Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
What a tone-deaf response:

Evening Standard said:
The creator of The Simpsons has finally responded to the racism row surrounding fan favourite Apu Nahasapeemapetilon. Matt Groening, who came up with America's beloved cartoon family in the late 1980s, appeared to dodge criticisms in a recent interview with USA Today. The show's portrayal of a Indian convenience store clerk came under intense scrutiny after comedian Hari Kondabolu released the documentary 'The Problem with Apu' last year.

Asked if he had any thoughts on the criticisms of Apu as a stereotype, Mr Groening said: "Not really. I'm proud of what we do on the show.

"And I think it's a time in our culture where people love to pretend they're offended...We'll let the show speak for itself."

To be clear, I'm not "offended" by Apu, but I do find his complete dismissal of any criticism wrong.

Last edited:

Demogorgon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive towards concerns of racism.
He's 100% correct. This shit is getting ridiculous already.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
What sort of answer is that?

'is this racist?'

'not really'

Well, is it or isn't it?

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
User Banned (A day): Dismissal of racial concerns. Member in junior phase.
Amen, completely agree with Matt

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't disagree with that sentiment, but I can certainly see both sides.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
He is right in the fact that we currently live in a culture of outrage, but I understand the theory behind "the problem with Apu" and the fact it was used as a reference point for Indians living in America for so long that it became a playground taunt for a lot of kids growing up and thats how it has become problematic. I dont like the fact he isnt acknowledging this and instead is choosing to handwave it away.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
His show he can do what he wants, people can also decide to stop watching and they will but I don't think it will be enough to tank the show but I could be wrong.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The show was a product of its time. Times have changed. There is nothing wrong with accepting that. Instead you just act like an ass.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people who instantly try to rebuke that Apu documentary with "uHhhHhH people wanna be offended at EVERYTHING" actually watched the documentary

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive post.
In the era of social media people love to pretend to have better morals than others, its hilarious.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely brilliant response. There is no middle ground as the responses on this thread have shown. You think it's a brilliant response or you think it's awful

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
He's wrong, Apu is still a stereotype either way. I mean I love Apu, but Matt Groeing really shouldn't speak for Indian people when he's not one himself.

Granted all the characters in Simpsons are stereotypes either way.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Way to completely ignore the legitimate issues that Hari has raised. Weakly handwaving it away.

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
Let the show speak for itself, huh?

Let me know when its worth watching again. Oh wait, that hasn't happened in 20 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I mean, I get it if it's somebody white knighting on behalf of a group they aren't part of. But this was a project by an Indian American who talked to other people of Indian descent about their experience specifically with racist caricatures. Who is "pretending" to be offended in that situation? Pretty lazy response from Groening.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes Azaria's response that much better - something measured and willing to listen instead of handwaving it away like a coward.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
"let the show speak for itself"

Given the state of the show I don't think that's such a good idea, Matt.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good for him standing behind his work. If he's proud of it, he shouldn't bow to anyone. Hopefully he'll allow Hank to stop giving the character his voice if Hank isn't proud of his own work.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I take this statement as him just bypassing the minority backlash and focusing on white people acting offended because it's easier to address off the cuff.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont get why these comedians are always complaining about shit in such a pathetic way, like some dude makes a sobering, boring documentary about not being cool with Apu and this obviously must means that minorities are hiding their true feelings like the shady, dishonest and emotional people we are.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has been a problem for several years now and it's getting to ridiculous levels lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.