• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is insane, and any dev (and publisher) that still don't care about the Chinese (and other growing) market are missing a lot of potential sales.
Since last checking in, sales of Slay the Spire have risen to over 1.5 million and the game has seen some interesting growth in unexpected markets. In a talk given at GDC, Mega Crit announced that Slay the Spire has seen a sharp rise of interest in China, accounting for nearly half of all sales.

"The thing that's really important here is that China made up 43% of all sales(…) and this is before any localisation was available in the game, so there were a lot of confused players."
There's a lesson here to be learned about the need for localisation and translation in games to maximise their market potential. After all, figures revealed at GDC show that only 41% of Slay the Spire's player base is English-speaking.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/slay-the-spire/slay-the-spire-sales

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I think China is responsible for over 50% of PUBG's sales too. China's a huge market.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Various indie games on steam update with chinese language, and more indie devs should aim to include them as well.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it is enough to check some of the games on Steam and turn on All Languages option in reviews section to see how many reviews are from Asian countries.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, we are seeing the likes of Sony care about China. Couple with news like this and with China becoming more prominent, we're probably gonna see more publishers care in the future

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yep.
If you're releasing a new game on Steam today and you're NOT releasing it with Chinese support, you're pretty throwing loads of money in the trash.
To be fair tho, one would need an external team to localize the additional languages so adding them down the line should be priority alongisde any bug fixes etc.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty insane, and I wonder how publishers feel by potentially tapping out of the China market with the store exclusive nonsense.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Developers on Epic Store don't care who their customers are and they mostly don't care about customers. They got money in advance and that is all that matters to them.

Basically this. Nobody who signed up for EGS exclusivity thought "this will definitely increase my sales!" They simply thought "Epic just gave me $5 million so I don't actually need to sell any units for the first year, at which point I'll just put the game on Steam anyway."

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what drove the chinese base to buy.
A popular Chinese streamer streamed the game. That's it. This was back when the game was in early access and was near dead. All of a sudden everyone in China who could understand English or think they could understand English was checking it out.

Developers on Epic Store don't care who their customers are and they mostly don't care about customers. They got money in advance and that is all that matters to them.
Epic is partly owned by Tencent and Tencent has its own game store front WeGame in China. This might not be a decision from Epic at all.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
43% or 30%?

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3390...pire_has_sold_more_than_15_million_copies.php

's saving grace was when a Chinese streamer discovered the game and gave sales a much-needed shot in the arm. China now accounts for 30 percent of Slay the Spire's sales so far.

After only managing 800 sales in those first few days, Slay the Spire had sold 700,000 copies by April 2018, around 3 months into early access. Less than a year later, that number has now more than doubled to 1.5 million.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game, I got back into it the other day, probably played like 15.2h this week.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if someone made a store and didn't support China.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ok now why is THIS an Epic topic now too

Cut that out and talk about Slay The Spire's success, there are plenty of other Epic topics right now

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, I can't fault their taste in games ... this time.

Slay the Spire is so far my GOTY for 2019.

fall_ark

Mar 20, 2019
Shanghai, China

At the beginning when no one else found the game yet it was closer to 43% and now it's closer to 30%.
Same thing for Dead Cells. The game was streamed by a few Chinese content creators before release and became popular ("4K wishlists in two days" was what I was told). For a short while 50% of total sales were from China, now it's closer to 20% I think.