• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I picked it up for the first time when it hit Steam recently (being the only SimCity I'd never played outside of the one that killed the franchise) and my first thought was "why did nobody ever tell me this game is full of absolute BANGERS?"

glow39

May 4, 2022
It's sooooo good.

SimCity 3000/The Sims 1/SimCity 4 is a legendary run soundtrack (and game) wise

OP
OP
Seaneko

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Agreed. I picked it up for the first time when it hit Steam recently (being the only SimCity I'd never played outside of the one that killed the franchise) and my first thought was "why did nobody ever tell me this game is full of absolute BANGERS?"
Same actually, I grew up on SimCity 2000 but never really played 3000 or 4 until recently. There were some major growing pains playing 3K but it eventually surpassed 2K for me as my fave Sim game. Gonna try out 4 soon once the mood strikes me again.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
100%. Burned it to a CD back in the day, listened to it in the car a bunch, these days it has a permanent spot on my phone. Easily my favorite soundtrack of all time.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Maxis has always knocked it out of the park with their soundtracks. Even the maligned SimCity 2013 had some excellent music.

But, specifically 3000, I greatly appreciate the synth nonsense of

View: https://youtu.be/fc5cUXUDun8?feature=shared

What's going on with the samples at the 2:25 mark?
Still, brings back very specific nostalgia. I miss the millennium. Those were fun times to be a teenager.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Part of the reason why City Skylines, as brilliant as it is, cannot properly replace SimCity. There's a vibe, a feeling, captured through the aesthetic elements such as the soundtracks that has yet to replicated by anyone else.

It's sooooo good.

SimCity 3000/The Sims 1/SimCity 4 is a legendary run soundtrack (and game) wise
+ The Sims 2, I'd say. It didn't sound quite as Maxis-esque as Sims 1's soundtrack but it did so perfectly define the sound of The Sims going forward that both 3 and 4 were basically riffing on the template 2 created.

Even the maligned SimCity 2013 had some excellent music.
Yes it does, though I think it works better as music than it does game soundtrack! It's my go-to "listen while relaxing in a hot bath after a stressful day" album actually. Sounds like Phillip Glass but without the pretension.

TideSwayer

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, in the early 2000s EA actually put the SimCity 3000 soundtrack up in MP3 form for download on the Simcity 3000 website.

Not a SimCity game, but let's not overlook how awesome the SNES SimEarth soundtrack was as well:

Entire SimEarth Soundtrack Playlist:

Examples:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40Tr2eRYZY

www.youtube.com

SimEarth Music - Mars

Composer: Takane OkuboThe theme that plays during the Mars scenario in the SNES port of SimEarth by Maxis and FCI.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULTo8vkVxfA

www.youtube.com

SimEarth Music - Venus

Composer: Takane OkuboThe theme that plays during the Venus scenario in the SNES port of SimEarth by Maxis and FCI.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMLlMOYA17Q

www.youtube.com

SimEarth Music - Ice Planet

Composer: Takane OkuboThe theme that plays during the Ice Planet scenario in the SNES port of SimEarth by Maxis and FCI.A personal favourite.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
They are good, but for just SimCity series, I prefer SC4 soundtracks over the others.

glow39

May 4, 2022
+ The Sims 2, I'd say. It didn't sound quite as Maxis-esque as Sims 1's soundtrack but it did so perfectly define the sound of The Sims going forward that both 3 and 4 were basically riffing on the template 2 created.
Oh 10000% agree! Love TS2's soundtrack to bits, only second to TS1's to me. Only didn't mention it cause it didn't involve Jerry Martin & co who were involved with the other 3 games (their was game was The Sims Bustin' Out console which is also not talked about enough for all its bangers!!!)

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Man I miss the Sim City franchise. After Sim City 4 the franchise went downhill thanks to EA incompetence and greed.