• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Team Cherry's response:

Just a short one today Gang,

We're regretfully announcing the cancellation of physical copies of Hollow Knight and our partnership with Skybound Games.

As a team of 3 people still in intensive production of Hollow Knight, taking the game into the retail space (even with the extensive assistance of Skybound) proved more work than we could reasonably manage.

In future we will investigate other ways to deliver physical versions of Hollow Knight, though likely that will be in smaller quantities.

We'd like to thank Skybound for the amazing opportunity they provided, and for their professionalism and enthusiasm the whole way.

We are saddened to share that we'll no longer be working with @TeamCherryGames to bring #HollowKnight to new platforms. We absolutely love the game and wish Team Cherry continued success. We look forward to seeing what's next for them.

I wonder what happened? Damn shame that, at least from Skybound, the physical release of the game is no longer releasing. Hopefully someone else picks it up.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With the game being a huge success this partnership was probably not favorable to Team Cherry and told these people to eat it.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are skybound games the studio being drafted in to finish the walking dead game?

I may be completely muddled!

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this must be something on Team Cherry's end most definitely. It could be anything really. Hopefully they find a new partner for the physical release.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I was really looking forward to picking up a physical release to support the game, so I hope it still happens. But, yes, it sounds like it was more Team Cherry's decision?

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Team Cherry's response:

Just a short one today Gang,

We're regretfully announcing the cancellation of physical copies of Hollow Knight and our partnership with Skybound Games.

As a team of 3 people still in intensive production of Hollow Knight, taking the game into the retail space (even with the extensive assistance of Skybound) proved more work than we could reasonably manage.

In future we will investigate other ways to deliver physical versions of Hollow Knight, though likely that will be in smaller quantities.

We'd like to thank Skybound for the amazing opportunity they provided, and for their professionalism and enthusiasm the whole way.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hang on, "still in intensive production of Hollow Knight"? I thought the game and all DLCs were finished and released?

emb

Oct 28, 2017
That is a shame. I'm sure the game will get a boxed release some day though. And I'm eager to play it whenever it does.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Being cynical here but that sounds like a Limited Run Games release which I feel like would be prohibitively expensive for lots of people if the demand for a physical copy is what I think it's gonna be.
All LRG Switch stuff has been open pre-order though with costs only being $10 for the cart/dev take plus whatever the digital game cost has been. I don't think i'd call their releases prohibitively expensive.

Then we could even get another situation like with YL and Golf Story, and those prices are @ parity with the LRG price.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
All LRG Switch stuff has been open pre-order though with costs only being $10 for the cart/dev take plus whatever the digital game cost has been. I don't think i'd call their releases prohibitively expensive.

Then we could even get another situation like with YL and Golf Story, and those prices are @ parity with the LRG price.

I haven't kept up with their Switch output, but it's more of the scarcity and prices down the line that I'm worried about.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up with their Switch output, but it's more of the scarcity and prices down the line that I'm worried about.
They've been doing preorders for every Switch release thus far, so as long as you pay attention you really cant miss it. Not like their other games where they sell put in 5 minutes.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that sucks, but i REALLY hope the people who were waiting for a physical version just go ahead and buy it digitally. it's one of the best games of the generation, is unbelievably cheap, and shouldn't be ignored just cuz there's no physical version.

Last edited:

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
that sucks, but i REALLY hope the people who were waiting for a physical version just go ahead and buy it digitally. it's one of the best games of the generation, is unbelievably cheap, and shouldn't be ignored just cuz there's no physical version.

Yeah, the game is ludicrously cheap considering it's polish and value, and the game is fantastic. I'd love to double-dip with a physical edition to support the devs.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for the physical version, so this sucks. However, next year I'll probably just get the digital version once my backlog decreases at a rapid rate.

pontius

May 10, 2018
Are skybound games the studio being drafted in to finish the walking dead game?

I may be completely muddled!
Skybound Games is one arm of Skybound Entertainment, which is owned by Robert Kirkman, who writes the Walking Dead comics. They have some involvement with all the Walking Dead properties, including the Telltale series, which they're in the process of taking over.

Like Image Comics, which publishes The Walking Dead, creator rights are at the centre of their business model (which is why Kirkman has so much control over the various adaptations of his comics versus someone whose comic was put out by Marvel or DC). So I'd give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to whatever's happened with Hollow Knight.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Skybound Games is one arm of Skybound Entertainment, which is owned by Robert Kirkman, who writes the Walking Dead comics. They have some involvement with all the Walking Dead properties, including the Telltale series, which they're in the process of taking over.

Like Image Comics, which publishes The Walking Dead, creator rights are at the centre of their business model (which is why Kirkman has so much control over the various adaptations of his comics versus someone whose comic was put out by Marvel or DC). So I'd give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to whatever's happened with Hollow Knight.
Cool, good to know, thanks!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, if they have DLC coming then they can put that on the disc/cart too.

And by then they can probably afford it themselves

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I was actually waiting for the physical release to get this game... So now, do I just cave and buy it digitally or wait a little longer to see if they get some other deal...

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Physical is fucking amazing, and I have no inclination to pick up digital games any more. No physical, no Hollow Knight for me.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Physical is fucking amazing, and I have no inclination to pick up digital games any more. No physical, no Hollow Knight for me.
This is silly to me. The game is very cheap, comes with 40 hour base content plus 3 free dlc. It's the best metroidvania since SotN and Super Metroid. Support quality work by indie developers any way you can.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This is silly to me. The game is very cheap, comes with 40 hour base content plus 3 free dlc. It's the best metroidvania since SotN and Super Metroid. Support quality work by indie developers any way you can.

Physical is just completely sublime, and I have no reason to support a release format that I actively detest. Sorry, but that's the way it's going to be.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Skybound wanted to print way more initially than Team Cherry expects to sell (likely because of the overwhelmingly positive digital sales) so they want to work with someone who will do a smaller run.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Physical is just completely sublime, and I have no reason to support a release format that I actively detest. Sorry, but that's the way it's going to be.

I love Physical and while I do make some digital purchases I also understand your position. Nothing wrong with making a decision to wait for a Physical copy that I believe will still come eventually.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
People waiting on a physical version of this game are doing themselves a disservice, it is a masterpiece

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Wow that's a bizarre stance. 'Any more'? More and more games will be digital only, and this one has been for ages. It's a stellar game that's super cheap. Y'all weird.

Yeah, I have cut back my digital purchases and I'm increasingly avoiding them altogether. Why put my money into something that isn't the best product for me?

Nothing wrong with making a decision to wait for a Physical copy that I believe will still come eventually.

Also this. It's never too late for physical to happen.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I wonder what happened?" Etc.

It says it right there. 3 person team is tiny. They're still working on hollow knight content and now have like 4 platforms to support with patches and stuff. The extra stress on a tiny team likely not worth it compared to how much physical would sell.