Votes: 923 41.5%
  • I don't got no Switch

Votes: 163 7.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I'll wait until Smash. I just don't like most NES games. If SNES games or further on were in, that'd be a different story. But I'll wait.

Oct 27, 2017
With Splatoon support ending soon and this online solution being straight asscheeks, I will not be subscribing even though I might have to cave in when Smash comes out.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
It's worth it to me, so.. yes. We always knew the free online play was a temporary situation. It's silly to pretend this is some kind of about-face.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That is one of the few reasons which make sense for why Nintendo still do not offer local backups and don't appear to plan on adding it any time soon. It is an extremely simple feature.

Create a problem to sell you the solution.

What other conclusion is there? Allowing people to back up save files to a USB drive is a very basic feature that other consoles have offered for over a decade now.

For some reason the Switch never offered this feature, and I've seen many people on this forum report having their Switch break or become lost, and those people lost all their save files.

So now Nintendo shows up and wants to offer a solution to a problem they created, but they want us to pay them to fix it.

Neither the Wii U nor the 3DS offered backups that worked if your hardware was broken or stolen. This isn't a new problem they created. It's a problem they've had for a while given they are so tight with their save system. If you want to argue it should be free, sure.

This "service" is anti-consumer BS. Anyone putting money into it is encouraging Nintendo's anti-consumer practices and discouraging them from making the service better.

Anyone subscribing to the NOS is making it worse for everyone, because Nintendo will have less incentive to make an actual consumer-friendly service.

This may be the most unintentionally hilarious post I've seen in a while.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope, not worth it for me.

My online friends are too busy so its not worth investing for MP and I dont want to play with randoms.

Also the NES games arent enticing enough.

I dont see any value in subbing.

Pretty much MP is done for me when it comes to consoles - I'll stick to free MP on PC if I ever decide to do something MP wise (hence the reason why I buy multiplat titles on PC).

laughingmood

Apr 29, 2018
Hell no. After that direct I almost want to trade in my Switch. If SMT 5 doesnt deliver the system is dead to me.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I'm paying 5 dollars a month for PSN just so I can play MHW, only use cloud save backup and barely use any of their other services, and I'm not complaining.
Yeah I'm just gonna pay 20 dollars a year for Nintendo online so I can play Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash and whatever else comes out.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play games online, so of course. Super-cheap cost, and the classic games and cloud saves are a nice bonus.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither the Wii U nor the 3DS offered backups that worked if your hardware was broken or stolen. This isn't a new problem they created. It's a problem they've had for a while given they are so tight with their save system. If you want to argue it should be free, sure.

This may be the most unintentionally hilarious post I've seen in a while.
IIRC, the 3DS did at least offer local save backups of digital titles. Don't think they offered it for cartridge games which is a problem in itself.

Is this not a description of the USB backup service on the Wii U? https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2865/~/how-to-back-up-save-data

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
People need to get it through their heads that just because others are willing to sign up doesn't mean they love what is being offered or even agree its good. Accept the fact that these peopole enjoy playing Nintendo games online or any other game on the system online and want to continue to do so. At that point it's a mandatory buy to continue that. The same way it's a mandatory/non-issue on other systems when the only damn thing the person cares about is being able to continue playing FIFA, Madden, CoD, etc online. The amount of people that only care about doing that and don't give a damn about anything else offered really does get ignored.

Also people need to understand that just because one isn't screaming their head off, foaming at the mouth, or acting a fool doesn't mean they agree with what is being offered. People can be annoyed or upset and act like a calm person. Why? The reason is because this is not that fucking big of an issue. People have far more important issues in their lives that they deal with on a daily basis and don't have time to lose their minds over stupid game shit. Especially something that adds up to be less then $2 a month.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even MS & Sony don't provide a service I deem worthy of paying for. Nintendo just has everyone captive and is now exploiting their advantage. You're paying to keep what you had before for free (not precisely, but virtually).

I'm waiting for the inevitable influx of used Splatoon 2 carts that kids are dumping cuz they can no longer play it.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, the 3DS did at least offer local save backups of digital titles. Don't think they offered it for cartridge games which is a problem in itself.

Is this not a description of the USB backup service on the Wii U? https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2865/~/how-to-back-up-save-data

All the saves are tied to the hardware. If the hardware dies or is stolen, the saves are useless. Try transferring the drives or SD cards to other systems and they will not work. They were backups in case of hard drive failure, not system failure. The Wii U required transferring save data with game data, so it was a necessity since the internal drive was at max 32GB. The Switch on the other hand keeps all the saves on the internal drive negating the need for this.

It's very easy to misunderstand though.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
People who care how others spend 20 bucks should be ashamed of themselves
People care because the online underperforming, ie. people not spending their $20 for Switch's online, sends a message to Nintendo that their offering is not substantial enough to justify the price. Now, obviously you and everyone else will spend your money how you wish, but people who are against Nintendo's online do have a vested interest in people doing the opposite.

If everyone pays Nintendo $20 for the service, Nintendo will continue to roll out subpar offerings and not take online seriously.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the saves are tied to the hardware. If the hardware dies or is stolen, the saves are useless. Try transferring the drives or SD cards to other systems and they will not work. They were backups in case of hard drive failure, not system failure. The Wii U required transferring save data with game data, so it was a necessity since the internal drive was at max 32GB. The Switch on the other hand keeps all the saves on the internal drive negating the need for this.

It's very easy to misunderstand though.

Right, so even though they did offer it before, their previous implementation is basically useless for the majority of reasons why I'd actually want backups to begin with. Well I learnt something new today I guess.

I can now see the argument for why they aren't just removing a feature they had, at least. I really can't say it makes me improve my opinions of the situation very much though. Their offerings are still awful and they still are the only console manufacturer not to provide a free backup option.

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
There's no reason for me to subscribed.

I thought they would talk about the special deals since it was the only thing I wanted to know about the online serivce.

SNES games combine with clouds save will probably get me subscribe later on.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the relevance of prior Nintendo consoles not offering a save backup option? All that matters in this conversation is the fact that the Switch is the only current console not offering a free option to back up saved files.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
What is the relevance of prior Nintendo consoles not offering a save backup option? All that matters in this conversation is the fact that the Switch is the only current console not offering a free option to back up saved files.

You were suggesting they held back a feature just to charge for it. This makes no sense since it actually keeps in line with how their previous two systems work. I wasn't saying anything more than that. I also explicitly ended my post by saying I'd understand why you'd want cloud backups to be free.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You were suggesting they held back a feature just to charge for it. This makes no sense since it actually keeps in line with how their previous two systems work. I wasn't saying anything more than that. I also explicitly ended my post by saying I'd understand why you'd want cloud backups to be free.
Well the funny thing is they seem very aware save backups are a nice thing to have, and obviously they know they could enable the option to copy these save files to a USB drive. So it's certainly possible they chose to not offer this feature so they could charge for a solution.

Saying they were stupid about before doesn't seem like a point worth making, but that's just me.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I would have begrudgingly subscribed for cloud saves, but it looks like it's not going to support the kinds of games I'd most want to back up my save from. I don't play online enough and NES games have no appeal to me whatsoever so there's no point. I'd be able to split a family plan with friends but I'd rather just not give Nintendo the money for such a disappointing service. I'll probably cave once Crystal Chronicles Remastered is out though because I need to play that online.

Dec 11, 2017
For $4.38 a year, absolutely. I will get the $35 family and collect $4.38 from 7 of my friends. I like playing my Street Fighter games, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, Splatoon 2, DOOM, ARMS, Rocket League, and Fortnite (though the last one will remain free to play)...and look forward to SSB Ultimate and Pokémon: LG Pikachu.

It's also nice that I'll get cloud saves for over 90% of the software I own...as a "just in case" type of thing.

Add to that, a continuous roll of NES games each month with online functionality as a bonus and some other perks (probably little discounts) to come, with the possibility of SNES titles being added later...and the deal just sweetens.

When I think retroactively of all of the free years I got playing Nintendo games online, it makes paying now an even easier pill to swallow. I dig it.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I don't play online anymore, don't give a fuck about 30+ years old games, and the cloud save system they came up with is just embarrassingly bad.

So no, the price is irrelevant. The overall service package is just shit.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't play online on the Switch when it was free. No way would I pay now.

This service just sounds insulting.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I don't play online anymore, don't give a fuck about 30+ years old games, and the cloud save system they came up with is just embarrassingly bad.

So no, the price is irrelevant. The overall service package is just shit.
I couldn't have put better words in my mouth. These are my thoughts exactly. So underwhelming, and that's an understatement.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped paying for online a few years ago. Wouldn't want to go back now.

*Actually by a few years I meant last year lol. Good god it's been a long year.*

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
At the moment nothing about it offers anything I want that I don't have now so I won't be getting it right away.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to, even at $20, but then I remembered Warframe was coming so I might sub for that.

Aug 24, 2018
Nope.

Will still purchase single player games that are multiplatform on Switch, but if its a game I'll ever try multiplayer on I'm gonna go PS4

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll subscribe. Its cheap enough for me and i need it to fulfill my smash bros and splatoon online needs.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The NES games and the need to play smash online are enough for me.