• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I only played a couple of hours of SMT V but the music didn't hit like IV and IV:A for me from the little I played.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible soundtrack. This game would've been my GOTY if not for Endwalker. I don't know how I'm gonna finish it before Elden Ring.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will never forgive the Japanese fan base for rating IV's soundtrack as a low point for the franchise. Apparently Ryota took it personally and really put his foot in it for V lol (and apparently Vengeance!).

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm doing my best to keep expectations in check, but damn it really feels like they've gone all out with this rerelease with all the new content and changes being made. IV, IVA, and V all had incredible OSTs. That we're going to get so many remixes and new tracks in VV is wild.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
SMT needs to be the series that brings back the Phantasy Star 3 hallmark of battle music switching suddenly even within a single battle: 100 battle themes on some sort of arcane roulette.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck, I hope they put the updated version up for sale / streaming too.

Da'at: Ginza does incomprehensible things to my brain, I love this game's OST and adore the art that accompanies it.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I will never forgive the Japanese fan base for rating IV's soundtrack as a low point for the franchise. Apparently Ryota took it personally and really put his foot in it for V lol (and apparently Vengeance!).
that poll is still astonishing to me, as is the fact that ryota actually apologized for IV's music because of it

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
4's soundtrack is the best in the series, those Japanese fans were smoking crack.

i thought V's music was a big step down

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
"Dancing crazy murder" is fucking incredible. If they are able to make that song even more epic, then I hope the composers get rewarded with the best OST of the year everywhere

Oct 27, 2017
Yo what??
IV has one of the best rpg sountracks ever made, thats crazy talk.

main-qimg-8dc8f974bec5f99e6e80a32bf61f1ab0-lq

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
People were disappointed with SMTIV's soundtrack to the point where the composer had to apologize for it???? Wtfffff, IV's soundtrack was a banger.

The boss theme has like 10M views for a reason

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Mark me down as someone who doesn't really connect with SMT IV's soundtrack for whatever reason. The OST cover art is iconic though.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Those people need to get their ears checked or get better taste. SMT IV is one of the GOAT soundtracks easily.

Anyway idk what they mean by "redone", I'm also wondering how much of the old OST is being carried over to the new route. 20 new battle themes is awesome though. The original already has 20+ battle themes, so this makes over 40 total?

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
People were disappointed with SMTIV's soundtrack to the point where the composer had to apologize for it???? Wtfffff, IV's soundtrack was a banger.
There was an official Atlus poll about favorite SMT music and there wasn't a single IV track in the top 20, and both Meguro and Kozuka had comments about the poll. Part of Kozuka's comment was:

As a result of the ranking, as the person in charge of the titles after Shin Megami Tensei IV, I honestly feel that it's regrettable (and I am sorry)…

personacentral.com

Shin Megami Tensei Series Music Popularity Vote Stream Archive Released, Composer Comments - Persona Central

Atlus has published the stream archive of the recent Shin Megami Tensei series music poll results, alongside comments from series composers.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mark me down as someone who doesn't really connect with SMT IV's soundtrack for whatever reason. The OST cover art is iconic though.

Me neither. I don't remember it being bad, I just don't remember it being particularly memorable.

Although maybe I'm just not a SMT music fan. Much prefer the music in the spin-offs - Persona, Digital Devil Saga, Soul Hackers, etc.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
There was an official Atlus poll about favorite SMT music and there wasn't a single IV track in the top 20, and both Meguro and Kozuka had comments about the poll. Part of Kozuka's comment was:

personacentral.com

Shin Megami Tensei Series Music Popularity Vote Stream Archive Released, Composer Comments - Persona Central

Atlus has published the stream archive of the recent Shin Megami Tensei series music poll results, alongside comments from series composers.
SMTIV boss theme at #34 are they insane

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I agree IV's soundtrack is one of the best of all time, but to say that V's could be significantly worse is surprising to me. I think there are only about two songs I wasn't 100% happy with.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
IV's soundtrack is godly, I'd say it's the best in the series not counting Persona. wtf is wrong with people

Feb 5, 2018
Since this is the most recent thread I can find, I have a question. Ive had SMTV for years now, and in typical backlog fashion, never got around to playing it. Since these games have multiple endings and I know Vengeance is entirely changing the story with a new route (and Im sure new endings), does anyone think it is worth it for me to get a playthrough in on the OG route since I already have the game?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the most recent thread I can find, I have a question. Ive had SMTV for years now, and in typical backlog fashion, never got around to playing it. Since these games have multiple endings and I know Vengeance is entirely changing the story with a new route (and Im sure new endings), does anyone think it is worth it for me to get a playthrough in on the OG route since I already have the game?
No, Vengeance is going to include the original game as well as the new Vengeance game. Plus you can get Vengeance on a platform where it will perform better if you have one.

Feb 5, 2018
No, Vengeance is going to include the original game as well as the new Vengeance game. Plus you can get Vengeance on a platform where it will perform better if you have one.
Ah alright thanks, I just didnt want to repurchase a better version of something I own but havent played yet, but if the concensus is to just wait then I guess I will

Mar 11, 2020
Original edition buyers every time there is news about this version
2iphcd.jpg
Man i'm so fucking pissed still.

Like Royal got enough backlash with it being the same thing and they pulled this shit again in this day and age. It was understandable back on PS2 but not offering this to OG Switch buyers as just dlc is such a stab in the back. I refuse to buy this unless it gets deeply discounted and I love SMT games.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
I'm honestly so titled I wasted money and time on the vanilla version, learning my lesson for next time.

Yeah, it's not a great feeling, since I didn't actually enjoy SMT V that much.

I'm not convinced this version will be great either, but I really like SMT games, so I'm still curious.

Feb 5, 2018
Yeah, it's not a great feeling, since I didn't actually enjoy SMT V that much.

I'm not convinced this version will be great either, but I really like SMT games, so I'm still curious.
Honestly thinking about it more I think ill play my original copy still even though I asked for opinions here lol. Better to just try it and do an OG playthrough before justifying $60 that you'd need to spend anyway to play the 2nd campaign.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Honestly thinking about it more I think ill play my original copy still even though I asked for opinions here lol. Better to just try it and do an OG playthrough before justifying $60 that you'd need to spend anyway to play the 2nd campaign.

Sounds fair enough to me, honestly. You already own it, so why not try it.

Better that way than spending another $60, and potentially realize you don't actually like it.

I would only recommend waiting for Vengeance if you hadn't bought the vanilla version already.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

personacentral.com

*crafts one of the best game soundtracks ever and one of the best full game album debuts I've ever heard across multiple discs*

Kozuka: "I'm sorry!"

Unbelievable.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I think it sounds more like Kozuka would have liked to have a song featured in the top twenty, the same way Meguro hopes to see Kozuka dominate the top twenty list soon.

There IS a SMTIV song featured in the top twenty list though, it's everyone's favorite, Battle B2. Going up against tracks trom the entire mainline SMT series is tough. It's great Battle B2 could make it that high. There's a few tracks in the top 30 and 40 too.