• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
jst2dnc.jpg

I hate this picture more than you can possibly imagine lol

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
So it passed... Nice. Hopefully the House votes quickly and not make any changes.
I think the house (or at least Pelosi) generally understands they're not going to get to change it, even if they want to, because of just how fucking hard it is to get anything passed in the Senate.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
why is there so much shit piled into one bill? is this normal? how the fuck do you ever get anything done with people throwing things into the pot all the damn time

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the most major step forward the US has ever taken on climate change, no?

Obviously a lot more needs done on that front but considering we're on the clock, not taking action on climate change for 2-6 more years was simply not an option.

why is there so much shit piled into one bill? is this normal? how the fuck do you ever get anything done with people throwing things into the pot all the damn time
Budgetary reconciliation can only happen once a year IIRC. The majority party in the senate tries to put as much stuff that can pass along party lines and meet reconciliation requirements as possible. This is pretty much all that can get done in the senate aside from any legislation popular enough to get 10 Republicans on board.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. If you looked at the thread a couple weeks back where Manchin torpedoed this bill, and people would have posted that this would have been the outcome, so many people would have been laughing at you.

Insane that this made it through, and did so the way it did. Can't believe it did, with so much good stuff in it. Well done Democrats. Well done.

Oct 27, 2017
This has to be the most major step forward the US has ever taken on climate change, no?

Obviously a lot more needs done on that front but considering we're on the clock, not taking action on climate change for 2-6 more years was simply not an option.
I think it's easily the most money directed towards climate change in a bill, ever.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Not happy about the failure to cap the cost of insulin for people not on Medicare, but this is by far the most consequential climate and energy legislation ever passed by the US government. The Democratic party should be proud of what they did here.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
WOW! This is waaaay more climate change shit than I would've have expected. Especially with such a divided government. Good job, Dems. Good job Biden. Eat my ass, Republicans.

genuinely, it's an incredibly good climate bill in a lot of ways. there are a few things that I'd have liked to see in it still (RIP CEPP), but most of the stuff that got axed was stuff that wasn't really that important to the overall goal of cutting emissions (do not start me on the civilian climate corps, lol). there's a permitting bill coming soon that people are very worried about as a oil/gas thing, and there will be some problems there, but there's also a huge opportunity that I think will be taken for really fighting back against the abuses of people using NEPA challenges to stall renewable projects.

to steal a phrase from our lord and savior, dark brandon - it's a big fucking deal.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's easily the most money directed towards climate change in a bill, ever.

it is! the prior record for america was about 1/4 of this (it was the various green spending provisions in the 2009 obama stimulus bill)

and that stimulus bill was actually deeply important for setting renewables on the path they're on currently. now we get to do the same thing, but... way, way larger. and with more industries.

also, if you want more optimism BECAUSE I SURE DO it's worth pointing out australia finally started passing a climate bill as well (third-largest exporter of fossil fuels in the world!). thank you for getting rid of scott morrison, upside-down friends

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

Budgetary reconciliation can only happen once a year IIRC. The majority party in the senate tries to put as much stuff that can pass along party lines and meet reconciliation requirements as possible. This is pretty much all that can get done in the senate aside from any legislation popular enough to get 10 Republicans on board.
Yep. And we got 2 this year because Trump's admin completely forgot to do theirs the last year lmao

Wonder how often that happens.

Last edited:

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
Chevy about to sell some motherfuckin Bolts
To me please.

I find it hilarious people think the Democrats are in the tank for legacy auto makers. It was 60 years ago when they were juggernauts. They have regional pockets of significance today.
When someone taps the $800,000,000,000 defense bill sign in a twitter post from a Telsa pissant they don't have a reply.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. And we got 2 this great because Trump's admin completely forgot to do theirs the last year lmao

Wonder how often that happens.
Trump didn't really care to govern. He's just an ultranationalist that half the country is obsessed with.