Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Disney Star Wars (outside of Rogue One I guess, which is immediately the best Star Wars Disney made on account of it having actual stakes and consequences) is so stupid. Plot armor the size of the death star. Even the much lauded The Mandalorian has every single enemy be a complete jobber to a comical level. The only time a storm trooper hit something (not impenetrable) in 15 hours of television was that one time the storm troopers were on the heroes' side. They might as well not be there, and the shows and movies are certainly better when they aren't.

So yes, not only would Luke have been able to crush the First Order, he would have been able to crush them by diverting Starkiller Base its laserbeam back to them, if the plot had asked him to be on any of the new republics home planets.

Last edited:

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Movie Jedi are pretty weak.

TLJ Luke would've looked ridiculous taking out the First Order ala Neo. His Kylo trolling was the best thing they could've done there

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
They could have made Luke able to do that if they felt like it. The sequel trilogy clearly just went crazy with powers characters had never demonstrated before, or had been established by any characters in the prequels.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Getting past the first laser barrage would be the hardest part.

Anakin would have bullshitted his way into closing the gap and went about murdering everyone inside the machines so Luke has the potential but he's not built that way.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
He'd have fucking died. Jedi are not super heroes and it kills me when people non-ironically start talking about "power levels" as if this is DBZ or something. I hated everything about Rise of Skywalker's portrayal of the Force except for the Dyad stuff and the Force healing, though the later should not have been introduced so late in the saga because it becomes yet another one of the movie's last-minute ass pulls.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
yep. Decently strong non-force users like Jango Fett clones could easily take down most Jedi with only a few dozen troops and Grievous was standing toe to toe with many Jedi masters.

Top tier Jedi are mostly single platoon ground troop level. Highest tier might be able to take down one or two flight craft if within a limited range. Like Palpatine is quite frankly ridiculous in TRoS considering that's leagues beyond what he's shown in any other Star Wars movie in a weakened body at that.

Palpatine had just absorbed a bunch of life force from Rey and Ben just before that, to be fair.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's also star wars, where stormtroopers are completely useless when against a main character, but against any rando on screen they are elite soldiers who are a serious threat and can actually shoot you.

Where armor random works.

The force works when they see fit.

Mandos die as fast as stormtroopers until the plot dictates.

Ships with shields blow up in one shot, when convenient.

Fanboys will try to explain it all away, but it's a contrived space fantasy where what matters is what is cool to see, it's never been consistent.

Oct 25, 2017
Luke should have actually shown up,
Fought and defeated Kylo,
Kylo starts to run away and orders the walkers to fire on him.
Smoke and dust cloud clear only to reveal Luke's robe blowing away.

or heck it clears and reveals Force ghost Luke standing there who then says "see you around kid"

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I do think this validates the reason TFA and TLJ sidelined Luke. Yes, he was a badass, and yes that was amazing, but those few minutes have taken over the entire conversation about the Mandalorian.

The show is bigger and has room to breathe, but a movie with a full force Luke as an action hero needs to be about Luke, and his appearance naturally gravitates the story and audience interest toward it

or heck it clears and reveals Force ghost Luke standing there who then says "see you around kid"

How is this any dramatically different from what we got?

Nov 7, 2019
I really wish puking a puking emoji wasn't used in the OP, stop projecting your feelings towards the film on others.

Luke could have done that but it wasn't what he chose to do.

Nov 2, 2018
I do think this validates the reason TFA and TLJ sidelined Luke. Yes, he was a badass, and yes that was amazing, but those few minutes have taken over the entire conversation about the Mandalorian.

The show is bigger and has room to breathe, but a movie with a full force Luke as an action hero needs to be about Luke, and his appearance naturally gravitates the story and audience interest toward it

It apes the OT some more.

vpricot

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chalk me up as one of the people who loves the ending of TLJ, but I feel like my smooth brain does have a way where I can have that and some fan service.

I imagine what if you crank up Luke's force projection and mind trickery. He shows up, survives the walker blasts. Then he does the fanservicey thing people want. Kylo comes out, and sees Luke like destroying walkers with the force. When he fights Luke is absolutely overwhelming him and tearing the earth from the ground and Kylo is visibly afraid and narrowly missing killing blows. Then in an act of desperation manages to land a lethal blow himself.

Now the scene plays out like it does in the movie, Luke is clearly unphased. Kylo gets off the ground and realizes he's a projection, Luke goes "See ya later fucko" or whatever he says, and then disappears. Once he disappears so does the rest of the projections. The walkers are still sanding, the ground is unscathed. All that's left is a winded Kylo. It was ALL a trick.

Now from the Resistance pov they just escaped thanks to a godlike Jedi.

And from the perspective of the First Order they just watched Kylo flail around and cower in the face of a single Jedi who didn't do much. Kinda destroying Kylos Big Bad reputation. Then Luke dies on Ach To as before.

Fanservicey spectacle, while also displaying Luke's cleverness as opposed to raw power. He gives the Resistance hope, while shaking the faith of the First Order.

At least that's what my child brain thinks is cool lol.

EDIT: I should reiterate I would not actually replace the TLJ ending with this, just would be fun lol.

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean the Jedi were constantly getting stomped by Ventriss, Dooku and Grevious in the war. Took multiple jedi to fight any of them at any time and were constantly getting shit on. A full power Sith like Palpatine? Maybe. A light side Jedi? Abso-fucking-lutely-not.

I was wanting to write a thread about how absolutely weak most Jedi were, especially compared to most Sith.

Luke showing up to that encounter would of been absolutely decimated. Between the army there and Kylo Ren, he wouldn't stand a chance.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't like the comic book/videogame mentality that so many SW fans have tried to apply to the series.

SW is about the relationships between the characters, between parents and children, master and apprentice, heroes and villains. It's not about midichlorian counts, power levels and cartoon magic powers.

The occasional bit of space wizardry should only ever be used in service of the story and it should never break the story. The stuff you see in the EU, both old and new, is absurd because it clearly cannot be reconciled with the films (pre-TROS).

The whole idea of TLJ (and the prequels) is that the Jedi had been revered as these godly figures but in reality they are very much mortal and their powers have very clear limits. They are not celestial beings who can win wars on their own.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe they should have made the new sequels about luke then since that's clearly what everyone wanted. Still could have made it good with decent character development and ideas

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Power creep is a real thing everybody.

Going by RoS, yes he should have been able to handle the First Order.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

"Every word of what you've just said was wrong"

The force projection, across the galaxy, was more breath taking and interesting.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should have made the new sequels about luke then since that's clearly what everyone wanted. Still could have made it good with decent character development and ideas
Youre right, but then the ship sailed to do that with Mark Hamil a while ago, and a recast would've been a differnt set of issues (although I think they need to just do it already)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Force projection is probably the dumbest Force ability we have seen and completely unnecessary if the outcome was exactly the same.
It's not uncessary, he made himself look younger, and created a more mythical version of himself that could survive an onslaughter of fire power, which overall made the distraction more effective.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Maybe in his prime, but
at that point in the last jedi he's using up his last bit of life to project himself across the galaxy. I would think the physical toll of fighting the entire Last Order, plus Kylo, would be too much.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Question: Does Luke get his slightly waterlogged X-Wing for this?

Because Luke Skywalker is a passable ground warrior, but an excellent pilot. You'd need Kylo Ren in a fighter to have anything that could challenge him from that lineup.

Oct 29, 2017
Force projection is probably the dumbest Force ability we have seen and completely unnecessary if the outcome was exactly the same.

Force projection across the galaxy is honestly one of the most impressive things a Jedi has ever done on film, in my opinion. We saw just how difficult it was for Luke to do and maintain as he literally died from it. Luke, THE Jedi Master, died from it. It felt like something a legendary figure would do in an old story, the tale of the Jedi Master who was so powerful and in tune with the Force that he/she could project themselves hundreds of millions of lightyears away and perfectly interact with the people on that planet.

Honestly, it was the greatest moment in that movie to me (and possibly in the entire sequel trilogy), and this is coming from someone who has much criticism for TLJ as a whole. It was a fitting end for a character I hold dear.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for people enjoying Star Wars how they want to and everything, and I mean this with no disrespect... but who gives a fuck, and who wants to see that?

I'm so tired of the conversation surrounding Jedi and Luke in particular revolving around power levels, and finally getting to see "Prime" Luke, or "Badass" Luke, when all I want is an enjoyable, well written, well developed character.

The shit in those comics is stupid as hell, and just diminishes the characters because there are no stakes I can believe in. Same goes for TROS.

jvsIqgz.gif

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think if he steps out like his projection did in the movie it would've been dicey for him.

If Luke decided after the jedi temple gets destroyed, Ben becomes kylo and the first order is established to go after the empire then I think they would have been fucked. He would have dismantled them piece by piece and force crushed Palpatines throat. Luke took himself out of the game with guilt.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They should have made edgy Luke. Like he uses his lightsaber to fuck himself up just like his farther then dons a similar cybernetic suit, picks up a red light saber and starts lopping people to pieces while screaming a lot in a robot voice. Maybe the Joker laugh for good measure.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, if BB8 can commandeer a mech, kick in the door and mow down dozens of stormtroopers at the drop of a hat, then Luke can manage.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
He already took on the entire empire with his laser sword, but it turns out winning in that case required him rejecting the dark side and choosing pacifism.

In the events leading up to the sequel trilogy, Luke faced utter devastation and failure. But when faced with this failure, unlike his father Anakin, and like Luke already did before, instead of choosing the dark side as a result, he chose not to play - he chose again pacifism. He cut himself off from the Force completely.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have made edgy Luke. Like he uses his lightsaber to fuck himself up just like his farther then dons a similar cybernetic suit, picks up a red light saber and starts lopping people to pieces while screaming a lot in a robot voice. Maybe the Joker laugh for good measure.

The Skywalker That Laughs? Are you Zack Snyder incognito? 🤔

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I grew up through school in the 70's and 80's playing with imaginary light sabres in the playground, hearing them being called laser swords just sounds odd.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Considering his fate from using force projection from light years away, I'm gonna go with no. He probably would have died of force stroke anyway.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the light side of the force being nerfed by Palpatine during Order 66?