Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1636097913779617793?s=46&t=vpTdtr1wHX-zEKV8GyFv5g

Parker Finn, the filmmaker behind 2022's biggest horror hit, Smile, has signed a multi-year, first-look deal with Paramount Pictures.

Paramount distributed Smile, which Finn wrote and directed, with the movie grossing over $216 million worldwide. Among the movie's distinctions, other than creepingpeople out with scary smiles, was being the first original horror title to repeat the number one position at domestic box office since 2016.

Lips are sealed as far as deal details go, but Parker is expected to write, produce and direct features in the horror genre. A Smilesequel is one of the priorities.

Good for him! He made a great horror film and can't wait to see what else me makes…
Budget was 17 million made over 215 million!
Here's some ideas!
Frown
Wink
Blush
Hiccup

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

broad-city-fuck-you.gif

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
The ending to Smile was garbage.

I actually loved it, because towards the end I was thinking "you know, I'm getting kind of over trauma horror and how just tackling your trauma wins", and then... welp, fuck your trauma, I'm a big ass smile monster.

Whole movie's a 6/10 for me but the ending was definitely like an 8.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
That's great, I loved the first one, different concept/storyline (kinda reminded me of It Follows) but yeah the ending was the weakest part

Jan 4, 2021
I liked it, but the movie didn't move anything forward. Honestly, the guy in prison she talked to, the one who beat it, the movie should have been about him - and it could've ended with him being sent to prison, thinking he'd beaten the thing, only to have it come back to haunt him when he's visited by the main character from the movie.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
The first movie seemingly tried to say something about overcoming past trauma but just gave up in the end to have a big dumb monster scene.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Cool. I enjoyed the first one.

It was fun and it absolutely knew it was silly (that Kal Penn hallucination) It was at it's best when it leaned into that.

Would have loved some more random background fuckery (I thought this was going to be a big part of it from the trailers)

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Watched a few weeks ago and didn't love it but it was clear they set up a sequel. Probably won't see it in theaters but a lil interested to see how they continue.

Vourlis

Banned
Aug 14, 2022
United States
I actually loved it, because towards the end I was thinking "you know, I'm getting kind of over trauma horror and how just tackling your trauma wins", and then... welp, fuck your trauma, I'm a big ass smile monster.

Whole movie's a 6/10 for me but the ending was definitely like an 8.

It doesn't even tackle the main plot though. Her overcoming her own trauma wouldn't have affected the main storyline, so not only do we get robbed of that, but she just DIES anyway.

"Thanks for watching this movie, where the main storyline (smile curse) and sub plot (her personal trauma) don't matter. Stay tuned for more."

Like, what was the point of this film?

I did like some of the cinematography though. Some fun camerawork in an overall meh movie with some truly weird casting.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Something Finn's said about a sequel in the past is that he doesn't want to retread what's already been done. So I wonder if it'll even pick up with Joel, or if we'll jump to another protagonist. Because one with Joel seems like it'd immediately go into investigation mode, which is basically what the second half of the original movie was.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I liked it, definitely better than what I expected going in. The ending landed for me, but I get why folks dont like it. Either way, definitely prime material for a sequel so good luck

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited. I really loved the first film, largely because it felt like a live-action creepypasta movie.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I hated the ending of this one so much lol. Dude had one simple job to keep everyone safe and he screws it up for no good reason.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
It doesn't even tackle the main plot though. Her overcoming her own trauma wouldn't have affected the main storyline, so not only do we get robbed of that, but she just DIES anyway.

"Thanks for watching this movie, where the main storyline (smile curse) and sub plot (her personal trauma) don't matter. Stay tuned for more."

Like, what was the point of this film?

I did like some of the cinematography though. Some fun camerawork in an overall meh movie with some truly weird casting.

The problem for me is that I actually liked the main character and wanted her to overcome what she was going through. She's just so beaten down, and the scene at the party... give the woman a break please!

Vourlis

Banned
Aug 14, 2022
United States
yep. It completely ruined the movie for me. I hate what it says about trauma.

Amen. The whole movie just keeps on pounding the viewer over the head with, what feels like intentionally disrespectful language and misunderstandings about trauma (like the cops, the shitty boyfriend, the hospital staff not really showing much understanding, etc) and then what does the film decide to do at the end? Flip that around to teach the viewer something? NOPE. It continues to shit on trauma and give a big fuck you to people who have it. Basically saying, "nah you're actually forever fucked. Haha now DIE." Big slap in the face to people who suffer from mental illnesses.

Awful messaging and a cheap, inconclusive main plot to rope you into another one, which is just another horror cliché of making sure they can leave an option to franchise it. Gunna be a hard no for me for part 2.

The problem for me is that I actually liked the main character and wanted her to actually overcome what she was going through. The scene at the party... give the woman a break please!

Same here, but, yep...

Oct 26, 2017
I really dug the movie. One of the most unnerving horror movies I saw last year. And there was a LOT of good horror in 2022.

But the big question is: Will the sequel be titled Smilers or Smiles?

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
Smile: Like You Mean It

Liles the first movie, was kind of hoping it would be a one off, but I'll watch the sequel.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the ending of this one so much lol. Dude had one simple job to keep everyone safe and he screws it up for no good reason.

I initially didn't like the ending but came around on it. And the reason I did is because the Hollywood thing for him to do is exactly what you're talking about. Rose is safe because she faced down her trauma. But that's not how trauma works. She's had that buried in her since she was a child. And now simply because this entity, or whatever it is, has come after her she conquers that trauma in a matter of days? Nah, it doesn't work like that. Of course question then becomes how do you "beat" whatever this is outside of murdering someone else (and thus inducing even more trauma onto yourself)? That's something that only Finn has the answer to.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
Enjoyed it, even though I felt it was a little derivative. I didn't think it was trying to say anything more about trauma except that sometimes trauma overcomes us, and using a psychological demon as a metaphor for trauma seems appropriate.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
this movie talks a LOT about trauma but for no reason really. people die because they witness a murder or suicide. thats proven by the ending but its also proven by the trauma she inflicts upon the kid at the birthday party which doesn't lead anywhere. the sister literally tells the main character she traumatized her kid. and that neither released the main character from the trauma monster or unleashed the monster on the kid.

anyway, yeah, we don't need another one. it wasnt that great. ill watch it, for sure, but i do hope they use the smiling a little better in the next one. most of the smiles outside of the first and last were lame-o.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I really loved the first one, but sequels to horror films are usually shitty cash grabs so I'm not holding holding my breath.

I don't know how much more gas there is in this particular tank without resorting to taking a big chunk out of the cruel yet honest Lovecraftian element to the entity itself, but there was enough genuine dread and intrigue to the concept to get me interested to see what happens next.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Be cool if I liked this one. It's a simple and cool premise and Finn is clearly a really talented director but that first movie is like a 2006 Dimension movie and I don't mean that as a compliment.