• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Okay, but the Limit Break is not even the worst thing about Cloud. It's his speed; his power in both ranged and close attacks; his stupid side smash that comes out way too fast and does a lot of damage and knockback; etc. He needs a full Bayo/Meta Knight style hackjob to be balanced.
Cloud is noticeably worse than his Smash 4 incarnation.

-He can no longer perpetually hold onto Limit. This also harms his already terrible recovery.
-The range on almost all of his aerials got shortened. For example, he can no longer do buffered short-hop n-airs because that actually whiffs on most characters. His up-air lost its rising hitbox so he can't hit grounded opponents with it either.
-The general system changes made him worse at juggling and recovery.
-Parrying harms Cloud in particular because the timing for his multi-hit moves (f-smash, Limit Cross Slash) will always be the same.

I say this as someone who hated fighting Cloud in Smash 4. He's so much more manageable in this game.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud is noticeably worse than his Smash 4 incarnation.

-He can no longer perpetually hold onto Limit. This also harms his already terrible recovery.
-The range on almost all of his aerials got shortened. For example, he can no longer do buffered short-hop n-airs because that actually whiffs on most characters. His up-air lost its rising hitbox so he can't hit grounded opponents with it either.
-The general system changes made him worse at juggling and recovery.
-Parrying harms Cloud in particular because the timing for his multi-hit moves (f-smash, Limit Cross Slash) will always be the same.

I say this as someone who hated fighting Cloud in Smash 4. He's so much more manageable in this game.
I hadn't thought about parrying being a quasi-"nerf" for his sword slashes. I still think they should've nerfed him harder, but maybe I need to fight him more with that in mind.

He is. Ask anyone who knows what they're talking about and they'll tell you the same thing.
I'm glad to learn that I don't know what I'm talking about either! Please, see the above quote for how to actually make an argument with facts and details instead of vague ad hominem attacks.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't thought about parrying being a quasi-"nerf" for his sword slashes. I still think they should've nerfed him harder, but maybe I need to fight him more with that in mind.

I'm glad to learn that I don't know what talking about either! Please, see the above quote for how to actually make an argument with facts and details instead of vague ad hominem attacks.
I'm just letting you know that your wrong and Cloud probably won't be further nerfed because almost everyone realizes he's notably worse.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Tier lists are meaningless unless you're a tournament player.
Exactly. I really wish people would understand this because all I see on forums are complaints for nerfs and buffs, due to calling characters high or low tier. It isn't productive conversation because it's all entirely meaningless to 99% of the player base.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
How can anyone trust tier lists this early lmao I need months to pass before I can even think about taking a list seriously

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
from the tourneys I have seen so far the variety is the highest its ever been with Inkling and Blemonts looking very scary

No one looks unbeatable or terrible so far

It might be quite awhile before we see just how far the meta can be pushed and who masters what techniques.

As far as I can tell right now all Nintendo needs to do is focua on bugfixes and QOL adjustments... especially the online as other people have posted

Character balance seems amazing so far

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
from the tourneys I have seen so far the variety is the highest its ever been with Inkling and Blemonts looking very scary

It might be quite awhile before we see just how far the meta can be pushed and who masters what techniques.

As far as I can tell right now all Nintendo needs to do is focua on bugfixes and QOL adjustments... especially the online as other people have posted

I agree 100%. Just need some fine tuning of the online matchmaking and some other quirks and we in there.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I haven't won a game against the Belmont's since I ranked enough to get into Elite Smash. Shit is reaaaaally good in high level hands.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Exactly. I really wish people would understand this because all I see on forums are complaints for nerfs and buffs, due to calling characters high or low tier. It isn't productive conversation because it's all entirely meaningless to 99% of the player base.

Tier lists are also pointless right now because the game has been out for a week and we haven't had time to even make a proper ranking between launch and this patch

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Version 1.2.0 is now live.

Update Notes

The following changes were made in version 1.2.0.

Offline Gameplay
・Adjusted difficulty of approaching challengers.

Online Gameplay
・When matchmaking in Quickplay, the Format setting of your Preferred Rules will be
more highly prioritized. This may cause matchmaking to take more time, and there's
still no guarantee that you'll find a match that has your exact Preferred Rules.
・Increased the stability of the synchronous connection within Battle Arenas.
NOTE: Online features require a Nintendo Switch Online membership.

Misc.
・Game balance adjustments.
・Various gameplay fixes.
・The fighters that had specific adjustments are listed below.

Adjusted Fighters

Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Greninja, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle

Compatibility Notes

・To use online features, your software must be updated to the latest version.
・Local Wireless is not compatible between version 1.2.0 and earlier versions. Please make sure that all players are using the same version of the software.
・Replays created in versions before 1.2.0 are not compatible with 1.2.0. If you have replays you want to keep, you'll need to convert your replays by going to Vault → Replays → Replay Data → Convert to Video before updating the software.

How to Update

1. Highlight the software on the HOME Menu, then press the + Button on the controller to open the options.
2. Select Software Update, and then either Via the Internet or Match Versions with Local Users.

Ye

Oct 26, 2017
When matchmaking in Quickplay, the Format setting of your Preferred Rules will be
more highly prioritized. This may cause matchmaking to take more time, and there's
still no guarantee that you'll find a match that has your exact Preferred Rules.

Good god... did they... listen?!

Adjusted Fighters

Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Greninja, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle

Ambiguous "adjustments", guess some things stay the same!

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Let's see how it goes. Yesterday I found it impossible to find a match with no lag. It sours me on the game when multiplayer is the place to play but works below average conditions.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Isabelle better have only been buffed 😒 She is eternal and must destroy E V E R Y O N E

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
List of k rool nerfs needed
-make his attacks do less damage and also worse range
-make his blunderbass misfire occasionally and let us throw the cannon back like DKC2
-no more grounding moves
-get rid of his parry
-cut his jet pack time in half

I think this will make him more fair. Thoughts?
This is stupid.

K Rool is fine and a lot of his attacks can be punished on whiff because there's a lot of backend lag on his attacks. People just need matchup experience.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
This is stupid.

K Rool is fine and a lot of his attacks can be punished on whiff because there's a lot of backend lag on his attacks. People just need matchup experience.

Some of his attacks need some adjustments as they kill too early for how easy they are to pull off (Blowing Blunderbluss and Down Smash). Crown should be grabable with a well timed attack IHMO. His recovery is super good and hard to gimp for how heavy he is.

The rest is fine. It's easy to escape being buried reliably until 120% more or less. Inkling's roller is way worse in that regard.