• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vote

• Pro controller

Votes: 303 48.9%
  • Gamecube controller

Votes: 317 51.1%

• Total voters

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
how are you going to play it? I'm still undecided honestly, what's the better choice?

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
pro controller, i dont have any muscle memory or nostalgia for gamecube controllers and i think a pro controller is immensely more comfortable

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Like the other psychopaths here: obviously the gamecube controller.

We have a problem, but we can't stop now baby!

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube. Adapter from the Wii.U game so that's saving me money.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I'll be playing with a Gamecube controller since my adapter and controller have been sitting on my desk here new in box for a couple weeks now. Mostly a nostalgia thing for me, I'm not even competent let alone competitive at Smash. The gamecube controller has just always been a favorite of mine. I might pick up a pro controller soon though.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
GameCube. I tried to play Smash 4 on pro controller but my muscle memory is too ingrained, it was a frustrating experience.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Pro. Without question. So much easier to connect and use.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
How are those PowerA ones for $25? Some are on sale at Best Buy for $15 each come Black Friday and was thinking about loading up on those.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Pro for sure. Mostly cause I don't want to have a drastically different button layout for playing docked and on the go, which is where I'll be playing this game for a very significant amount of time

Sea Lily

Oct 31, 2018
TV is too far away to play wired, gotta go with the pro controller. Of course I used the Classic Controller for Brawl and 4 so it follows well enough

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Pro Controller.

I'm going to be honest with what I think. Most of the people who play with GC controllers just do it for the sake of it. Because they don't want to put effort into mastering a newer and better controller.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I am going to have to decide if I hate using the pro controller for Smash more than I hate dragging wires across my room

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but the GC controller has less lag than the Pro Controller.

I would go with GC regardless mainly due to muscle memory but this is definitelyy a factor.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I will try out both, to see how the Pro controller feels in comparison. I'll start with the Gamecube controller first.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I'll be using GameCube mostly but I do find the diamomd layout isn't too bad after rearanging the buttons. Seting A & B as jump, Y as normals and X as specials makes the game much more playable for me.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this thread was posted because I didn't know where else to ask a question like this, but...
I'm thinking of picking up the PowerA Wireless GameCube Controller.

81FCOPif9qL._AC_.jpg

It's wireless and runs on two AA batteries, has gyro aiming, but doesn't have rumble (no big deal) or NFC. My question is, if I want to scan an amiibo, can I just turn on one of my Joycon and use that? Or am I just screwed out of using amiibo in games that support them?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go Pro Controller this time. Wanna learn something new and don't really wanna bother with wired GC controllers or the 3rd party wireless ones.

Got the Smash Pro Controller preordered just for it!

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I pretty much only use my Gamecube controller for Smash and TvC. I got used to the 3DS and I got used to the Wii U Pro Controller when I had no adapter, but there can be only one.

That didn't stop me from buying the special edition tho

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pro controller is perfectly usable. After 10+ years of standard dual stick and diamond-button layouts, it's a standard and feels natural to play anything.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Pro Controller.

I'm going to be honest with what I think. Most of the people who play with GC controllers just do it for the sake of it. Because they don't want to put effort into mastering a newer and better controller.

That's how I feel as well. I'm avoiding GameCube controller even tho I know it'll be much more familiar.

Gamecube controller would also hurt my ability to get accustomed to handheld mode.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to have to decide if I hate using the pro controller for Smash more than I hate dragging wires across my room
Pro is fine for smash.

from someone who smash has been my most played game literally every year since 1999. (and it probably isn't close)

Never understood the outlandish takes around that subject. both work. Plus wires....

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spent way too many hours in middle and high school playing Melee, so I doubt I'll ever not feel awkward using a non-GC controller.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Pro Controller.

When I messed around with Dolphin a few years ago, I tried playing Brawl with a 360 controller and it was comfy as fuck. Switch Pro Controller is the closest thing I'll have to that feeling again. Wii U Pro was fine, but for Smash I would've preferred the buttons above the sticks.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
If you are planning to play competitively, GameCube Controller.

If not, just whatever you have at hand. The game was originally designed with the N64 controller in mind, ffs. You'll be fine. Just don't do single joycon.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Pro Controller, it's one of the best controllers I've used. I also don't need an oversized A button to reliably hit it so a GameCube controller doesn't really offer me anything that I'd clamour for one.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've always used the GameCube controller in the past, but I plan to put a sincere effort into learning the Pro Controller. Specifically, I've seen people mention that mapping jump to L is a better control method than using a face button to jump (Bumper Jumper!), and the GameCube's triggers aren't as good for that as a normal controller. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be rocking my GameCube controller.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Pro controller. I still have my GCN adapter from Smash Wii U but I just don't like the GCN controller anymore, it feels awkward in the hand. I also played Smash 64 online for years using Xbox 360/One controllers so I'm already used to the button layout. I currently play Rivals of Aether with the Xbox One controller too.