• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you answer unknown numbers?

• Yes, might be important

Votes: 37 6.5%
  • Absolutely Not....

Votes: 460 80.7%
  • Sometimes 2: The Dark World

Votes: 73 12.8%

• Total voters

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Google mostly automatically blocks the spam calls for me on my Pixel, but also I can identify them readily: they think they are being clever by faking a number with the same area code, when I have not lived in that area code for decades and know very well the tiny handful of numbers I can actually expect a legit call from.

Generally, if you are not known to me and don't leave a voicemail, it must not have been that important to you.

never

Oct 28, 2017
Come on OP. You do know they aren't important. That's why you don't pick up. There aren't important phone calls anymore. The phone has gone the way of regular mail, and email, and social media, where the entire communication systems exist for unwanted communications now

It kind of depends on your situation. As someone with health issues, a lot of doctors offices and medical device companies communicate via telephone. I frequently have to answer numbers I don't know because of this. I've missed countless referrals for appointments and devices because I didn't answer a number. It''s not a huge deal, but sometimes it does cost me money and/or time if I miss one.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any number that calls me and isn't in my contacts gets sent straight to voicemail. If they don't leave a voicemail, it must not actually be important.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
It kind of depends on your situation. As someone with health issues, a lot of doctors offices and medical device companies communicate via telephone. I frequently have to answer numbers I don't know because of this. I've missed countless referrals for appointments and devices because I didn't answer a number. It''s not a huge deal, but sometimes it does cost me money and/or time if I miss one.
Don't they leave a message? Kinda blows the whole "If it's important they'll leave a message" out of the water?

grimmgoose

Oct 4, 2023
I'm one of those weird millennials that prefers calling over text, but I absolutely will not answer an unknown number. If it's important enough, you'll leave a message.

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Am I the only one who mocks spam calls?

I get a lot of O2 (British phone provider) scam calls which asks for login info to my O2 account for a big reward, if am bored with work I just answer them and make them repeat same sentence 329874923 times till they hang up or I just act like an old person giving them wrong login info. Sometimes I just repeat what they say lol that drives them crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
If it's an actual important call, I check the voicemail like a minute later.

It's cumbersome, but it prevents me from talking to any scamming assholes.

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
Not in my contacts, not answering. Leave me a voicemail or send a text if you are using someone else's phone. Sucks, but thems the rules.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I will answer if caller ID shows me a name I recognize. If it's just a number or it's anonymous, it goes to voice.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
My number got leaked by some company and I was getting 5-10 spam calls a day. I'm on the Do Not Call Registry, reported every call I could to the FTC, got a spam blocker, but in the end, the only thing that has worked for me is silencing all unknown incoming calls and asking people who might call me for their number so I can whitelist them in advance.

But yeah, I was getting so much Medicare fraud calls, solar panel spam, silent calls. The only saving grace was I told the first caller my parent's name instead of mine so if someone calls asking for them, I know immediately it's spam.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I do answer almost every call that comes in, if it's work hours at least. I use one phone for personal/work, having a Google voice number for the latter. Having a Pixel, It's good at filtering out spam but it's not 100%, if I'm off the clock and or I don't recognize the number It's an automatic non-answer.

Text are the bigger annoyance. I get approximately 5-10 GOP spam messages a day, if its election season or right now with the trial going on it's closer to 10-20. I usually see a quick blink on my screen of the phone blocking it or my notification sound going off for a fraction of a second. They think my name is Cherise and the most messages I ever got was I believe 26, the day after January 6th.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Pixel does my screening. A virtual bouncer, if you will
y6eK2p.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Between t-mobiles spam blocker and my iPhones spam blocker I barely get any coming through these days. Only pick up for family and clients these days tho.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
If I don't know the number, no answer and I will report as spam... voicemail? I disabled it too.