Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blows my mind how people on here will accept certain things from even a vague off line in a game or a tweet but other things that are honestly expected they still insist that they need proof.
Skyward Sword is inevitable, as is Windwaker WiiU port. I honestly really hope we get a Twilight Princess port also.
Look forward and enjoy them, or do not buy them and don't.
Many of us will be down day one.

will never understand the hate Skyward Sword gets when Wind Waker is 10x more boring.
People were really REALLY salty about the waggle when it released.

OP
OP
YolkFolk

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
No, it really doesn't. Godawful motion controls forced on you, the worst companion character in the series, the constant tutorial-style messages every time you play the game, the bug that could kill your game progress with no way out of it if you did the wrong thing in the wrong order. It looks nice, and probably has the best Link/Zelda relationship in the series, but it's the closest the mainline Zelda series has come to being an actual straight up bad game.

The controls worked perfectly fine for me and many other players.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking that some of you in here just don't understand how improved and how much more consistent Skyward Sword's controls would be on Switch, since the Joy Cons have much better gyro sensors that don't drift as easily as WM+ did, and more importantly, they DON'T have a forward-facing IR sensor that automatically interprets any IR light in your vicinity as the Wii's fixed-position sensor bar, so the controls will quite simply 'work' for those of you who experienced the terror of playing Skyward Sword in a room with windows.

Anyone writing off a Switch version because they expect the controls not to work well, again... they don't understand that what made the Wii version's controls imperfect in the first place was a hardware flaw that wasn't compensated for well enough by the game's design - a hardware flaw that nevertheless doesn't exist on Switch.

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to get a Zelda collection of some kind. BotW wasn't really my cup of tea and I'd love to have some classic Zelda dungeon gameplay on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword was made for the Wii mote so it could be interesting to see what they could do with all those extra buttons.
I think you could only equip 3 items at once, and had to switch placements on B? 4 at once now

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
God everytime i hear or think about this game i get so annoyed. Its such fucking garbage. Half the game is filler and the fucking handholding. There is no way they can remove the filler without the game falling apart. I really hope they are making better use of their time. I don't even mind the controls. It worked for me but fuck was the game boring and monotonous.

Fuck Skyward Sword.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
If they reengineer the controls for a pro controller that could be cool. Would also want to see 1080p docked and some QoL features.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I wouldn't mind them adding a reworked version of the game that allowed for traditional button controls.

For myself, motion controls elevated the game. Felt satisfying to beat puzzles and enemies that were designed with them in mind.

The 1:1 sword combat made it special and unique. I felt connected to Link by twisting my hand and the sword reflecting my movements on screen.

jaksek

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This fucking game was the reason I didn't care for BOTW announcement. Such a fucking buzz kill.

Gladly Nintendo got their shit together and blew me away with BOTW. Fuck Skyward Sword, bloated mess full of handholding and frustrating game design.

Desert level was the only good thing about it.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I know this would be much more work than they put into Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but let us play through Zelda's adventure. Showing her going through the temples one step ahead of us and then teasing with screenshots of her doing stuff during the credits is the worst.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be so pleased if this happened. I've been wanting to play SS again recently but don't wanna drag out the Wii U.

My favorite pre-BotW Zelda. Though I am curious if it'll be as fun for me without the motion controls.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, objectively. Much higher resolution, wide-screen, much improved object shadows. The lightning is technically superior, but leads to a style change, since it's not as excessively flat anymore. This is where the subjectivity comes into play.

Nothing to do with being a graphic artist, but with being subjectively over attached to the cel shading style of the original's visuals. I for one much, much prefer the remake's lightning and the resulting, far less flat color palet. It's a style change and a slight one at that, not a downgrade. What you call "breaking the cel shading", I call "making the lightning look nicer". Personal preference.

It's oK to personally not like the style change, but that doesn't make it an objective downgrade.

As far as celshading goes, it is a downgrade objectively speaking. And since it was celshaded to begin with, i feel confident calling it a downgrade, inspite of technological improvements.

Agree and disagree. I don't disagree the Gamecube version was the art style as it was "meant to be", but I can't deny how good and even more colourful the Wind Waker HD version is.

...It honestly feels like the animation transition from 'then' and 'now', Disney movies going from animated to the CGI approach, doesn't it? I kinda don't feel like saying either style is better and they're both good.
Those images are of scenery, not of characters. I could live with the richer suroundings, but in the character models it just looked a lot more tacky.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy seeing the amount of people who never played this gem.

It's easily in the top 3 3D Zeldas for me. It's so good! The dungeons are perfection.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts

It's easily in the top 3 3D Zeldas for me. It's so good! The dungeons are perfection.
It's a crazily underrated game. Flaws aside, I was actually able to complete it and I was never confused about what to do and I never had choice paralysis. Meanwhile, BOTW sits there, and every time I play it I just feel lost and disinterested.

Skyward Sword did everything right that Twilight Princess did wrong, IMO. The dungeons are almost as good and the combat is way more fun. The world design is more interesting as well, despite the Sky which was like a worse version of Wind Waker's ocean.

Remove Fi's handholding and the game improves exponentially. Streamline item pickups and it gets even better. Fine-tune (or remove) the motion controls in areas that were previously frustrating (the tad-tones one, for example). Do that and the game becomes brilliant.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game. Loved especially the time stone mechanics. Only issue I had was swimming/swimming controls.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I think skyward Sword has my favorite story in a zelda game. It also has great characters, dungeons, and music. It's top 3 zelda for me.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than a remastered and improved HD Skyward Sword coming for Switch and Amir0x still being in prison.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017

It's a game that shoots itself in the foot often with some jarring and unnecessary lows (mostly regarding Fi), but it has some of the highest highs in the entire series. Combat is great, dungeons are fantastic, and it looks/sounds incredible.

Not to mention the best story and characters in the entire franchise, by far.

If they go the route of Wind Waker HD and redo the lighting, it could be interesting, but it'd be a shame to lose the original game's look. We'll have to see what they have in mind.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the more I think about the idea of Skyward Sword HD being a thing, the more I get excited.

I haven't felt this excited for a Zelda game since...Twilight Princess HD. :D :D :D:D

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I really want this to happen. I assume any delay in this game coming out would be mainly making it work with normal button inputs versus just motion controls.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I want the Joycon to vibrate like hell when you face those people which block with Electric Sticks.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Whoa, I did not realise how hated Skyward Sword is (never played it, only got 3ds and Switch).

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
After watching the Gamexplain discussion it sounds like they need to remove the Imprisoned's toes and force players to climb above him and jump on his head. Seems most people don't know you can do this. It's the far more enjoyable way of beating him.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Would the Joy-Cons be better or worse than the Motion Plus for motion controls?

The only thing I ever had trouble with was the bomb bowling.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Dreadful game. Slower first few hours than TP. Didn't think that was possible. The sword mechanics never clicked for me and the first boss battle was a fucking nightmare. Swore off it right away. The color palette was a hideous mish mash. The Wii resolution hindered it further. Just let it die and give us the next big game imo. I'll take a Wind Waker HD port though. That game's destined to remain timeless, visually.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I enjoyed Skyward Sword a bunch. If there is an HD port, I really hope they do some quality of life improvements (I know Wind Waker got a few QoL improvements where it mattered, esp. sailing; I feel TP got some changes too?).

Two of the biggest ones is allowing us to skip Fi's dialogue a bit more (I like Fi as a character, I really do, but please I can figure stuff out) and removing tadtones. Just... remove tadtones.

Oct 25, 2017
If they go the route of Wind Waker HD and redo the lighting, it could be interesting, but it'd be a shame to lose the original game's look. We'll have to see what they have in mind.
I hated how the redid the lighting in Wind Waker. I love the more strict cel-shaded look that is retained when the original game is up-rezed.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
They would probobaly have to redesign the entire game from the ground up for traditional controls to even work. It's just not worth it. Designing any game around motion controls or any other control gimmick, always turns out to be a massive mistake in retrospect.
I didn't test the game that way, but It seems that there's a mod on Dolphin or something to "aim" the sword etc using the analogs.

Maybe it's possible.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Dreadful game. Slower first few hours than TP. Didn't think that was possible. The sword mechanics never clicked for me and the first boss battle was a fucking nightmare. Swore off it right away. The color palette was a hideous mish mash. The Wii resolution hindered it further. Just let it die and give us the next big game imo. I'll take a Wind Waker HD port though. That game's destined to remain timeless, visually.
Now this is nonsese. Skyloft is much much shorter and the tutorials are all optional. And everything you are required to do is actually important for world and character building, unlike TP. SS has nothing on TP's goat herding, children impressing, baby basket saving, fishing, tear collecting, and monkey chasing. As much as people complain about going through areas multiple times in SS, TP makes you go through Faron woods three goddamn times in a row before the first dungeon.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Would need a massive rework. This game had so many of the wrong things of Aounuma-era Zelda (puzzles, handholding companion, hub that's not a hub but really is a hub). BoTW was so refreshing because it tossed all that and is where Zelda needs to go, not backward. I didn't mind the motion controls, but I feel that's the other controversial issue to address.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I loved SS, while not perfect. If this is true, I hope it's not just a higher resolution. Give it the FF Remaster treatment.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a full graphical remake then I'll double dip again.

Hopefully they tone down the bloom, and don't ruin the look with too many lighting changes.

If they modify it for full play without motion controls in handheld mode then I hope they also allow you to play that way in docked mode.

I hate how let's go forces you to motion control throw the ball on docked mode, when it allows push button throw in handheld mode.