• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
$100 seems like a lot for just the game! I'll back it but damn

OP
OP
AvianAviator

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
you pay shipping on top of the $100 too. shipping will probably start in the $15-20 range, and possibly more depending on where you live.
They have a chart for shipping costs on their campaign page. Here it is for more visiblity:

5AFAF812-0711-4115-96A4-59C14CFB7BA9.jpg

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I was expecting a lower price as well.
Just got the Everdell complete collection and that has a ridiculous amount of content for $200. I know that's probably not a fair comparison, but I'm just not seeing how you charge $100 for what I'm seeing. The sleeves should have been an add on and just reduce their price from the game.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
You kinda need the sleeves if you are going to upgrade cards, unless you make a totally different deck of cards for upgrades and then you have to go search through hundreds of cards to find your upgraded Claw+ and yuck. I get that. I'm just not sure if any board game is worth $100 in the same way that I'm not sure any video game is worth $100. (Still gonna buy it - I have over 1000 hours on StS)

transience

Oct 27, 2017
I started watching some of the video reviews on the kickstarter and they're pulling me back in. Mostly just looking at the manual:

e1EnwWt.png

I don't do TTG much at all, at least not serious ones, but I can't help but laugh admiringly at unlocks, achievements and a daily climb mechanic in a physical game.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
$100 is quite a lot for just a board game...I do love StS though, and would be a great way to introduce my friends to playing it. Gonna have to think about it though. And I hope this isn't a limited run item.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would instapledge this, but I've been low on funds so I may have to pass, we'll see. At least a friend got in, so I'll play it anyways at the end :P

Surprisingly cheap shipping costs for EU, that's a nice one.

And oh my god, that Beta art.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
$100 is quite a lot for just a board game...I do love StS though, and would be a great way to introduce my friends to playing it. Gonna have to think about it though. And I hope this isn't a limited run item.

It this really a better way of introducing people to the game than just… introducing them to the game? It's on everything now, including mobile.

If anything this feels like more of a novelty for hardcore fans than a good entry point.

I'm still kind of torn between thinking it's awesome to see a physical version of a game I love, but also thinking it seems like a mess. Just seeing all the components is overwhelming. How long is it going to take to set all this up? I would have been more interested if this was more of an "inspired by StS" thing with the same characters and some of the same mechanics but more of an interpretation.

Still, it is cool to see. I might see if I can buy the little figurines of the characters somehow.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Like the board game would naturally be easier since there's no BS going on in the background 😏

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
It this really a better way of introducing people to the game than just… introducing them to the game? It's on everything now, including mobile.

If anything this feels like more of a novelty for hardcore fans than a good entry point.

I'm still kind of torn between thinking it's awesome to see a physical version of a game I love, but also thinking it seems like a mess. Just seeing all the components is overwhelming. How long is it going to take to set all this up? I would have been more interested if this was more of an "inspired by StS" thing with the same characters and some of the same mechanics but more of an interpretation.

Still, it is cool to see. I might see if I can buy the little figurines of the characters somehow.
Some of my friends would be more likely to sit down and play a board game then for me to recommend them a video game, just because of the social aspect really. So I think socially, it is easier for sure (especially since this is coop, and you can talk out decisions and stuff).

Of course the greatest strength of StS (the video game) is that it conveys all right in front of you, and doesn't leave anything hidden really. Just watching one of the videos of the board game, it looks like they have simplified a lot of things, since I think they acknowledge that people who have either played the game for hundreds of hours, or are huge math and analytical players will know the rules right away, but will need to be more easily explainable for a broader audience. Things as simple as strikes going from 6 down to 1 damage, vulnerable being double, poison not going down by one each turn...these are small changes, but they make it less daunting and not as much of a fumble for figuring out the rules. I think it will still carry the same things we love about StS, but keep it approachable and simple for a board game, granted there are a lot of moving parts, but that's also kinda the appeal of a board game, right?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Some of my friends would be more likely to sit down and play a board game then for me to recommend them a video game, just because of the social aspect really. So I think socially, it is easier for sure (especially since this is coop, and you can talk out decisions and stuff).

Of course the greatest strength of StS (the video game) is that it conveys all right in front of you, and doesn't leave anything hidden really. Just watching one of the videos of the board game, it looks like they have simplified a lot of things, since I think they acknowledge that people who have either played the game for hundreds of hours, or are huge math and analytical players will know the rules right away, but will need to be more easily explainable for a broader audience. Things as simple as strikes going from 6 down to 1 damage, vulnerable being double, poison not going down by one each turn...these are small changes, but they make it less daunting and not as much of a fumble for figuring out the rules. I think it will still carry the same things we love about StS, but keep it approachable and simple for a board game, granted there are a lot of moving parts, but that's also kinda the appeal of a board game, right?

I wouldn't say "a lot of moving parts" is the appeal of a board game at all. My favorite (and many of the most popular) games tend to have very little setup and moving parts. And while I like board games in general and have spent a lot of time playing them, I don't have have any interest in games that have a ton of parts. I'm thinking games like Agricola, Caverna, Terra Mystica…

Those games are very well-reviewed and I'm sure they're fun if you have the time to devote to them, but like I said, I'm just not interested. I'd rather do something fun rather than spend twenty minutes setting up and packing away.

Is this game as complex as those? Probably not, but it does look like it has a lot of pieces. Something like Wingspan is about as far as I'm willing to go as far as setting stuff up, and the fact that that game looks beautiful to everyone I've played it with helps a lot. I personally think it's really cool to see a physical version of StS. I'm not sure people unfamiliar with the game will think it's particularly cool-looking.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Is this expected to be made available at retail in the future, or is this Kickstarter campaign the only way to get your hands on it?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That Neow's All In is sooo pricy, but it's sooo good: beta art box with every card (I never thought they would do this) , those playmats, the coins... This is just a fan's wet dream right here, can't believe it. They also included a claw pack, lol

The other day I was thinking how great it would be if some select cards got their popular beta art (like Wraith Form), but now they went all out on that and you can have them all.

It's a lot of money for the Neow's but I'd always regret not going for that version so I'm probably gonna do it.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as there's no early bird pledge I'm gonna sit on this until the last couple of days. Then probably pledge for the highest tier because I can't resist ;_;

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Coop's cool but don't know a lot of what I like about StS is that it's a video game. I'll wait for retail/final reviews.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Seeing as there's no early bird pledge I'm gonna sit on this until the last couple of days. Then probably pledge for the highest tier because I can't resist ;_;
Worth getting in now just to have a lower backer number (which shipping order generally broadly corresponds with, at least within a specific region and reward tier). Can always cancel it later if you change your mind. They're also saying you'll be able to upgrade from the $1 tier to anything else after the campaign.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a full act 1 playthrough of the board game:

View: https://youtu.be/RTD43OUqdCU

There's so many interesting changes here in the spirit of keeping the math simple while also keeping the game balanced. I think I really like it at first glance but I have no idea, and I'm sure there are things I won't like with so many changes and with so many hours of StS under my belt. There's even some new synergies that I would never have thought of, like Ironclad's Rampage changing to doing damage depending on how many exhausted cards you have. That's super interesting. A lot of the relics are now dice based too which completely changes their value. Can't wait to get this in like a year (hopefully - you know Kickstarter promises).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
www.kickstarter.com

Slay the Spire: The Board Game

A cooperative deckbuilding adventure!

View: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/contentiongames/slay-the-spire-the-board-game

View: https://youtu.be/KIorv0ZqEQg

Popular roguelike and one of the best Game Pass games Slay the Spire is a perfect fit for a tabletop experience. For that reason, it's not all that surprising to see more than 10,000 backers pledge almost $1.5 million on Kickstarter in the first day of the campaign being live, annihilating its meagre $50,000 goal to be fully funded and then some in next to no time.

Tiers that include the Board Game:
$100 - Board Game, Claw Pack, Applicable Stretch Goals
$145 - Board Game, Claw Pack, Character Playmats, Meta Coins & Merchant Bag, Applicable Stretch Goals
$210 - Board Game, Claw Pack, Character Playmats, Meta Coins & Merchant Bag, Table Playmat, Carry Bag, Beta Art, Applicable Stretch Goals

www.trueachievements.com

Slay the Spire board game nears $1.5m in first day on Kickstarter

Slay the Spire's board game adaptation has finally found its way onto Kickstarter after having originally been planned to begin crowdfunding last year, and the campaign is off to a pretty incredible start.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, fully funded in 6 minutes.

Also, we've been talking about it here:
www.resetera.com

Slay the Spire: The Board Game Kickstarter is now Live! [Funded - Stretch Goals Soon] News

Update: The Kickstarter will go LIVE on November 1st. Update 2: NOW LIVE! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/contentiongames/slay-the-spire-the-board-game Contention Games will be raising funds on Kickstarter for a Slay the Spire board game. It's not live just yet, but this project has been...

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's an excellent first day for it. Seen a lot about the game the last few days but hadn't seen the price. I guess they've added a lot of overhead for shipping in the $100 given the prices for the actual shipping costs aren't too bad.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Um, this is up to 1,5 mil already. Is that a lot compared to other boardgames? No idea, but it sure seems like a big success. StS thirst is strong.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Um, this is up to 1,5 mil already. Is that a lot compared to other boardgames? No idea, but it sure seems like a big success. StS thirst is strong.

It's good money, but the top10 on tabletop games starts around 6 mil or so, although the price of many of those are much higher or, in some cases, much smaller, so it's a bit missleading. For instance, Kingdom Death 1.5 got over 12 million, but with "just" 19k backers, while Exploding Kittens got 9 million with 220k people behind 😅.

Slay the Spire it's already at 11k, which is quite a bit for just a day.

Tabletop Simulator Demo!
OP
OP
AvianAviator

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Unless you mass produce things like Monopoly I imagine it's not cheap all things considering. You don't want to sell it at cost if a lot of it is labor intensive.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
So I received my copy the other day - I backed at whatever was one tier above the base. The packaging and actual physical items, from cards to mats to tokens, etc. seem pretty slick. There is a misprint for a rule on an ascension that they've provided a little sticker for the manual as a "patch" of sorts, but it's not the worst.

I've been reading the rule book here and there but haven't had a chance to sit down and actually play a game. Has anybody actually played a game? what's your experience been?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I received my Collector's Edition two days ago. I was pretty surprised at the weight of the package, 6kg. But I've been busy this weekend and didn't have time to open it up yet.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
So I received my copy the other day - I backed at whatever was one tier above the base. The packaging and actual physical items, from cards to mats to tokens, etc. seem pretty slick. There is a misprint for a rule on an ascension that they've provided a little sticker for the manual as a "patch" of sorts, but it's not the worst.

I've been reading the rule book here and there but haven't had a chance to sit down and actually play a game. Has anybody actually played a game? what's your experience been?

I got mine a few weeks ago (Australia) and have played it a few times.

IMO, it is an excellent translation of the computer game. Top marks from me.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017

I've only played a few games in Tabletop Simulator and in a mod for the actual videogame that adapts the board game XD, and it feels a really neat translation. There are some things that I need to get used to, like how all the relics work, but overall got a nice impression.

The true test will be whenever I get a chance to play in multiplayer, but that will probably wait until I receive the physical copy, whenever that may be. I received an email almost two weeks ago to confirm my address from the shipping agency that will do my EU area, and we know the container with the stuff arrived the 6th, but since then there hasn't been any news.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I just set everything up for the first time to play one combat, mostly to familiarize myself with the rules so that I can quickly bring my wife up to speed on the board game changes (she has 500 hours in StS). Certain things are 1:1, but the addition of a die to proceedings, and how the die triggers relics and enemy intentions is something that I'll have to get used to. Weak and vulnerable being permanent until you get an attack off is interesting as well

I will say that as someone who doesn't play board games, this seems like a ton of setup and both physical and mental upkeep. I'm sure it's all relative, and that other games are even more burdensome in those respects (*glares at Gloomhaven*), but I'm reminded of why StS works so damn well as a digital-first card game.

Still, the co-op component of it is why I backed it, and obviously there is a tactile appeal to a physical card game. I'm looking forward to sitting down and actually playing a game.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Just played one act tonight with two players, so I'm ready to post some thoughts.

It's good. It's really good, imo. It captures everything that made the original game great and makes it even more fun in co-op. There are numerous roguelike deckbuilders on Steam by now, and having tried some, I can say that their biggest problem is that they're just not Slay the Spire. This board game is Slay the Spire in physical form, with logical rule changes where they're needed.

With players taking simultaneous turns, there's a ton of strategy involved with when to take each action, especially with how vulnerable and weak applies to targets. Playing co-op does take much longer though, because of the simultaneous turns and the corresponding amount of time spent planning each turn out.

One of the things that I was worried about was being bogged down in bookkeeping, but at least by the end of act 1, it wasn't that bad. As players of the video game, we sometimes didn't even bother moving our energy and block tokens because we already knew the outcome. I love the small numbers involved, which scratches a similar itch to Paper Mario or older Fire Emblems. That said, this probably becomes a bigger issue in act 3 or playing Defect or Watcher.

Regardless, it really does seem to be a brilliant adaptation of the digital game, and I would recommend it to anybody with a passing interest in the genre.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Um, so I'm getting a bit worried. My friend has already gotten his game in wednesday and I haven't gotten it yet. We live pretty closeby in a small country so I thought I'd get it around the same time.

I know it says on the backer updates that you should be patient and not compare with others in the same country, but still. I don't even know if you're supposed to get package status mails, I only got one from the delivery service they used (Matagot) to confirm my address, which I did.
If I don't get it early next week I may send a support mail. I ordered the version with beta cards so I spent a lot of money on this. So it's normal to be a bit anxious I think

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Did you both buy the same things, or the order was a bit different? Collector's vs Regular, extra sleeves, Beta Art, whatever. That may make quite a bit of difference, as usually these things are send from more common/easiest to sort and then move to more specific orders.

Personally I got the Matagot mail to confirm address as everybody else, but still nothing else since then.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Did you both bought the same things, or the order was a bit different? Collector's vs Regular, extra sleeves, Beta Art, whatever. That may make quite a bit of difference, as usually these things are send from more common/easiest to sort and then move to more specific orders.

Personally I got the Matagot mail to confirm address as everybody else, but still nothing else since then.
Yeah it was different. He bought the regular full set, I got that and the beta cards box. So yeah, mine was definitely the 'rarer' one then. I hope you're right and that's the reason it's taking longer.