• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The fate of the world depends on you, but people still want you to pay for their shit.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
You go inside an ancient ruin that was built in medieval times if not older, using old ass technology and you solve puzzles where you manipulate light beams and somehow that creates energy to open/move doors and objects made of stone that probably weigh several tons.
This! I roll my eyes every time I have to do a light puzzle because I know the next 10 minutes of my life are going to be wasted.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Playing Skyrim again and it's full of them.

You: *Flat out destroys a dragon. A DRAGON!*

Two seconds later...

NPC in rags: "Hand over your money or you're dead."

NPC: "Hey person who I've never met who has come strolling into town, I think my wife/husband is cheating on me. Please follow them"

You: *Follows them and, gasp, they've been brainwashed*

NPC: "Lots of people have been getting killed at night here. Can you investigate please as I clearly lack the intelligence to assume the one character in town who only comes out at night could in any way be responsible."

Also this one is pretty common in open-world titles

You: *Minding own business*

NPC: "Hey complete stranger do you fancy a bike/car/horse race?"

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
This! I roll my eyes every time I have to do a light puzzle because I know the next 10 minutes of my life are going to be wasted.

I kinda like them but at the same time they could really expand on the types of puzzles found in action games. Now it's usually "move block to correct spot on the floor" or "align mirrors so light hits mechanism".

Also all devices are the kind that if the people who built them had to operate them daily they would go mad. "Hey I need to get into our brand new temple! -Hold on, I'll just climb this structure and hang from the counterweight while Bob over there operates this unnecessarily complicated array of gears by running back and forth on this bridge and pulling all these levers"

Mar 19, 2019
Instead of just fucking decimating you, bosses take care to attack in very deliberated and avoidable patterns which oh-so-conveniently also end up using its own weakness that, when used against it, reveals the only damagable part on the enemy.

Worse yet, "attackless" game bosses where the boss just rolls over for you to jump on its weak point.

Also, touching an enemy hurts you for some reason? It makes sense in more minimalist games like Mario or whatever where enemies just deadass don't attack most of the time, but let's use Hollow Knight as an example where enemies actively have their own attack patterns and moves; if the enemy isn't attacking, accidentally touching one of their pixels shouldn't be fatal.