Do you sleep with your socks on?

• Yes, always

Votes: 154 8.1%
  • Of course not, I'm not a fucking peasant

Votes: 1,078 56.8%
  • Depends on how hot/cold it is, duh

Votes: 439 23.1%
  • I didn't even know this was a matter of debate...

Votes: 226 11.9%

• Total voters

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
I have shitty circulation in my feet sleeping with socks on all the time would practically be a slow death sentence lol. I don't get how it's more comfy than being barefoot though unless it's absolutely freezing, just feels annoying unless they're a perfect fit

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
When the weather gets cold I'll put on a clean pair of socks after a warm (scalding) shower and cosy pyjamas. Feels very normal to me and I don't think anyone I've known has thought otherwise? they literally sell socks called bed socks for this purpose

cold weather = rug up more, makes sense

If you wear socks you've worn during the the day to bed though that's foul sorry

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I've done it but it's rare.

For me I remember it's just what we did at bedtime when I was a kid. Pyjamas on, no socks. It always felt right to remove the day's socks before going to bed.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Sleeping with socks sounds extremely weird. I also find it weird that people sleep in clothes, like pyjamas.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Man, this thread must have been a trigger. It's coming up to winter here and it's the first time I'm feeling cold without the heat on. Time to get the doona (duvet, eiderdown, continental quilt) out.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I usually don't wear socks to bed but will have a fresh/clean pair on some rare evenings when it's particularly cooler inside.

How is it "wrong" or something you're not "supposed" to do though?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
In the winter I do and don't use socks that I've been walking around my place with.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I sleep under a sheet or light sleeping bag for most of the year as I get hot really quickly, sleeping with socks on sounds like a nightmare, my fan cooling my feet is the one thing keeping me cool enough to sleep

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I run hot.

I would never dream of wearing socks to bed. Sounds like torture.

I've also never been all that cold in bed 🤔

I like my house at 64-65 to sleep in. Winter or summer.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
But why? It's time to sleep, not to dress up. Like you have a duvet (not sure if that's the correct word) over you. I would probably have clothes on if I didn't have that. :lol
I think it's weird how people don't grasp that there's a gufe amount of variance In people. In sleeping that included things like what you're personally used to, things how your body feels different things such as clothing and the sheets, how warm your body and skin are and how much heat is dissipated from various body parts and many major others, how warm your room is etc etc.

Personally I need to use a thin shirt covering my arms and have socks on when I sleep because otherwise I (unconsciously) wrap the blanket on me entirely. And if I do that, I end up sweating like crazy because my metabolism is high and I produce a lot of heat which doesnt escape well enough from under the blanket. But when I wear the shirt and socks, I can keep the blanket only on the main part and still have enough places from which the heat gets out.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In the winter I get cold feet so wear thermal socks sometimes that's about it

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Definitely never sleep in socks for me, I have like most dudes I think leg hair lol. It always tugs on the hair of the lower legs and that shit hurts when you wake up in the morning, Of course if you only wear ankle socks it would not be a problem. Lucky my problem was solved as a adult when I moved out and stop sleeping with any clothes on lol.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
only when it's cold
and then they still manage to find a way to not be on my feet anymore when waking up

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
My feet just radiate heat. They are always hanging outside the covers.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I was only ever advised to do so by my GP, and specifically with cotton socks, after I began developing pitted keratolysis, to absorb moisture overnight (and to then be changed in the morning) and limit the spread of the bacteria

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
But why? It's time to sleep, not to dress up. Like you have a duvet (not sure if that's the correct word) over you. I would probably have clothes on if I didn't have that. :lol

I never used to get pajamas until I realised if I wear pajamas I can get away without ever needing any form of heating turned on at night and some nights it's just really cold.

fairwxfriend

Jan 31, 2021
I'm a hot sleeper I think I would die if I wore socks

Ya'll know the stick out one leg from under the covers to cool off trick? lol

Arms out of the covers too

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
When I was in the hospital both times I had to wear those hospital socks while sleeping and I hated it. My feet need to breathe at night.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Just wet socks for me.

MV5BMTQxMDUxODMyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjA1NjEyMjE@._V1_.jpg

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those insanely stupid things people will flip out over with no real reason.

I don't normally and frankly don't remember the last time I have but if you're sleeping somewhere really cold then explain why it would be a bad idea

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
In winter, the only time I'm not wearing socks is in the shower. At night, depending on temperature, I either wear normal socks, sports socks or those really thick slipper socks with rubber grips. They are separate bed socks. I don't wear my day socks in bed.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I rarely sleep with socks on, but at the same time the suggestion that it's "common knowledge" that doing so is "wrong" is incredibly weird to me

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It's gonna give you athletes foot surely? Especially if you've sweat in them at some point during the day

If you're somewhere cold and you haven't sweat in them then it isn't gonna cause any issues though, although definitely feels weird

Last edited:

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Have researchers looked into this? Yes, yes they have: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29699592/

Results: The results showed that sleep-onset latency was on average 7.5 min shorter, total sleep time was 32 min longer, the number of awakenings was 7.5 times smaller, and sleep efficiency was 7.6% higher for those wearing feet-warming bed socks during a 7-h sleep than control (no bed socks) (all P < 0.05). Also, their foot temperature was maintained on average 1.3 °C higher and the value in the distal-proximal skin temperature gradient was higher for those wearing feet warming bed socks when compared to the control condition (P < 0.05). However, there were no significant differences in heart rate, rectal and mean skin temperature, or in the questionnaire-based subjective evaluations between the two conditions.

So yeah… why is that?

health.clevelandclinic.org

Can Wearing Socks to Bed Help You Sleep Better?

Tossing and turning because your feet are freezing? Shuffling your feet in the sheets trying to warm them up? Wearing socks to bed can help you fall asleep faster and snooze better.

So, what does adding in a fluffy pair of socks do? Those cuddly duds warm your feet, relaxing and widening blood vessels that constricted while cold.

This improved blood circulation in your overall body helps release more heat through your skin.

"By making your feet warmer, you're opening up blood vessels to help cool down the rest of the body," notes Dr. Drerup. "So increasing the blood circulation to your feet results in a lower core temperature. It seems counterintuitive, but that's what happens."

Conclusion? Be a psychopath and wear a pair of nice clean socks to bed

/ insert "The More You Know" GIF here