cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

Airs on TNT in half an hour or so(9PM EST).

Supposedly will cover both before and after the events of a film.

Snowpiercer-628x353.jpg

Set more than seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, Snowpiercer centers on the remnants of humanity who inhabit a perpetually moving train, with 1001 cars, that circles the globe. Class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival play out in this riveting television adaptation based on the critically acclaimed graphic novel series and film of the same name.

Snow-bg-1.jpg

Starring

dark-city-jennifer-connelly.jpg

Jennifer Connelly as Melanie Cavill

060316diggsinterviewpartone_960x540.jpg

Daveed Diggs as Andre Layton

And some other people!
www.imdb.com

Snowpiercer (TV Series 2020–2024) - IMDb

Snowpiercer (TV Series 2020–2024) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more.
(Sean Bean!?)

Review(s?):
www.indiewire.com

‘Snowpiercer’ Review: TNT’s Goofy Series Is a Far Cry from Bong Joon Ho’s Vicious Film

Not the disaster its development indicated or a distillation of the movie, TNT's "Snowpiercer" is just an extension of its sci-fi model.
"Snowpiercer's" journey to television was a highly publicized debacle, including more than three years in development, two directors shooting and reshooting the pilot, a controversial showrunner swap, and a ping-pong between WarnerMedia networks. "Snowpiercer" was originally your typical TNT series order. Then, it was announced as the first drama to debut on a revamped TBS, and finally it rerouted back to what, after all that, felt like the basic-cable dumping grounds — especially since the highly touted, originals-lite HBO Max was sitting right there. So, whether you're a proud member of the BongHive or you simply pay attention to entertainment news, the "Snowpiercer" series either has to live up to Oscar-caliber filmmaking or down to an all-too-fitting train-wreck.

And yet… the first 10 episodes are neither. Season 1 is as about as far removed from Bong's cinematic vision as you can get, without reaching the "so bad it's good" level of TV that inspires mouth-agape hate-watching. The show is fine. It's just fine. In an all-too-obvious twist, it's exactly the kind of science-fiction drama that TNT has been making for roughly a decade — bound to satisfy former fans of "Falling Skies" or "The Last Ship," even if it doesn't quite fit the network's more recent prestige model built with "Claws," "The Alienist," and "Animal Kingdom."

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a lot of internal conflict behind the scenes on this between the showrunner and the suits producing it?

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a lot of internal conflict behind the scenes on this between the showrunner and the suits producing it?
Yep, this had a pretty rocky production. The original showunner and directors were fired, and much of S1 was rewritten. I believe S1 was mostly shot almost two years ago, and during that period, there was uncertainty on where the show was going to air. It was set for TNT, then they backed and gave it to TBS, but then it went back to TNT again.

I haven't seen a show with such a tumultuous history. They seem to believe in the show a lot, as it's already been renewed for a second season.

EDIT: This article from a couple years ago explained much of what happened.
theplaylist.net

Scott Derrickson Bails On "Radically" Altered ‘Snowpiercer’ Series; Lexi Alexander Laments Loss Of Its Inclusiveness

TNT's "Snowpiercer" might be the adaptation of a beloved and critically acclaimed show, but its facing major drama. Director Scott Derrickson has quit.

Scott Derikson (Doctor Strange, The Exorcism of Emily Rose) and Lexi Alexander (Punisher: War Zone, Green Street Hooligans) were involved with directing. The original pilot episode was shot, but production went through changes and they ended up firing the original showrunner and reshooting much of the pilot.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Yep, this had a pretty rocky production. The original showunner and directors were fired, and much of S1 was rewritten. I believe S1 was mostly shot almost two years ago, and during that period, there was uncertainty on where the show was going to air. It was set for TNT, then they backed and gave it to TBS, but then it went back to TNT again.

I haven't seen a show with such a tumultuous history. They seem to believe in the show a lot, as it's already been renewed for a second season.

EDIT: This article from a couple years ago explained much of what happened.
theplaylist.net

Scott Derrickson Bails On "Radically" Altered ‘Snowpiercer’ Series; Lexi Alexander Laments Loss Of Its Inclusiveness

TNT's "Snowpiercer" might be the adaptation of a beloved and critically acclaimed show, but its facing major drama. Director Scott Derrickson has quit.

Scott Derikson (Doctor Strange, The Exorcism of Emily Rose) and Lexi Alexander (Punisher: War Zone, Green Street Hooligans) were involved with directing. The original pilot episode was shot, but production went through changes and they ended up firing the original showrunner and reshooting much of the pilot.
Yeesh, Derikson seems to have no luck. He even got booted away from the sequel to the best MCU film.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I happened to watch the movie a couple weeks after The Platform and thought it did a better job of addressing similar themes. I looked up The graphic novels they were based on, and the original seems like the strongest story.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The show has some neat ideas, but it's lost in the procedural crime drama shuffle. The two leads elevate it, but the rest feels hamstrung by the cookie cutter premise mixed with stuff ripped right out of the film. I'm just sad for what might've been.

I might watch it down the line when it's done, but I doubt I'll be keeping tabs on it unless I hear it gets crazy good(unlikely).

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Shows potential. Not writing this off yet given

Thought the movie was cool but I wasn't over the moon about it so I had no expectations either way.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The show has some neat ideas, but it's lost in the procedural crime drama shuffle. The two leads elevate it, but the rest feels hamstrung by the cookie cutter premise mixed with stuff ripped right out of the film. I'm just sad for what might've been.

I might watch it down the line when it's done, but I doubt I'll be keeping tabs on it unless I hear it gets crazy good(unlikely).

I really do hate a lot of great premises or stories getting boiled down to a generic procedural show. Happened to Lucifer as well

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
It was better than I was expecting based on that review, and the trailer for the rest of the season showed some interesting sets and good production values.

I liked the twist at the end of the first episode. It was a good twist if you're familiar with the movie because there were hints throughout the episode.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, sucks to hear about the tumultuous production and poor reviews. I'm still going to check out at least the first few episodes because Daveed Diggs was amazing in Blindspotting, but expectations lowered.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoyed that episode. It cribs pretty heavily on the original movie, but I kind of dig what they're going for with this one. I feel OK with the "cop show" angle, too. I didn't think it was a procedural at all. It's clearly using the investigation to show different parts of the train and the society that's formed within it.

Also, I actually liked the episode's ending. I'm glad to see they're doing a lot with Connelly's character. I'm down to see more from the show. I hope they go much further with it in the coming episodes.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I actually enjoyed that episode. It cribs pretty heavily on the original movie, but I kind of dig what they're going for with this one. I feel OK with the "cop show" angle, too. I didn't think it was a procedural at all. It's clearly using the investigation to show different parts of the train and the society that's formed within it.

Also, I actually liked the episode's ending. I'm glad to see they're doing a lot with Connelly's character. I'm down to see more from the show. I hope they go much further with it in the coming episodes.
Pretty much every moment with her was great, especially the last one. I'm glad she's not just a yes-(wo)man.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Decided to dig into this pilot tonight. Pleasantly surprised! The differences between the show and the movie keep it interesting, expanding on the original premise quite a bit. They make some smart choices with it being a tv show giving more room to tell you about the different parts of the train.

I liked the ending quite a bit. In particular the
engine room and her dorm looked like it was actually lived in, with notes and stuff everywhere.

deadline.com

‘Snowpiercer’ Series Premiere Tops Sunday Cable Programming, Marks Largest TNT Debut Since ‘The Alienist’

'Snowpiercer' Series Premiere Tops Sunday Cable Programming, Marks Largest TNT Debut Since 'The Alienist'

Nothing stops this train!

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Decided to dig into this pilot tonight. Pleasantly surprised! The differences between the show and the movie keep it interesting, expanding on the original premise quite a bit. They make some smart choices with it being a tv show giving more room to tell you about the different parts of the train.

I liked the ending quite a bit. In particular the
engine room and her dorm looked like it was actually lived in, with notes and stuff everywhere.

deadline.com

‘Snowpiercer’ Series Premiere Tops Sunday Cable Programming, Marks Largest TNT Debut Since ‘The Alienist’

'Snowpiercer' Series Premiere Tops Sunday Cable Programming, Marks Largest TNT Debut Since 'The Alienist'

Nothing stops this train!
I liked how
Willard-Cavill looked like she just walked right out of Dark City with her hair down. She never ages.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
It was alright!
Expected nothing but actually looking forward to more so it's already better than all of Westworld S3 for me lol
It's going to be very similar to the movie isn't it?!

I fell in love with JC when I was 10 years old. Nothing has changed in 30 years.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
This guy did not like it:

www.dailydot.com

TNT's 'Snowpiercer' turns Bong Joon-ho's dystopian thriller into a cop show

This adaptation is an insult to the original.

Well, the movie was already a pretty liberal adaptation of the graphic novel so... The series going into another direction is not necessarily a bad thing either.

And i thought the pilot was fine. I'm not sure that i like the "cop show" idea inserted in the story but i'm not against it either. We'll see how it goes.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I guess the first two episodes are on Canadian Netflix.
Movie was okay.... didnt think this story desverves a TV show...

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's OK. Some of the dialogue is really clunky and on the nose. I'm not really interested in the forensic/detective plot at all, but the aesthetics and performances are mostly decent.

I'll give it another episode or two before deciding whether to drop it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The lead actor has really bad delivery and expressions, or maybe it's the lines that are bad.
Same for the security chief guy.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not used the main guy he sounds like a side character.
But I'm watching this for Jennifer Connelly ( huge crash since Rocketeer)

They went with murder mystery to capture your procedural drama audience.

Main character reminds me of.... WALT! WALT! they took my boy

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the first episode. I don't think I'm gonna watch more. The movie worked because it was fast and kinetic, always moving forward with pretty iconic visuals and a killer cast. I'm already struggling to believe only one cop got onto the train, let alone that the train has been going for over six years and this is the first time they've needed a real one. Shoehorning a murder mystery into what is really about class inequality is kinda lame anyway and that twist at the end was done way too early. They should've saved that sort of thing for a big reveal at the end.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I really enjoyed the first two episodes, and I'd happily binge the fuck out of it if I could. I'm not a fan of staggered episodes anymore.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
After first two episodes, its fine, nothing special but just fine

Will watch the rest because i dig the setting and some of the actors

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Three episodes in, and... not really doing much for me. The movie preceding it wasn't particularly great, but the fight scenes stood out more in that at least.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Enjoying the show so far. I'm getting jaded with many media but at least this is keeping me interested despite having to wait a week.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
It's... ... decent?
Mediocre.

I liked the movie.
This is not quite as ... powerful, nor are the performances as good, but it's interesting enough.
I like the twist in the focus.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol how did she get to that part of the train, I thought there were checkpoints