• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
21 (NE) PS4 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM VR (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
26 (NE) NSW THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2017&year=2017&week=46

VR is a beast /s

I hope the Switch version does better in US since Bethesda did a really great job with it. Western third party games in UK for the Switch are kinda struggling at the moment. Maybe in the holidays they will show us some legs?

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
i suppose everyone in the entire world has played it at this point, maybe VR is just more of a change than simply playing it portable is.

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i suppose everyone in the entire world has played it at this point, maybe VR is just more of a change than simply playing it portable is.

I actually would like to know the difference in install bases for the PSVR and Switch in the UK. VR is probably way less at this point?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It's a fantastic experience in VR with some rough edges. I'm enjoying the game better now than I suspect I would have done playing it back in 2011 (as I was fatigued on the series). Bow & Arrow action <3

What's interesting here is that I suspect SkyrimVR actually has a really high percentage of digital sales (first reason being it's a VR title, second being on PS4).

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Not really surprising and while VR Skyrim sounds like a better proposition on paper, I'm learning to appreciate Skyrim on a whole new level due to me being able to play it anywhere. It being a fantastic port doesn't hurt either.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have both PSVR and Switch and I will go for VR version because of new experience. Switch doesn't offer me new experiences.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So from now on we'll assume Skyrim for switch has bombed hard, am I right? (edit : /s)

I think UK market is still not good for Nintendo even if it is slightly better than during WiiU days. I don't think UK paints an accurate overall picture though.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does this count the bundle copies with the 249.99 vr push?

I really want to play this. Wish that 249.99 bundle was the v.2 headset :(

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I think it's clear at this point that UK isn't going to be the best representation of how well Switch games might do.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

this. we're talking about a 6 year old game. i think anyone who wanted to re-experience it in it's vanilla 2D form would have bought the enhanced edition a year ago. VR is a new way to play a game. giving an old experience a fresh take. skyrim on the go is still just regular old skyrim like it's always been.

Oct 29, 2017
That's really good. Though does it include or exclude pack-ins?
That bundle got a crazy good dump price, and soared to +40,000% on Amazon UK, but it's unclear whether that was due to Skyrim, or simply having PSVR for 200 quid.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it outsells the Switch version in the US too. VR needs games way more than the Switch.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Skyrim Switch: £51

Skyrim PS4: £24.99

Skyrim Steam: £29.99

Skyrim VR PS4 - £42.38

I for one and stunned that people aren't buying the Switch version of the original game.......

If you want to play Skyrim why pay twice as much to play on a platform that is not exactly a graphical powerhouse.

I love my Switch - but I bought it for the likes of Pokemon, Golf Story and Mario - not Fifa

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Hmm I wonder how well Doom sold. If both Skyrim and Doom as well as FIFA not selling it will be telling the Switch is for a different audience.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the amount of games that Switch (and the price) got last week this is close... And on Sony land...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
VR owners are thirsty for new AAA content and Skyrim VR is like the best thing that launched for the device since RE7.

I wouldnt worry much about the Switch release - Skyrim is a evergreen title and will sell for a bit more than just this week. People keep overestimating the important of week 1 on these Switch retail releases. Lets talk again after the Holiday season once we have all the data from all markets.
So from now on we'll assume Skyrim for switch has bombed hard, am I right?
Why ? How much did you expect it to sell...and how much did it sold ?
UK is a weak market for Nintendo.
How much would Skyrim Switch have to sell in the UK in week 1 for the market to not be considered weak for Nintendo?

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
is UK really such a big reference market that it warrants its own "Nintendo is Doomed" thread with every -not so fantastic- release?

I mean, Sony dominates it anyway...

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Worth considering the number of folks who went digital on switch too. Portable skyrim makes a ton of sense for digital. But at the end of the day it is the same experience really whereas VR is a new one.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think we need confirmation if these Skyrim numbers include the copies that were given away for free with the 249.99 vr bundle selling over last week before we jump to conclusions

Oct 29, 2017
Skyrim Switch: £51

Skyrim PS4: £24.99

Skyrim Steam: £29.99

Skyrim VR PS4 - £42.38

I for one and stunned that people aren't buying the Switch version of the original game. i

If you want to play Skyrim why pay twice as much to play on a platform that is not exactly a graphical powerhouse.

I love my Switch - but I bought it for the likes of Pokemon, Golf Story and Mario - not Fifa
Not everyone cares about visual fidelity, If they all did no one would buy the VR version.

Which even with its bad textures and close up blur is phenomenal to play.

I think we need confirmation if these Skyrim numbers include the copies that were given away for free with the 249.99 vr bundle selling over last week before we jump to conclusions

Would that matter? It's still a sold copy and the fact people bought a PSVR now and a Skyrim bundle at that pretty much solidifies they are buying it for Skyrim first.

I don't think they are "free" you are still paying for them it's just the headset sinks the cost.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Skyrim in VR is mind blowing. Everyone should try it.

I hope it exceeds all expectations and is a huge success for all involved.

Word of mouth is off the charts for the VR version. Hell, its why I bought it. The praise was well earned.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually pretty crazy.
It's really a damn good VR game. Bethesda did a very good job here.

is UK really such a big reference market that it warrants its own "Nintendo is Doomed" thread with every -not so fantastic- release?

I mean, Sony dominates it anyway...
Well it looks like one Capcom interview warrants multiple Switch threads. So I guess 'new news = new thread' is okay here, too.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Not everyone cares about visual fidelity, If they all did no one would buy the VR version.

Which even with its bad textures and close up blur is phenomenal to play.

True! But I imagine many of those less performance fussy (including me!) people would also prefer to pay half the cost to play the same game on PS4 if they have the choice - unless they really really value portability on a game like Skyrim.

On a separate note - I don't buy that the UK is weak for Nintendo. Look at how every Pokemon game sells. The right Nintendo games sell well, but I don't blame anyone for not paying £50 for a game that came out on every other system in 2011

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted the Switch version but I forced myself to play my nearly untouched PS4 copy. I only play games in my living room so pointless to drop £50 on slightly worse version. I think the price was too high personally.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why so many threads of Skyrim sales in UK, both titles sold bad. Outside top 20 will be <5k probably.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
UK Switch physical game sales aren't helped by Amazon bungling them time and again, being unable to fill preorders by having lack of stock. Not that that would change the results to any great degree, but it's pushed me more towards digital.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Switch version still does well enough for Bethesda to continue their Switch support. It's such a joy to play this game on handheld, in the train on the commute or in bed late at night.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
But have you seen it's eShop position?

I wonder if Bethesda will talk about how they feel about their games performance on switch. I think they are generous with their expectations.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well seeing PSVR got no games and people who bought it are thirsty for games to play, anything will sell decently well on it /s

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Surprising.

On the other hand, the Switch got Doom, Rocket League, LA Noire, Batman Telltale and Skyrim all in the span of one week and just few weeks before got Mario Odyssey. It has quite a bit of competition.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Well it looks like one Capcom interview warrants multiple Switch threads. So I guess 'new news = new thread' is okay here, too.
Capcoms statements offered more data though - this thread is about Skyrim VR selling maybe 1-2k more copies than the Switch release. If we had at least numbers it would be more interesting. Otherwise i dont know why anyone would expected Skyrim Switch at full price to just sell much better than other games available right now.

For a game that is sold at full price and isnt part of any console bundle it did rather well. Add in the 10 SKU that are occupied by Fifa, CoD, Battlefront, GTA and Assasins Creed - you have a clear picture of the market. There is a reason why games like Wolfenstein 2 are having their price slashed very soon after release so they can keep selling and get rid of stock.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It's no. 2 on the eshop here behind only Rocket League. The physical Switch version was sold out most places too.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Using the UK market as an accurate representation of worldwide sales for any Nintendo product is not a good idea.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Skyrim VR is a new experience while the Switch version is just another port of the good old Skyrim.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim in VR is one of the most impressive gaming experiences Ive had in over 30 years as a gamer. And I had already spent close to 300 hours it!

I really hope this encourages other devs to consider doing VR version of older titles as well.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
UK Switch physical game sales aren't helped by Amazon bungling them time and again, being unable to fill preorders by having lack of stock. Not that that would change the results to any great degree, but it's pushed me more towards digital.
Yeah I wonder how much of an effect this had on the Switch sales. Amazon have been out of stock for four days now and haven't even been able to fulfil preorders from weeks ago. They even reduced the price last week to £42 (or £40 if you had Prime). I just cancelled my preorder with them when it was obvious on Thursday they wouldn't have stock any time soon and traded in some old 3DS and Wii U games at GAME to get it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprising tbh, albeit it can be explained with the fact that VR experience is new, it's also an expensive set and there aren't many big games on it, so if you invested in a VR set you're likely interested in one of the rare triple-A titles on it. Even if you already played it to death, VR changes the experience. Switch, portability aside, doesn't really change much, and if you really really really needed Skyrim on the go, a low-mid range laptop can run it fine.

Then again this is only the UK, I don't think this will be the global trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.