• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
skull and bones isn't real. doesn't matter how many tweets you write about it

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I expect that in this game you'll "be" the ship in a sense. You won't really control a pirate that controls part of a ship but rather more like the initial reveal trailer and black flag where all the buttons are mapped to ship functions. In that sense I don't expect pirate vs pirate pvp or invasion/boarding or even player made crews (1 ship per player), just purely ship interactions.
Yeah if this has no MP aspect as a crew on a ship then idk how much longevity it will have.. playing as a crew is what makes something like Sea of Thieves shine. Playing 'as a ship' doesn't sound great to me if I'm looking for a pirate game to experience with friends. Might be okay for solo though then

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
One of the part that made AC Black flag awesome was the fact that you could leave the boat and explore the islands, all they had to do was make it an actual open world, matter of fact it could have been a AC game without the AC branding, a whole new I.P but have the parts that made it special and expand on that.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
This will have to be the Sea of Thieves 2 killer at this rate.

While on land, it's in third-person and you can only walk on foot in safe havens and hideouts. There is no combat, parkour, or anything special to walking as the captain other than to go meet NPCs.

So it's still primarily just ship combat-focused? Less exploration / swashbuckling? Makes it more distinct from SoT I guess, but that's a major turn-off for me.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Hope there's no ship boarding. That was always the most annoying part of ship battles in Black Flag.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This kind of sound like a pirate version of Chromehounds to me, which is pretty exciting. This is still a multiplayer game right?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I just want another game with ship combat as good as Assassin's Creed 4 and I am good (I still need to play Rogue though). So this sounds fine to me. Especially the part that on-foot is just interacting with NPCs and no combat/parkours. Just focus on the ship battles.
Ahh the sea of theives killer
Totally different games?

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
So Black Flag but just riddled with more Ubisoft xp packs, time packs, resource packs and such

Totally different games?
When Skull and Bones was revealed (eleventy million years ago) there was a lot of loud internet folks/sites shouting stuff like "This is the Sea of Thieves killer" or "Hey, Sea of Thieves but good"

Then S&B fucking vanished and Sea of Thieves went on to not get killed and to do alright.

Oct 27, 2017
The more like Pirates! the better. It's a timeless classic gameplay loop that may be more relevant now than ever.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
This game immediately sounds better but I have no idea how 100% playtime being while on your ship is going to play out. part of the appeal of black flag is that you can get off the wheel and walk among your crew and dive off the side of the ship and fuck around before climbing back up and taking off. Having my "body" be the ship basically other than slowly walking around NPC hubs does not sound..... great

I loved the ship combat in BF cause it was one super sharp component of a large experience. Having that be the ENTIRE game? ... it's a bold move, Cotton.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
If they've made the ship boarding aspect more of an automated stat-based thing that you can still see play out in some way, that could still be interesting, especially if you can customize your crew. I'm trying to be optimistic here.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Did they just look at sea of thieves and like, do that but worse? Why even bother. I guess if the Singapore thing is true that might be why.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it, just make Black Flag 2 but use the AC Odyssey era engine and mechanics.
Have MP ship battles.

Make certain areas instanced for easy co-op like Destiny's regions.

Ubisoft literally has the framework for the perfect outcome
Cover_Art_of_Tom_Clancy%27s_Ghost_Recon_Breakpoint.png

+
Assassin%27s_Creed_IV_-_Black_Flag_cover.jpg

+
ACOdysseyCoverArt.png

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds better than last time we got a report on it. Even though I'm sure it'd make for significantly better combat I still think being the ship, instead of 1 of the crew on a ship is a bad choice, especially if they are still going for that F2P SoT-like game from the last report, it's just a lot more fun with friends from that perspective.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I'd wait to actually see more of it but if the off ship segment are simply walking simulator that would be disappointing. We really desperately need a proper open world pirates game.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they won't turn this game into Black Flag 2. They are leaving money on the table like they did with Japanese Ass Creed (they let Sucker Punch beat them to it). Eventually someone else is going to make an amazing open world pirate game and Ubisoft will look like dummies.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if all this is true, then this game sure has changed a lot since I was working on it years ago haha

edit: and not for the better

Last edited:

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Small, Medium, Large, XL, XXL, blueprints, videogame.

All people wanted was more Black Flag without the AssCreed stuff, Ubi.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the ship combat in AC Black Flag was cool, but the ships were ridiculously nimble, and the world was bloated with so many randomly generated ships and events that I could never feel like I was sailing on the open seas.

But this being Ubisoft, no thanks.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Sounds ok… they should cut the on foot portion though, that part just sounds like boilerplate Ubisoft experience without any action.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
This sounds like it could be more of what I am looking for, depending on the execution of course. Reading those tweets I found my head nodding to pretty much everything and not really shaking my head to anything (the on land stuff got a shrug) but the gameplay will be the decider. Most likely the game I'm really looking for would be a mash up of this and SoT.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
skull and bones isn't real. doesn't matter how many tweets you write about it
I don't see what is not believable about this experience. They spent some years on R&D and took the Black Flag naval idea and expanded it in a ship only game with minimal exploration (or no on foot exploration). I don't see what is hard to believe about this particular game/case.

If anything, if we heard that they were rebooting it to include heavy on land exploration and parkour as well..perhaps then folks could be a bit more skeptical. I don't understand what went wrong with this game. On paper it makes sense and doesn't seem to be doing anything crazy.

The logical thing I think....is that their schedules were very full and they decided to make it nextgen only. Maybe they don't care too much about the loss of last-gen with their Assassins Creed and Rainbow Six and so on being crossgen. I just wanna see how ambitious the world is...And if it includes on foot exploration for sure. Ideally.. just give folks Black Flag with parkour and a huge world and islands.. But a story focused on pirates... Not assassins in a pirate era.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what is not believable about this experience. They spent some years on R&D and took the Black Flag naval idea and expanded it in a ship only game with minimal exploration (or no on foot exploration). I don't see what is hard to believe about this particular game/case.

If anything, if we heard that they were rebooting it to include heavy on land exploration and parkour as well..perhaps then folks could be a bit more skeptical. I don't understand what went wrong with this game. On paper it makes sense and doesn't seem to be doing anything crazy.

The logical thing I think....is that their schedules were very full and they decided to make it nextgen only. Maybe they don't care too much about the loss of last-gen with their Assassins Creed and Rainbow Six and so on being crossgen. I just wanna see how ambitious the world is...And if it includes on foot exploration for sure. Ideally.. just give folks Black Flag with parkour and a huge world and islands.. But a story focused on pirates... Not assassins in a pirate era.
https://kotaku.com/first-it-was-an-assassins-creed-expansion-now-its-ubis-1847326742

the development is such a mess I'll only believe it when i see it on shelves, so to speak.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I don't know, it might be fun, but I think I wanted more of Black Flag, with on foot gameplay as well. Of course they never promised that, it's just what I wanted.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Nov 2, 2018
No real walking on land or combat is a no from me.

Hardly a pirate fantasy. Great for people who want to be boats I guess

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The comments regarding having a smaller ship to get through thinner spots or more shallow waters are interesting though. It reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean 5 when young Jack quickly turned his ship around and the other one got stuck and went into the cave. I can see this game being fun. We just have to see what *else* it does.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Huh. I was like ok.. Sea of Thieves, but with player and ship progression. I can see a lot of people enjoying that. Much of the gaming community still has no idea how to connect with SOT and pine for levels and power progression. But... if you start on a raft and have to collect materials, that makes me think almost more of those survival crafting games, but.. without crafting(?). What happens when you lose your ship? Do you just respawn? What happens to those materials you gathered when you die?

I wonder how this will turn out one way or the other. These are all things that could well become popular, if things fall into place.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
if all this is true, then this game sure has changed a lot since I was working on it years ago haha

edit: and not for the better

Reading Jason Schreier coverage of this game I'm constantly amazed at the constant bad decisions that seem to have happened again and again. It had EVERYTHING to be a major success. Now, although it sounds fun, I don't see this becoming a beloved IP unless the devs rock it out of the park.

What was the gameplay loop when you were working on it?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I've been playing a lot of Sea of Thieves and while the sailing and ocean tech is amazing, it's a chore to play solo. If they're going for SoT but incredibly viable as a solo experience, they could have something. I hope it turns out all right. We need more pirate games.
Yeah i adore sea of thieves, but its really only fun with other poeple and it can be a hassle getting people to play.

Alot of his sounds promising, except for the lack of combat outside of ships. So are we not able to get off the ship and go and explore islands and fight enemies, or board ships ? Thats like the biggest draw of pirate games is exploring an island whilst also worrying about whats happening to your ship

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
I loved pirating in black flag, had a 75% complete save which had minimal story done, mostly was side stuff and then the save got corrupted and never went back. Too bad you can only walk around in hubs and hideouts. Now where do I bury my treasures?

Btw Is this MP only or is there a SP component?