Was this one of the greatest things you’ve seen (naturally occurring)

• Top 1-3 things I’ve ever seen

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Top 4-10 things I’ve ever seen

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Top 10-25 things I’ve ever seen

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Wasn’t that big of a deal

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • Would love to see it, but clouds, sleep

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Seeing a ton of posts from people talking about crying or bucket list item etc (seeing all over my fb feeds).

Looks like we might be getting a repeat tonight for many (depending on cloud cover).

Me Personally this was perhaps one of the greatest sights I've ever seen with my own eyes, it's my first northern light seen in my 40+ years of being on this planet. My kids were just in awe and it was amazing to share this moment. So how impactful was this for you? Were you able to share this moment? For those that didn't get a chance to experience it looks like depending on cloud cover you might have a few more chances

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Unfortunately too much light pollution on my street to see them with the naked eye, so it wasn't as special as it could have been. Did show up in pictures I took which is neat.

ReclusiveHaze

Sep 1, 2022
It was neat to get pictures of it but it was really only visible through slow shutter speeds on my camera. My brain doesn't really get excited over these types of things anymore.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see squat last night. Neighborhood is too lit up by street lights, and where I live (hour south of downtown Chicago), it was stormy and cloudy.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I went out in Seattle at 10:30 to check and saw nothing. Phone camera was also blank (although I have no idea how to use my phone's camera: maybe there was a setting I was supposed to change?). Don't know if it's light pollution or it wasn't happening at the time?

Like, was I supposed to hang out for a while until it got going again? Or were y'all able to just poke your head out and see something?

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I'm in Orange County and it's been cloudy at night anyway. :(

All the years I lived in Washington state, every time they were "visible" it was cloudy.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
It was cool, but it made me want to see the stronger ones that really light up everything though.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Couldn't see much with just my eyes, so the experience wasn't particularly amazing or anything. It was just a neat thing, and I'm glad I only drove like 6 minutes to get away from some city lights.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It showed up on my camera, but with my naked eye it just looked like a faint grey haze. Oh well.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This time the sky was a little bit pinkish here where I live but decades ago I was lucky enough to watch the full program with all the colours over the complete sky while I was travelling in Norway. THAT was probably the most spectacular phenomenon in my whole lifetime.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Took some shots last night ten minutes after a friend got incredible results a ten minute walk away from me. The camera saw only clouds.

Trying again with a few friends from the camera club. The clouds are gathering again :(

Oct 27, 2017
They're not uncommon in Canada, so while they were strong, they weren't mystical. Still very cool. I flew to see the eclipse in Montreal, and to me that was much more of an experience.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a ton of posts from people talking about crying or bucket list item etc (seeing all over my fb feeds).

Looks like we might be getting a repeat tonight for many (depending on cloud cover).

Me Personally this was perhaps one of the greatest sights I've ever seen with my own eyes, it's my first northern light seen in my 40+ years of being on this planet. My kids were just in awe and it was amazing to share this moment. So how impactful was this for you? Were you able to share this moment? For those that didn't get a chance to experience it looks like depending on cloud cover you might have a few more chances
Hoping for another banger tonight in west coast.

TriceraPops

Oct 25, 2017
I went out in Seattle at 10:30 to check and saw nothing. Phone camera was also blank (although I have no idea how to use my phone's camera: maybe there was a setting I was supposed to change?). Don't know if it's light pollution or it wasn't happening at the time?

Like, was I supposed to hang out for a while until it got going again? Or were y'all able to just poke your head out and see something?
Gotta use the night mode ("Night Site") for Pixel. I'm across the Sound and got some good shots with just my phone. We were out at about 11pm. My neighbors went out at 2am and got good pics as well. So you just need clear view of the night sky and as little light pollution as possible.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sky here was very very faintly red tinted in an area. Took me a long time to notice. Tried to take a picture since people said you could see it better that way, but it still didn't do much. The red tint was marginally more noticeable but you still wouldn't even see it if you weren't specifically looking.

May have been too much light pollution.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

I'm out in Sammamish, and as I recall there wasn't much at 10:30, but I could see some faint streaks and colors around 11. Wasn't terribly impressive to the naked eye, but my wife got some cool shots.