• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
So I know Bill Maher is an idiot but his latest prediction relating to 2022 midterms and 2024 presidential race and specifically how Trump is and has been angling to force his way back in office through various ways and means described in the video... seems to me at least, pretty sound and therefore worrying. What are your thoughts Era? Am I just scared cuz uninformed?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
There was a coup, people should be worried I don't understand why everyone is pussyfooting around what happened considering how y'all are dealing with the aftermath ie. have done absolutely nothing.

OP
OP
Sunster

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
There was a coup, people should be worried I don't understand why everyone is pussyfooting around what happened considering how y'all are dealing with the aftermath ie. have done absolutely nothing.
Agree, as he says in the video Democrats are living in a dream world where they think it's just business as usual.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The problem is we have to watch 8 minutes and 31 seconds of Bill Maher to properly respond.

I got you. It's admittedly disturbing to watch that, and not just because of Bill Maher.

"Trump is a shark who has gone out to sea, not gone."
"Trump has been quietly removing Republicans who opposed him or voted to impeach him."

Basically, Bill's saying that 2024 will be decided in 2022 with whoever stooges are being installed right now.
The end of the video is over the top though. 500K Republican protestors raid DC in Jan 2025?

Bill ends the video saying "I hope I scared the shit out of you."

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
So I know Bill Maher is an idiot but his latest prediction relating to 2022 midterms and 2024 presidential race and specifically how Trump is and has been angling to force his way back in office through various ways and means described in the video... seems to me at least, pretty sound and therefore worrying. What are your thoughts Era? Am I just scared cuz uninformed?

People laughing at this is both frightening and extremely sad.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"The Ding Dongs, who sacked the Capitol last year? That was like when Al Qaeda tried to take down the World Trade Center the first time with a van," "It was a joke. But the next time they came back with planes."

47bbc47f-f4f2-4d8a-befd-6d78dec60125_text.gif

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, at least we can hold out hope that Donald just falls to a heart attack in the next 3 years. Maybe that'll push off the end of American democracy by another 4-8 years.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, we've done plenty as a country.

Republicans across the country have implemented an unprecedented amount of new targeted suppression mechanisms and barriers to vote, and fostered toxic norms within the culture of the party that has primed the pump for the next attempt to over turn fair election results, or double down on fascism while in power, as fair and justified.

If you mean Democrats? Yeah, they've basically decided, thanks to the "moderate" wing, that civility politics and reaching across the aisle, no matter how fascistic the other person is, is more important than standing strong for democracy....Which baffles me as to how that type of person gets away with being labeled a "moderate."

As for everyday normal people? We kinda deserve it tbh. We can't seem to muster concern about anything existential unless you can roll that threat up into a super villain like Bush or Trump. The moment they are gone we become the frog in the water slowly being raised to a boil. We just don't care.

Last edited:

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
What am I realistically gonna do, huh? It's the elected officials who need to actually take the reins here and they're not really doing anything about it. Should I go out and violently remove these lawmakers? I can't worry about something I've got no way to fix, honestly. It's bad news sure, but I'm tapped out here.

OP
OP
Sunster

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Basically, Bill's saying that 2024 will be decided in 2022 with whoever stooges are being installed right now.
The end of the video is over the top though. 500K Republican protestors raid DC in Jan 2025?

Bill ends the video saying "I hope I scared the shit out of you."
That would only happen he says if Kamala didn't certify the results which of course she will no matter what happened during the election process because Dems follow all rules and all norms no matter what.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if coup attempts will be necessary since others can take over Trump's game plan and the man himself is ultimately unnecessary in the way that any right wing talking head tends to be disposable, but I do think it's long past due for people to stop thinking that he was a harmless clown. He was a fascist and his priorities were to retain power through force and control. He was a poor president by the metrics that measure his service to the society he's in, but that was never the goal that he was working towards.

Not that this affects me directly anyhow. I have the luxury of sitting on the outside looking in.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, definitely worried. I was optimistic about Trump losing in 2020 and being unable to cheat his way to a second term. I was also optimistic about some in the Republican Party moving on from Trump after their reaction to January 6th, but the ones that matter made a 180 on that. Here's to hoping Trump is unable to run for whatever reason and whoever gets the nomination either lacks his appeal or his complete lack of morals.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thankful to live in a state that isn't afraid to stand up to the GOP, but this is definitely a concern of mine, yes.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
What am I realistically gonna do, huh? It's the elected officials who need to actually take the reins here and they're not really doing anything about it. Should I go out and violently remove these lawmakers? I can't worry about something I've got no way to fix, honestly. It's bad news sure, but I'm tapped out here.
Yeah I don't know how we make these people do their jobs.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
im not to worried cuz i'll just go somewhere else

Me too actually. I've been prepared to leave since January 2020 but then COVID shut down my destination's borders so I'm just waiting for them to reopen.

It's hardly that simple, if things get to an actual coup status you're going to have a hard time going anywhere because you won't be the only people trying to leave. You know how every time there's something really bad that happens and you read on the news all the countries having trouble holding the refugees or wanting to get rid of them or denying the refugees? Yeah, that'll be you, or your friends, or your family.

The world is not going to be magically kind to half of the United States, especially when the United States has not been kind to most of the world.

e:

Not to mention that unless it is Canada or Mexico airplane travel isn't necessarily safe if the Trump side had control of the military.

e2:

Not to ALSO mention that a Trump dictatorship US is not safe for basically anyone on this planet. He had to be pulled back and fucked with multiple times in 4 years to not use nukes.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
My goal is to be out of the US (...again) within the next 5 years, if the US ends up electing a Democrat again, great, if not, hopefully it won't be my problem.

I'm currently going through the process of getting Canadian citizenship, so that's plan B (but I'd be looking ed tech/curriculum development jobs, so that might not pan out). Plan C would be teaching abroad again.

Plan D is staying in the US, but relocating somewhere that isn't the shithole that is Texas.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Shit is unfortunately terribly on point and I think all signs continue to point to the fact that the first 4 years of Trump was just a preview of what is yet to come.
Even if he is not President again, his politics, or should I say blatant lack there of, has permeated not only the party but even more devastating, a large part of society on a whole.
Trump knew exactly what he was doing, and his primary goal was galvanizing citizens who never gave two shits about politics to start pretending they always did in the name of some twisted American Dream.
He has also convinced those same people everything is a lie and every system that is currently in place is against them. He is convincing them they are being lied to with the worse lie ever.
It really is some next level fuckery, as there is nothing you can do to combat it.
Rationality no longer matters.
The truth no longer matters.
We have not seen anything yet.
It will get worse before it gets better, if it ever does. And that really is a very big if.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah actually this perfectly encapsulates what I feel every time I turn on POTUS radio and I hear people talking about "both sides" because, after all, both parties are to blame for the predicament we're in.

I feel like maybe I'm the crazy one. Why is no one else shitting their pants? We should be.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
There's none of his usual BS. It's him laying out how Trump has spent his time purging the Republican party of any detractors so next time around he'll have people at state level who will side with him on the election being stolen.
The Republican party has been infiltrating state governments to swing federal elections for over 20 years. The Democrats aren't going to give a shit until it's too late.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The general apathy and indifference to the greatest act of treason since the Civil War is terrifying, yes. No justice, no accountability, and a 1/3 of the country belongs to a sycophantic trump cult.

Oh, we've done plenty as a country.

Republicans across the country have implemented an unprecedented amount of new targeted suppression mechanisms and barriers to vote, and fostered toxic norms within the culture of the party that has primed the pump for the next attempt to over turn fair election results, or double down on fascism while in power, as fair and justified.

If you mean Democrats? Yeah, they've basically decided, thanks to the "moderate" wing, that civility politics and reaching across the aisle, no matter how fascistic the other person is, is more important than standing strong for democracy....Which baffles me as to how that type of person gets away with being labeled a "moderate."

As for everyday normal people? We kinda deserve it tbh. We can't seem to muster concern about anything existential unless you can roll that threat up into a super villain like Bush or Trump. The moment they are gone we become the frog in the water slowly being raised to a boil. We just don't care.
it feels like the most practical action that has come out the aftermath of January was a lot of sensational donation emails. This shouldn't be surprising, this was a rebellion enacted by mostly well-off white people.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Maher is right that Trump will attempt this again but it will fail worse than last time if this is the extent of his plan.

When he was president he had an opening to gain support from the military and intelligence agencies but out of office he simply lacks the access to attempt a proper coup.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Trump has already done enough damage to democracy that anybody who's not shitting their pants is in denial.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's hardly that simple, if things get to an actual coup status you're going to have a hard time going anywhere because you won't be the only people trying to leave. You know how every time there's something really bad that happens and you read on the news all the countries having trouble holding the refugees or wanting to get rid of them or denying the refugees? Yeah, that'll be you, or your friends, or your family.

The world is not going to be magically kind to half of the United States, especially when the United States has not been kind to most of the world.

e:

Not to mention that unless it is Canada or Mexico airplane travel isn't necessarily safe if the Trump side had control of the military.

yep. And not just that, the effects of this will be felt all over the world. Can't really escape it. We've had to deal with trumps fuckery all the way here in Japan.

when people say "I'll just leave the country", I always think it's a white person who's privileged enough to have no idea how immigration works

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats are like Wile E Coyote running off a cliff but they still haven't looked down. Republicans no longer have any interest in reality. If it's not Trump, it'll be someone else. If election results are not in their favor, it's STOLEN ELECTION all over again. Except this time, the few people that stood up to Trump have been removed, so there's no one to stop the states from rejecting the results. Depending on congressional makeup, there's a good chance that a Republican will be installed even if they lose badly. And it can be done"legally" via state and federal law.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
i'm definitely concerned about it.

also, it might be slow moving now, but if/once it happens i wouldn't be surprised if shit gets gruesome and stays that way for a long time. most of this country doesn't want to live under a white supremacist dictator.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Yea, the day people were able to casually leave the capitol with nothing more than a few slaps on the wrist, that was the end of it. No one is going to hold these people accountable and they know it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Bill has a few things he is bigoted about, but this isn't one of them. He predicted Trump not leaving and staging a coup before January 6th and I think he's right here.

Hoping the Dems Congress subpoenas being handed our are enforced and they bar him from running from office. It's pretty damn clear Trump orchestred the coup and he should be prohibited from office at the very least.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Extremely concerned. While leaving the country would be great, the reality is that's not much of an option for most people. You either need to be rich or have a desired enough occupation in another country to get out.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm terrified. Like actually fucking terrified whenever's I stop to think about it.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, at least we can hold out hope that Donald just falls to a heart attack in the next 3 years. Maybe that'll push off the end of American democracy by another 4-8 years.
People have been waiting for Cheney to kick the bucket in a similar manner and he's practically a cyborg now being kept alive with everything put in his chest. Trump will undoubtedly be fine with whatever weird Omen level cabal is helping him out in the background.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the Dems Congress subpoenas being handed our are enforced and they bar him from running from office. It's pretty damn clear Trump orchestred the coup and he should be prohibited from office at the very least.
That's the thing. They aren't being enforced. He brings this up earlier that the one's being subpoenaed are just ignoring them. And the dems won't send people after them cause that would be crossing a line where everyone will just be arresting each other. You know the republicans are just chomping at the bit to start arresting political rivals for bogus reasons, and their supporters are all for it.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't "civil war is coming" trending on twitter earlier today?