• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The Phawx got his hands on an early unit of the Smach Z. The handheld has stumbled a lot during its development but it looks to nearing the finish line.

Unboxing and impressions:

Sekiro gameplay:

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I know it was crowfunded or whatever but that plastic looks very cheap. Including a 1080p screen seems like a weird choice as well considering the size.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I would much, much, much rather have traditional joysticks than those things. I'll probably be priced out of this thing anyway.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I almost forgot about his. With the GP32 and the GPD Win 2 on the market already, I am curious about how well this stacks up in the portable PC market.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
The size of that thing is...huge to say the least lol.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I know it was crowfunded or whatever but that plastic looks very cheap. Including a 1080p screen seems like a weird choice as well considering the size.
It's a bit low PPI wise (compared to say an iPad), sure, but I think it's not realistic to expect a 4K or higher screen. It certainly wouldn't be within their budget, considering the price they had on IndieGogo

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking they should've used a 720p screen, not that the resolution is too low.
You can still run games on 720p, should scale nicely. It would be interesting to know the battery capacity, but I assume that would differ from this early model to the final release.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my fucking God when he pulled the Atari Lynx out in the unboxing video I almost died. Spit soda all over my monitor

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Using a 1080p screen instead of a 720p one is dumb.

If you want to play modern games at 60 FPS, 720p is a better bet. 720p upscaled to 1080p will look worse than 720p on a 720p screen. It's just dumb to put a 1080p screen in a device like this. It would also be cheaper. At least make a 720p and a 1080p model and let the user choose.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Last edited:

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fucking God when he pulled the Atari Lynx out in the unboxing video I almost died. Spit soda all over my monitor
yeah, that was extremely good even though I'm unsure how comedic it was intended to be

still, at least this thing is actually coming out, but howfucking much is it going to cost? the GPD WIN 2 is already too much, is this going to be more?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sourcing cheap 720p screens these days is probably quite difficult

Not really.
1080p was a marketing choice from them.
A bad choice because very few games will run at native res.
Instead of pushing for 720p which is far more than enough at this size to either save battery life or get a slightly lower res, everything will now run at too low res for the screen.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
Well this certainly looks mediocre. I wonder if they'll be able to produce enough to send out to their backers from um... how many years ago now? Or if they just managed to produce a small enough number of somewhat working devices to send out to some people to make it seem as if these backers will actually get a product.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, right now doesn't look that much better than the GPD Win 2 and this is supposed to be way more than that.

With the GPD Win 3 coming soon I just don't see the point for this product anymore.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks to be slightly faster judging from the Sekiro performance on low settings but I'm betting the next GPD Win will be out or announced officially before this hits for sale, and according to rumors it'll blow this thing out of the water with performance.

video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWG6NgeUOs

This runs hotter than the GPD Win 2 for sure.
The cooling seems to be better since the vid shows that the surface temps are lower.

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just checked the price and wtf it's 899 and can't even run Doom 2016 at 60 fps low. Am I seeing it wrongly?

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
The cooling seems to be better since the vid shows that the surface temps are lower.
In the Sekiro vids posted above at least, the Smach Z pushed the APU to hit 81 C while the Win2 remained at 67 C. I do think the Win2 radiates through the keyboard and out the back more than the Smach Z, though.

The real test is if the Win Max can keep below 90 C

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not looking so hot, down to teens fps in combat. Isn't Sekiro one of the better PC ports out there? I haven't had the chance to play it, but I haven't heard major performance complaints. I'd love to see how it runs other games.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is a bit of a monster. Bigger in size than a Switch and double the weight of the Win 2. And the Win 2 already feels heavy.

Also the choice of a 1080p screen is a mistake. It will be until those APUs get some embedded vram like the Iris Pro has. 1080p is just too much in terms of bandwidth for regular RAM. I know people demand it but for 5,5" displays 720p is perfect 264ppi which eliminates almost completely the need for AA, more is just a way to kill the SoC and the battery. Spend that in an AMOLED display or something.

And 15w TDP.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I really want an x86 handheld system like this. But I want it to have the build quality of a top tier vendor like Samsung, Asus, Sony, LG, etc.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks about right. Capable at 720p (the comparable 2500U APU can play just about any game at 720p/30fps) but you're not going to be able to max out settings or hit 60fps on demanding titles without cranking up the power draw to 25W.
I knew the name sounded familiar. I remember watching a video where they explain how sketchy the whole thing is. (no idea if this is a banned YouTuber, sorry in advance)

Not a banned YouTuber, but one whose videos are wholly unrepresentative on the current state of the Smach Z's production (which isn't to say it's been a smooth ride, it's been an absolute mess, nor will it be smooth from now until October/November when backers are supposed to get their units).

Either way, Team Smach was absolutely in the wrong for hitting their channel with a strike.

Disclosure: I backed it when during the initial (well, second one) Kickstarter.
You can still run games on 720p, should scale nicely. It would be interesting to know the battery capacity, but I assume that would differ from this early model to the final release.
4 x 18650 cells, 3200 mAh each. Not exactly stellar battery life; at 15W you're looking at 90 minutes to two hours at most for gaming sessions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want an x86 handheld system like this. But I want it to have the build quality of a top tier vendor like Samsung, Asus, Sony, LG, etc.

I wish there was a controller adapter for the Microsoft Surface line of tablets. My Surface Pro 3 is still decently powerful. A top current model is probably what you're looking for spec wise, but they're just not well suited for games unless you have like an xbox controller or something.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Phawx has tested Sekiro at 25w

For that you'd have to pay a small fortune. The Win 2 has very good components imo and it costed me 550€ last year with tons of discounts.

Wait, it's real this time?

Makes me wonder how a Vita that released now would perform in comparison.

This thing is HUGE & HEAVY af, costs around 900$ and it's on a minimum 15w TDP which matches a docked Switch.

It's not comparable to a Vita by any means.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Sure, but a 1080p raises manufacturing costs that could have gone elsewhere (like a dpad and proper right stick, or a better form factor), for very low gains at that size.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but a 1080p raises manufacturing costs that could have gone elsewhere (like a dpad and proper right stick, or a better form factor), for very low gains at that size.
It's always a compromise between various things. The GPD Win series seems to err closer on the side of those things you mentioned. This device wants to stand out on the higher resolution and larger screen, I'd guess.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
>tfw I bought a GPD Win 2 but rarely play it due to the terrible sticks, d-pad, and buttons
>tfw Smach has Steam Controller touchpads instead of regular sticks and d-pads

I am so ready to fall in love with one of these micro-PCs but they keep fumbling at the 0.5 yard line.

How do you make such a cool device that crams so much into a functional tiny package and then just slap some mushy shitty d-pad on there.