• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super late to the Switch party, basically just picked one up for Smash Bros around Christmas and figured I'd go check out some of the older exclusives I'd missed.

Imagine my surprise when Zelda BOTW and Bayonetta 2 are both still $60 new everywhere I look. What's the deal with that? Where do people look for cheap Switch games? Is this just Nintendo being anti-consumer because they can?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
nintendo knows they can sell certain games for $60 for a long ass time before doing a price drop

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm not seeing how not dropping the price for BOTW is "anti-consumer"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Must be your first rodeo with nintendo.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo tax. They have evergreen titles that sell for the entire lifespan of their hardware.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Correct, they go on sale, they don't drop in price. Zelda and bayo have been 40 dollars a few times in 2018

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see once again that Nintendo games holding their value is "anti-consumer". You do know that price drops are for the benefit of the publisher, not the customer, right?

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing how not dropping the price for BOTW is "anti-consumer"

I mean Sony and Microsoft both regularly drop the prices on their older games, it's kinda nice to pick up a secondary console later in its lifecycle and pick up good older games for $20-30.

You don't think it's anti-consumer to be charging $60 for a game that came out 2 years ago?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
If the market is still willing to buy your game at $60 why lower the price, what we can hope for is switch games getting a Nintendo select collection and offering games for 29.99.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Sony and Microsoft both regularly drop the prices on their older games, it's kinda nice to pick up a secondary console later in its lifecycle and pick up good older games for $20-30.

You don't think it's anti-consumer to be charging $60 for a game that came out 2 years ago?
No? The price reflects the demand, if the demand fell, the price would too. You can bet if Sony or Microsoft were capable of selling the same game at full price for years, they would too.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some 3DS games are still full price, Switch is still new to Nintendo. Prices of the games are one reason i don't buy too many on Nintendo devices

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There have been a fair few good eShop sales on in the past, especially the Christmas sales going through to early January where I grabbed Octopath for dirt cheap. Also check local brick 'n' mortar stores, they have them decently priced for sales. Here in Australia I find quite a lot of the time our physical stores have them cheaper.

Who's to say they aren't capable?

They do it with HD remakes ;)

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

Alternatively, you can view it as a positive that Nintendo games hold their price. You can buy a game at launch for full price, play as much of it as you want, and then sell it six months later for 80% of what you paid for it.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, a lot of other games from other companies get tons of price drops.

I hate the price-gouging as much as the next Switch owner, but how is it anti-consumer? Loads of industries have companies that offer products at varying prices. Just because one company decides to offer a product at a lesser price, doesn't mean that another is forced to do the same thing.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP if you are looking for Mario games, they will be available for $40 starting March 10 for a week.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. Games drop in price because it helps them to continue to sell. If a publisher can continue to sell at full price, they will, which is why GTA V also sold at full price for years. A publisher drops the price because they need to in order to maintain sales, not to be nice.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can find them on sale sometimes at least.

Hyrule Warriors though I can't seem to ever find on sale...

400876670350786564.gif

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Not dropping a price is not anti-consumer. Come oooooon. Just because everyone else devalues their games within a couple months to bargain bin prices doesn't mean its wrong for Nintendo not to. Isn't it actually kinda a bad thing to slash prices so heavily and quickly anyway?

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Must be your first rodeo with nintendo.

It is lol. Well since the N64 I guess.

And I guess there are now posters defending Nintendo's behavior so I guess that probably won't be changing any time soon.

Meh, guess I'll keep scouring for used games or see how much I can selling the Switch, I definitely don't want to reward blatantly anti-consumer practices. Serves me right for not doing my research before picking up the console, I was so confident the pricing of all the games would be in line with the rest of the industry

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just wait for a sale OP and you can get a decent price on most games. Top tier Nintendo titles like Zelda, Mario, and Smash being the rarest sales, of course.

Not to say I wouldn't like a price drop here or there, but it's healthy for the industry not to devalue games too much. Nintendo has the privilege of evergreen titles that never seem to stop selling. Trust me, the Switch games that stop selling will lower in price to meet demand.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Switch actually gets way more sales for first party games than the Wii U, you just have to look around. I'm constantly seeing sales but you gotta actually look

Here's one...
Already own a Nintendo Switch system? Amazon is also offering deals on select digital titles featuring Mario. Get a digital download code of Super Mario Party, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, or New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe for $39.99 each.
Offer valid from 3/10 – 3/16, or while supplies last. Please check Amazon.com for details and availability.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals

Apr 16, 2018
Lmao, you will never see it, bro.

Just pick the exclusives you really, really want the most and you'll get over it.