chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
b63f3e8ef596416fa26a5ea073389e83.jpg

I recently found out theres a distinct difference between jelly and jam. The latter has parts of the fruit mixed with the sugar and whatever gelling agent you use while the former only has the juice of the fruit.

Look at these choice quotes from the wikipedia article:

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich (PB&J) consists of peanut butter and fruit preserves—jelly—spread on bread.

There are many variations of the sandwich, starting with the basic peanut butter sandwich or jam sandwich.

If you're using jam then you're having a half jam/peanut butter sandwich. It's not a PB&J.

I also heard word on the street that the default fruit jelly of a PB&J was grape. I never had that either.

I'm just a fool who likes to slap together strawberry jam with peanut butter.

tbh I prefer jam sandwiches with butter more.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
it's a pb&j regardless of what fruit preserve you use. jelly and jam are interchangable here, it's just that nobody ever calls it a "peanut butter and jam sandwich", it's always a peanut butter and jelly even if you use strawberry jam or raspberry preserves or w/e

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Jam and jelly are the same. I don't care what people say.

What's the difference between Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Spreads, and B

Farmer Tad often gets asked "What's the difference between all of these fruits in a jar? What works well on toast? What would I like best?" Jelly: Jelly is made with strained fruit juice. There are no pieces of fruit in jelly. Jam: Jam is made with mashed fruit. Preserves: Preserves have whole...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The real question is, what's the order? Do you eat with the peanut butter side on top or the jam/jelly side on top?

Imma bread/pb/jam/bread guy, myself.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I don't think the PBJ Police will arrest you for using jam. Now if you do some shit like use cashew butter or whatever then you're going to PBJ Jail to rot with the people who cut the crusts off.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Trust me, jam is perfectly fine it doesn't need to be jelly to be authentic PB&J. Jelly is usually cheaper and was more common when PB&J was growing in popularity decades ago in the USA; that's probably why the jelly part sticks in the national consciousness. These days, it's easier to find higher quality jams/fruit preserves on the shelf.

As a kid, I almost always had JELLY, usually grape. These days I buy exclusively what most would call "jam" as it has more fruit in it. Strawberry usually.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jam and jelly are the same. I don't care what people say.

There's definitely a difference with how much of the actual fruit is on the jar. The texture changes so much especially if they add extra fruit or other fruits/rhubarb. It's like saying there's no difference between orange juice with pulp and no pulp. Tell that to the people who really hate pulp.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean sure, PB&J stands for 'Peanut Butter and Jelly' not jam... But I won't say no to a good Peanut Butter and Jam sandwich!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There's definitely a difference with how much of the actual fruit is on the jar. The texture changes so much especially if they add extra fruit or other fruits/rhubarb. It's like saying there's no difference between orange juice with pulp and no pulp. Tell that to the people who really hate pulp.

You just made my point though. You don't not call any of those orange juice. Feed someone a pb and jam they aint gonna be like you made that wrong lmao

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I use strawberry preserves because I want those chunky clots in there. I call it a pb&p.

Grape jelly is good and all, but I want those clots.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
There's no "B" for bread so technically you need to just congeal jelly and peanut butter into a glob and eat that

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use peanut butter on my sandwiches, and nobody has arrested me yet. I think you'll be okay using jam, OP.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
It is definitely primarily jelly.

But go ahead and have jam and call it a pbj anyhow.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Listen, I'm just saying if you're using jam then you're eating at best a variation of PB&J.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't own a toaster anymore. I can't deal with all this jelly jam shit.