Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've said that I don't think a game like the first Uncharted, even though it was the foundational footprint for that series, would be a viable pitch today. The idea of a finite eight-ish-hour experience that has no second modes, no online — the only replayability was the fact that you could unlock cheats and stuff like that. No multiplayer, nothing. That doesn't fly anymore. Now you have to have a lot of hours of gameplay. Eight would never cut it. Usually some sort of online mode. And of course you see where things are pushing, toward live services and battle royale and games as a service.

All of those things — I don't know the word I'm looking for, but they play less nicely with story. They're less conducive to traditional storytelling. That has a shape and an arc and a destination, an end. A game that is a live service, that continues, does not.

Pretty interesting stuff, considering she's the responsible behind Nathan Drake as we all know him.

More at https://gameranx.com/updates/id/170...e-wouldnt-work-today-according-to-amy-hennig/

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
I love games like that and would gladly buy and play it. I loved things like The Lost Legacy too. Really don't like this notion that single-player is dead.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I... don't agree with this thought. I know her games have not materialized as of late but this pretty much described the indie-to-"triple I" scene and it seems to be working fine there.

EDIT: I was wondering if RE2 qualifies for what she said, since she said "second modes" but it seems like a lot of people are saying it works, so yeah, bad timing in this quote.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there plenty of games disproving this? I guess it makes a game a harder to sell/hype, but nah.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I can agree with that tho it makes a lot if sense now if you sold it as a mid tier title say for 40 then I think it would do well

But honestly depending on how good the game is ppl would still buy for 60 tho I agree in the context of single player games have gotten longer and better overall, so it would be hard for me personally to buy an 8 hour title without reply or multi-player value

Oct 26, 2017
SP games will endure and thrive long after MP centric, microtransaction riddled, AAA greedy titles crash the market.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I find short single player games more appealing than longer ones to be honest. Something that's 30 hours or less is a game I'll probably finish, anything more I rarely do.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Yeah RE2 would never work, oh wait.
That's a remaster of one of the most beloved games ever made that is a really stupid comparison clearly she is speaking on brand new AAA games

I love games like that and would gladly buy and play it. I loved things like The Lost Legacy too. Really don't like this notion that single-player is dead.
She didn't say single player was dead did any of yall read the damn quote at least?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lost Legacy released in August of 2017, have things changed that much in a year and a half?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe we need to embrace smaller scope again, which keeps costs down so we don't need to stuff games full of predatory monetization schemes in order to recoup costs?

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
She's not saying it wouldnt work in terms of critic/fan outlook. Shes saying how pitching that to a large company wouldnt most times end up being unsuccessful because of companies want everlasting revenue from games these days. Exceptions arent rules.

Yeah this is the issue. There's a place for them, but it will mostly be from first party studios and smaller publishers like Capcom.

Ubisoft, Activision, EA etc. are mostly about evergreeen service games they can monetize. Hence EA canceling her Star Wars games.

So it's going to be tougher for people like her to get a huge budget to make a high production value, one and done, shorter SP game like Uncharted these days.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think she's right... in a sense.

We need to face the facts. Most younger gamers are growing up with MTX, GAAS and multiplayer only/heavy games. So I don't think a lot from that generation would like single player games in general, let alone full priced *short* single player games. So if a company is trying to make 999999999999999 gazillion dollars off of a game like that it'd probably fail.

But if it's aimed towards older gamers, has a specific audience, and has a more reasonable budget, I don't see why a short single player game couldn't sell around 5-6 million copies, and doubly so if it's priced more reasonably (instead of $79 CDN, more around $49 or $39).

Of course I don't mind full priced, AAA single player only games (hell I love 'em), but apparently I'm an old woman at this point in this market.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's probably right in the context of trying to get an AAA budget from EA et al for a new IP.

That's a remaster of one of the most beloved games ever made that is a really stupid comparison clearly she is speaking on brand new AAA games

RE2 is not a remaster. It's a ground-up reimagining of the original.

Last edited:

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
But Uncharted The Lost Legacy was just that and it released in 2017?

It had a multiplayer mode too, right? What she is talking about is single player only games.

I believe her because publishers are idiots. She's not saying these games wouldn't sell. It's that publishers have no idea what people actually want and how to sell to certain groups.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
She's probably right from a company's perspective. They want service games now. New IP that aren't service titles are less common,

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
let's be real, it didn't work back then either. commercially speaking, i mean

which is why ND rectified the shortcomings of U1 with u2

and Sony probably wouldn't have greenlit/released U1 if it wasn't something of a soft launch title and PS3 in desperate need of software

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they might go over better if you aren't pitching them to someone like EA.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The RE2 and Lost Legacy examples being touted feel very disingenuous to me - RE2 is a remake of a fan favourite game, and LL while fitting the description is part of a well established franchise that has a record of doing well saleswise

How many 10-12 hour single-player only games are the big publishers making?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I would love to see Amy Hennig work on an indie title. We desperately need another Soul Reaver type game.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I love Legacy of Kain and Uncharted, but when was the last time Amy Hennig actually made something significant instead of blaming the big studios for not letting her make what she wants to? At some point you have to either question if what you want to make isn't feasible or if you have to adapt.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017