifted away from traditional packaged/single player titles toward online titles with f2p and other business models. Additionally, engines were very hard.

The Japanese publishing business is radically different today. You can thank digital stores, mobile and Unreal.

Digital stores: you now have an ongoing window for sales for titles beyond the package disc. The way sales worked then, you sold in to GameStop, paid them 30% of your revenue, and you trusted them to do the rest of the work. Now you can have direct relationships + have a long tail of sales through Steam, App store, Game Pass., etc. This improves profitability and letting you invest more into the content quality.

Mobile: the strength of the domestic mobile industry in Japan taught a generation of developers how to create online, connected titles which was missing a decade prior and revitalized profits, enabling Japanese publishers invest in tech and quality.

Finally, Unreal Engine resolved the asset pipeline issue by eliminating old engine tech as a factor. (Look how much of FF and DQ is on UE now. RE is one of the few holdovers of its own engine; even SF moved to UE. Our Ascension title is also Unreal.)

Now we're in a new era where Japanese publishers understand the engine and HD asset pipeline, see possibilities in the business model, and finally, have worked out the problematic communication and cultural aspects of working with western studios and western creators. So you can have good control over the IP and the creative with the benefits of a global workforce.

If you want proof of the latter you can see it in the way in which Japanese publishers are working with Hollywood: the Sonic films, the upcoming Mario film. High quality output that respects the IP. Beyond Ascension, we also released PAC-MAN Community last year with Bandai that's had 8m players.

Real informative post.

So there is no SHV?

Sorry but just got off work and I don't know what's what but bloober is a pass and A part V was all I had any interest in.

The way "F" was stylized in the trailer gave me the impression that it could potentially be "5". F could also stand for Five, as I have no idea what else it could possibly mean.

Nov 1, 2017
Silent Hill f looks legendary. The teaser's visuals have so much potential, and I am floored that Ryukishi07 will be writing the game. He wrote some of the greatest horror visual novels of all time.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I know that Silent Hill 1 already had a Wii remake, but I would be glad to even get a SH1 PS1 re-release on PS+ Premium. It's still my favourite SH game.

Still, I'm hyped for that SH2 remake.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
"Mainline" is such a weird concept regarding Silent Hill anyways. 4 could just as well be a spinoff in some sense if it weren't for the numbering while Homecoming/Downpour could be argued to be mainline or not depending on what your criteria is.

I think the only very solid categories in this regard for non-numbered titles could be given to Origins (mainline since it's literally a prequel to 1/3) and Shattered Memories (non-mainline, since it's a non-canon reimagining of 1).

TLDR: At least personally it makes very little difference if a game in SH series is considered mainline or not.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
Nice.

Silent Hill f = pretty hype, actually looks interesting and might be the best SH game since 4 if they do it right.
Silent Hill 2 remake = cautiosly optimistic, a bit worried about the faces and the tone but the art is incredible.

the rest, wait and see, i hope the movie doesnt suck