• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy it?

• Yes. I bought fighters pass #1 blind and will get this Day 1 blind

Votes: 419 56.2%
  • I bought FP1 blind , but this time I will wait and see what the characters are first

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • I bought FP1 after waiting, and I will wait to see for FP2

Votes: 55 7.4%
  • I bought FP1, but I don’t plan on buying FP2 at all

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • I did not buy FP1, but will buy FP2 blind

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • I did not buy FP1, but will wait and see on FP2

Votes: 70 9.4%
  • i purchase by individual character pack, not by the Fighters Passes

Votes: 58 7.8%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Tockles was retroactively folded into the Dragon Quest spirit board. That could happen with the Pokémon, but even if it doesn't there are still plenty of characters to include in a new spirit board.
  • Rillaboom
  • Cinderace
  • Inteleon
  • Thievul
  • Wooloo
  • Yamper
  • Toxtricity
  • Hatterene
  • Grimmsnarl
  • Obstagoon
  • Perrserker
  • Sirfetch'd
  • Mr. Rime
  • Runerigus
  • Alcremie
  • Eiscue
  • Dragapult
  • Eternatus
  • Urshifu
  • Calyrex
  • Galarian Meowth
  • Galarian Ponyta
  • Galarian Slowpoke
And so on. Just pick a dozen of those and you're good to go.

I agree, but my point is that someone like Cinderace doesn't have a spirit and so I don't see how it's deconfirmed. I don't think it means anything that other characters from the same game received spirits when those characters were never going to be playable to begin with.
Fair point on Tockles, but their spirit was released after Hero got in Smash. And it's not about there not being options (we both agree that there are plenty), it's about Sword/Shield getting a spirit event at all ahead of a hypothetical character.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect number for

Viewtiful Joe
Ameratsu
Skull Kid
Crash
Spyro
Mega Man Zero

Nope. Rules are meant to be broken. Especially fan-imagined rules.

Non-videogame characters is not a fan imagined rule, it has been reiterated dozens of times by Sakurai himself.

And if any non-videogame character got in, the only acceptable one is Mickey Mouse.

Fuck Goku and all of his weeb shit companions.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Non-videogame characters is not a fan imagined rule, it has been reiterated dozens of times by Sakurai himself.

And if any non-videogame character got in, the only acceptable one is Mickey Mouse.

Fuck Goku and all of his weeb shit companions.
I already said I think he will change his mind.

Mickey's cool, I don't really care either way.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Given that the one Western characters in the base game and Fighter's Pass #1 are from Rare and Retro and are from first party or former first party games, I wonder if it's time to give up hope for a Ubisoft or Bethesda rep. Maybe not, since Ubisoft is getting Mii costumes in the next update, but it does seem like Nintendo/Sakurai are mostly sticking to characters and franchises that originated in Japan.

I also think a Gen 8 Pokemon is all but guaranteed in this Fighter's Pass, given the large number of Pokemon already in the game and the ridiculous success of Sword/Shield. It'll probably be the final form of one of the starters (Intelleon, maybe?) but I'm holding out hope for a Wooloo miracle. (I mean, Jigglypuff made it.)

Beyond that, I have no idea. There aren't that many new Nintendo franchises without reps. Labo wasn't successful enough to justify one, and is probably done. Arms did OK, but unless a sequel is planned I'm not sure Nintendo is interested enough in the IP to bother (especially since no Arms character made FP1). Ring Fit Adventure seems to have legs (har har), so ... maybe? I'm not sure the overlap is there with the Smash fanbase to incentivize sales of Ring Fit Trainer (or whatever she's called) as DLC. Dragaux would be hilarious, but is an even longer shot.

Rex and Pyra/Mythra seemed like obvious choices, but their absense from FP1 and the fact that Monolith has moved on to other projects and XC2 is past its prime sales-wise makes me wonder if the Rex Mii costume is all we're getting. (I still think there's a good chance this could happen though.) Given that Nintendso seems unwilling to even port XCX to the Switch, Elma probably has no chance. Ditto to Wonder Red for the same reason. Super Mario Odyssey is huge and probably will get a sequel eventually, so maybe Pauline has a real shot?

As far as third parties are concerned ... Christ, who knows? Master Chief seems like he has a real chance if Halo actually does get ported to the Switch. Travis Touchdown has to happen eventually, right? Sakurai has to take mercy on poor Suda51. The man has been begging for Travis in Smash since Brawl. Plus, Travis has appeared in three games on Nintendo systems with a fourth coming with one being a full exclusive (NMH2), two being timed exclusives (NMH1 & TSA), and NMH3 being either a full or timed exclusive, so he has a closer association with the Nintendo brand than a lot of the alternatives (not that it always matters, considering Cloud and Joker). But really, I have no idea. I would have never guessed that Joker or Terry would make it in FP1, and we don't even know if FP2 will have a substantial number of third party characters.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready.

X4YIIrH.png

Dreaming big! Let's see how many I get!

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
By December 2021? It's barely even worth announcing a date lol. Did any ever think the characters would release later than that?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
By December 2021? It's barely even worth announcing a date lol. Did any ever think the characters would release later than that?
The exact inverse. The February 2020 sounded like quite a slowdown at the first glance (if you didn't notice veterans being easier on the devs back then), it's reasonable to assume people would be angry by November if it wasn't stated as the expected deadline for Pass 1. December 2021 doubles down on the team needing their time, instead of, I dunno, 6 characters by December 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
I got hopes for Pass 2, though I expect that Pass 2 will be just as bad for me as 1 lol.

Chun-Li
Shantae
Dixie Kong
Reimu
Off the Hook
Akira Howard (female default, Nintendo :T)