• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
CD Projekt Red announced this today during their investor call. Singleplayer campaign for Gwent: The Witcher Card Game is going to be a standalone release called Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales. It's supposed to be released later this year.

User Prace_Ace on Reddit has written more details.
Some further information:
  • Thronebreaker will be an RPG game, not a card game.
  • It will be standalone, users will not need to download Gwent to play it.
  • In-game actions will be decided by the outcome of Gwent games.
  • 30+ hours of gameplay.

Gwent accounts WILL BE connected to Thronebreaker accounts if you have one, but you don't need a Gwent account to play Thronebreaker.

In previous statements, CDPR has pointed out the replayability, decision making and that it will feature multiple difficulty modes. You'll be able to level up the protagonist (Meve), your gear and build a camp to recruit units (which was inspired by Heroes of Might & Magic).

This might be the very first standalone campaign, with more to come based on the success of Thronebreaker. This campaign will focus on Northern Realms, the next one will feature another faction (Skellige, Nilfgaard, ...). Also, CDPR has released a teaser video one year ago, but a lot of things might have changed since then, so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally, the game was called "Gwent Thronebreaker", but they removed the Gwent from its name. There's no official statement so far, but the Community Manager "Burza" mentioned some information every once in a while, stating the game got bigger and bigger over time and isn't mainly about the card aspects any more. So it is indeed less about Gwent and more about the Witcher universe with some Gwent mechanics attached to it.

EDIT: New info from a Gwent Reddit.
  • It will be launched in parallel to Gwent and will only be available on the same platforms, no additional platforms
  • Gwent and Cyberpunk are developed by totally separate teams
  • Marketing is fitting around the development process, not the other way around
  • Someone asked about using Gwent currency to make in-game purchases in Thronebreaker, but they reaffirmed that they will be separate programs
  • Thronebreaker is aimed at two groups: Gwent players and Witcher fans (who may not have played Gwent yet because it's not as connected to Witcher lore as Thronebreaker will be)

1xwax3Bo5Bg9HF85JlTQkXCbuDaW8QfM5dWR4_hKXPU.jpg

Source: Reddit

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That's freaking awesome. I LOVE card-based RPG's, and yet there are so few of them.

If it's something like Magic the Gathering: Shandalar I'll die.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. It's Gwents sp campaign, but it's not a card game like Gwent. However, actions made in the game will be decided in game of Gwent, but what do you do in between the actions?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Gwent gets weirder and weirder. So... it's not a Gwent single player mode any more?

Gwent itself is in a bizarre place after CDP removed all the flavour and interesting mechanics from the game more and more to the point where they admitted they fucked it up about 6 months ago and paused updates while they went back to the drawing board.

Why isn't Gwent on Switch yet?!

The game's a bit of a mess, currently. The PC game started well but as the open beta progressed the game went down a not-very-good path where a lot of faction identity was lost and the most unique mechanics were basically stripped back to the point where they didn't matter any more. The team have gone back to the drawing board completely, so I wouldn't expect news for a while.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I don't understand. It's Gwents sp campaign, but it's not a card game like Gwent. However, actions made in the game will be decided in game of Gwent, but what do you do in between the actions?

You can walk around as Queen Meve and talk to people and find loot. I have a leaked video from like a year ago, but there should be some screenshots out on google here and there.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So it's more like Shandalar with a mix in of The Elder Scrolls Legends' decision making?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it going to be rounds of Gwent just interspersed with cutscenes/dialog like a visual novel? Or are we talking third-person exploration in some fashion?

OP
OP
Dazraell

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

If I understand it correctly, Thronebreaker was revised into a bigger RPG where playing Gwent is only a mechanic for combat. They have much more than playing a card game - the story, exploration of the world map, dialogues, quests, character progression, etc.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Wish we would get another RPG MicroProse Magic the Gathering game. Really wish CDP had the Magic the Gathering vidogame license.
a8843061b1dff244add0f3866d03e925313c58b1.png

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Please no Switch port begging. This is a thread about...whatever this is...don't derail it about Switch.

Like this?

11-22-17%20GWENT.jpg

Yea basically, though that's very old by now and things may have changed, but the concept should be like that. No fighting but you play Gwent instead with special cards and objects instead of a normal gwent game.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So imagine if you played The Witcher, but it was 2D, and all the combat interactions were determined by playing Gwent instead.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018

Uhh, hate this card shit. Does this mean I'm going to have to learn Gwent to play through this game? Sad to say, but I may have to take a pass on a CDPR Witcher RPG.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Please no Switch port begging. This is a thread about...whatever this is...don't derail it about Switch.
It wasn't necessarily begging. I just realized that I still haven't played much Gwent outside of Witcher and Switch would be a perfect place to play. Wasn't even sure if it's out there or not. :)

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited for this than the regular Gwent game at this point, given how poorly it's been managed (plus I don't like multiplayer).

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't necessarily begging. I just realized that I still haven't played much Gwent outside of Witcher and Switch would be a perfect place to play. Wasn't even sure if it's out there or not. :)

Still port begging. Don't.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Is it free?!

I don't like regular gwent game at all but I'd play this.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know, it's their constant changing of everything that makes me question their way of doing things
I get the sense they jumped in head first without really thinking things out or having a clear vision for how they were going to convert from how GWENT worked in The Witcher 3 to something that was actually functional as a standalone game that wasn't egregiously pay 2 win.

OP
OP
Dazraell

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Is it free?!

I don't like regular gwent game at all but I'd play this.

Regular Gwent is a free-to-play game. Thronebreaker is going to be a paid standalone game.

Basically, they're splitting this into two separate games - Gwent is going to be a free multiplayer game with microtransations, singleplayer campaign is going to be it's own standalone release that won't be tied to Gwent at all.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
So Heroes of might and magic + Magic the Gathering PC game in the Witcher universe? I'm game.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They are getting really close to artifact - hopefully they'll be able to coexist, I liked what I played in the Beta, but I didn't feel like returning yet.
A card based single player rpg in the Witcher universe sounds awesome though.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't wait for this and am glad it's become its own thing that hopefully means it's not designed around using your cards from the f2p game.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the logic behind making it standalone from Gwent? It's Gwent's SP mode.
Presumably because they could separate the game's balance from the multiplayer balancing. Also no more expectation of being able to transfer cards from multiplayer to single player (and vice versa).

OP
OP
Dazraell

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
What's the logic behind making it standalone from Gwent? It's Gwent's SP mode.

It's a simple move. CDPR knows that there are a lot of gamers who aren't interested in playing a multiplayer card game, which is a whole point of Gwent. Releasing this as a standalone game gives them opportunity to market Thronebreaker as a new RPG set in The Witcher universe. They have a potential to attract more people who wouldn't even try this if it would be attached to Gwent and they can avoid the whole confusion that Gwent is a free game and Thronebreaker is paid.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yesssss this is more appealing to me than the multiplayer F2P Gwent game. I can't get into that one.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Gwent is in a weird position right now. Game is fun to play and the meta is not that bad, but the factions have lost their identity and there are a bunch of balance problems like the coin Toss. Also fuck mill decks.

They are doing a relaunch, called Homecoming, in October iirc.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, hate this card shit. Does this mean I'm going to have to learn Gwent to play through this game? Sad to say, but I may have to take a pass on a CDPR Witcher RPG.
What did you think a game based on Gwent would be like? The card game (as it exists in TW3, at least) is fun. Couldn't really get into the F2P game myself though.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The game's a bit of a mess, currently. The PC game started well but as the open beta progressed the game went down a not-very-good path where a lot of faction identity was lost and the most unique mechanics were basically stripped back to the point where they didn't matter any more. The team have gone back to the drawing board completely, so I wouldn't expect news for a while.
Wow. Good that I bailed when they started messing with Skellige.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I played so many hours of the Microprose MTG game. I would do the same now with this one if it's anything like today's version of what that was.