• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
January 5th, 2021 Update, Announcement Trailer!

Folks... at long last, I emerge with an update. We've released the announcement trailer. What a journey to get to this point!

Appreciate the feedback this community has provided. Particularly with how the characters look. It's crazy how different the character proportions are from when I first posted this thread. Anyway, eager for thoughts and feedback! Always looking for ways to improve.

Original Post

Hey Era,

I've been really eager to share that i am developing a game! This community has been such a huge part of my life over the past 14 years. In that timespan, i got married, became a dad, graduated highschool, moved from Indonesia to the US, graduated univesity, migrated from GAF to Era, gave up alcohol for good, moved back to Indonesia and well now, i am finally developing games… all in that order. This has been a dream of mine for a really long time, and it just feels right to share this with my internet fam. I know many of you have a similar dream. I've no idea how this game will turn out, but i've been having the time of my life making it and hope this thread not only documents the games dev process, but also help nudge a few people to start pursuing their similar dream.

JDJmHvb.jpg

(slightly zoomed out look at player farm, disclaimer work in progress many placeholder assets)

The game i am developing is called Coral Island, and it is a farm sim island life RPG in the vein of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley. Farm sim games hold a really special place in my heart -- at around the age of 10 my parents had a very bad and nasty divorce, and my mother had a really hard time coping with it -- i introduced Harvest Moon to her and we played through it together. The game provided a needed escape, and really helped us get through a difficult time.

3oIC7Ih.png
kAca4uP.png

(closer look at sample female and male customized character)

Coral Island aims to build on what makes the genre special, offering a zen like gameplay experience, whilst incorporating topics we find really important. Namely, this includes having a very diverse cast of characters on the island to represent all walks of life. Second, tackle the issue of sustainability by depicting the impact that global pollution has on our coral reefs and ecosystem, while meaningfully tying this to the core gameplay loop. We're attempting a Disney inspired art style, and really not sure if we are nailing it or not. The project officially started in early October last year, and we are targeting a Q1-Q2 2021 early access release.

UuyDCRR.png

(Joko the carpenter, Yuri and Luke as dateables, and Mayor Connor!)

We've been fortunate to have some really talented people join the studio. The sad thing about the game development scene in Indonesia is that it is almost non-existent. Most people have experience working in asset houses, but first hand game dev experience is rare. The first 6 months were quite brutal for us as a team. It was a period of learning and getting a handle of UE4, whilst also finding a good working rhythm. We also transitioned to Work From Home early this month because of the Coronavirus, and its been a challenge adjusting to that, but alas the show must go on.

m0FU3LO.jpg

(default camera zoom)

I am working alongside my wife on this game, which has really been a blast. She is creative director, and handles the writing and world-building of the game. My role is game director, which has me spin many plates at once lol. To pursue game dev, my wife and i have been saving funds for a real long time, and recently liquidated some investments. We also have a business partner/co-founder who serves as producer. I still work a full time, so the number of hours i rack up between that and game dev is a fair bit. Definitely feels like a family game, as my daughter also helps with bug hunting (the nasty ones), she seems to have an innate ability to break the game within 1-5 minutes of holding the controller.

But wow... making games is HARD, and emotions swing frequently between bouts of excitement and tsunamis of doubt. It's certainly the most challenging thing i've ever done in my life. The past two years have really opened my eyes how complicated games are in the AAA space, let alone the tremendous amount of effort that goes into shipping any title, big or small. Ironically, the struggle of developing games has made me fall more in love with the medium. Kudos to all the other creators out there.

There is so much more i could and want to share, but feel like i've rambled on a fair amount already, and kind all over the place… so this might be a good place to stop for now. I plan to use this thread to document the games progress, and more importantly, get feedback from anyone that is willing to give it, good or bad. What would be real helpful is ideas or suggestion how to improve anything really. Have seen so many hours of the game that its hard to assume the perspective of fresh eyes. To an extent, i do believe in the magic power of the Era hivemind lol.

Ya'll are good people Era, and i am proud to be part of this community.

Thanks to Bufbaf for making a thread on his game Orbis Furgae, which eventually inspired this one.

Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey Era,

I've been really eager to share that i am developing a game! This community has been such a huge part of my life over the past 14 years. In that timespan, i got married, became a dad, graduated highschool, moved from Indonesia to the US, graduated univesity, migrated from GAF to Era, gave up alcohol for good, moved back to Indonesia and well now, i am finally developing games… all in that order. This has been a dream of mine for a really long time, and it just feels right to share this with my internet fam. I know many of you have a similar dream. I've no idea how this game will turn out, but i've been having the time of my life making it and hope this thread not only documents the games dev process, but also help nudge a few people to start pursuing their similar dream.

JDJmHvb.jpg

(slightly zoomed out look at player farm, disclaimer work in progress many placeholder assets)

The game i am developing is called Coral Island, and it is a farm sim island life RPG in the vein of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley. Farm sim games hold a really special place in my heart -- at around the age of 10 my parents had a very bad and nasty divorce, and my mother had a really hard time coping with it -- i introduced Harvest Moon to her and we played through it together. The game provided a needed escape, and really helped us get through a difficult time.

3oIC7Ih.png
kAca4uP.png

(closer look at sample female and male customized character)

Coral Island aims to build on what makes the genre special, offering a zen like gameplay experience, whilst incorporating topics we find really important. Namely, this includes having a very diverse cast of characters on the island to represent all walks of life. Second, tackle the issue of sustainability by depicting the impact that global pollution has on our coral reefs and ecosystem, while meaningfully tying this to the core gameplay loop. We're attempting a Disney inspired art style, and really not sure if we are nailing it or not. The project officially started in early October last year, and we are targeting a Q1-Q2 2021 early access release.

UuyDCRR.png

(Joko the carpenter, Yuri and Luke as dateables, and Mayor Connor!)

We've been fortunate to have some really talented people join the studio. The sad thing about the game development scene in Indonesia is that it is almost non-existent. Most people have experience working in asset houses, but first hand game dev experience is rare. The first 6 months were quite brutal for us as a team. It was a period of learning and getting a handle of UE4, whilst also finding a good working rhythm. We also transitioned to Work From Home early this month because of the Coronavirus, and its been a challenge adjusting to that, but alas the show must go on.

m0FU3LO.jpg

(default camera zoom)

I am working alongside my wife on this game, which has really been a blast. She is creative director, and handles the writing and world-building of the game. My role is game director, which has me spin many plates at once lol. To pursue game dev, my wife and i have been saving funds for a real long time, and recently liquidated some investments. We also have a business partner/co-founder who serves as producer. I still work a full time, so the number of hours i rack up between that and game dev is a fair bit. Definitely feels like a family game, as my daughter also helps with bug hunting (the nasty ones), she seems to have an innate ability to break the game within 1-5 minutes of holding the controller.

But wow... making games is HARD, and emotions swing frequently between bouts of excitement and tsunamis of doubt. It's certainly the most challenging thing i've ever done in my life. The past two years have really opened my eyes how complicated games are in the AAA space, let alone the tremendous amount of effort that goes into shipping any title, big or small. Ironically, the struggle of developing games has made me fall more in love with the medium. Kudos to all the other creators out there.

There is so much more i could and want to share, but feel like i've rambled on a fair amount already, and kind all over the place… so this might be a good place to stop for now. I plan to use this thread to document the games progress, and more importantly, get feedback from anyone that is willing to give it, good or bad. What would be real helpful is ideas or suggestion how to improve anything really. Have seen so many hours of the game that its hard to assume the perspective of fresh eyes. To an extent, i do believe in the magic power of the Era hivemind lol.

Ya'll are good people Era, and i am proud to be part of this community.

Thanks to Bufbaf for making a thread on his game Orbis Furgae, which eventually inspired this one.
Art style is lovely...

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
This looks really nice. Can I ask what engine you're using? Is this Unity?

edit: ignore me, just saw the UE4 comment in the OP.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I'm really digging the characters' art, especially Joko, and it's always nice to have another Indonesian game!

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I like how the game looks with the exception of the ingame character models which for a lack of a better word I'd say I emphatically dislike. 2D designs are good.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a good foundation for a game. The world needs more agriculture RPGs!

Best of luck to your game, OP.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I love the artwork!

Wish you all the best in this project, hopefully I'll be playing it in a few years as I love farm sims.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thoughts and comments you guys! I am going to be putting together a video, hope to share sometime next week.

Really excited to show our use of alembic animations on things. Kind of overkill but its really satisfying to see your tools interact with the debris in this manner.

Ooh, I think I see a lot of progress on this! I remember drawings of Yuri, I think :D

Good luck!

Cheers and to you as well!

That looks great!
Is it releasing on consoles?

I would really love to release the game on consoles eventually... in fact it would be a downright honor lol. But the focus right now is to ship it into early access on steam

Nice, i like the look of it even if it's a wip

fishing is important

Everyone knows farm sims are secretly fishing games in disguise. All kidding aside, fishing is very important in the game.

I'm really digging the characters' art, especially Joko, and it's always nice to have another Indonesian game!

Thanks! Wehave several more Indonesian based characters. In total there will be around 50 characters on Coral Island. We're just about done designing them, and more than halfway there with modeling.

Looks great! Let us know when we can wishlist it.

Will do, thank you!

I like how the game looks with the exception of the ingame character models which for a lack of a better word I'd say I emphatically dislike. 2D designs are good.

I really appreciate the comment. The in game character models continue to be a sore point for us to be completely honest. Just doesn't feel like we've nailed it yet.

May i ask what you don't like about them in their current form? Or rather, what do you think we can change that would improve the appeal?

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Looks beautiful, as someone who loves games like this you've definitely got my interest. I will be following your progress :)

grand

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna hear more criticism than praise in this type of thread so make sure you keep your head up and continue onward. It's a good effort!

But my instant critique is on the characters. Specifically their size. I get you are probably trying to make them realistic to their environments, but they are way too small! I think farming Sim a genre where you can play around with the realism of the player characters & NPCs. Make then larger and more unique/colorful. You want the them to stand out.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, I mean this in the nicest way...

But what makes your game different? With newer Harvest Moon games, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory, and more I'm likely missing...There are a lot of contenders in that unique arena (relative to the uniqueness of the genre).

So I'm interested to know how you intend to set yourself apart in a way that would make an interested consumer want to invest time into your game!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Impressive progress, OP! Not gonna' lie, entering the thread I was expecting "this is what I'm thinking, which engine should I use?", haha.

Seriously, looking cool! If you ever want some feedback or anything, hit me up in the DMs!

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
I really like the ideas and the 2D character designs. The 3D models could probably benefit from less realistic proportions, maybe chibi-fy them or something. Chibi 3D character models with your 2D portraits on text boxes could probably work fine and not seem as jarring a disconnect as one might think.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Wow Jeremiah , it looks really good! You'd tell me it's a Stardew Valley sequel I'd believe you.
Grew up with Harvest Moon (snes) and later PS1, now I'm playing SV with my soon to be 6 year old son.

If there is one thing missing in those awesome games, it's couch co-op. At least 2 players...
And my son thinks the only thing missing aside of that is buying a car/pick-up truck. Not something realistic or anything (he likes driving the bus around in Overcooked) but he'd love to drive to town and buy furniture or ... Cows! Or just use it like a moving chest to move stuff around.

Looking forward to playing your game eventually!

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna hear more criticism than praise in this type of thread so make sure you keep your head up and continue onward. It's a good effort!

But my instant critique is on the characters. Specifically their size. I get you are probably trying to make them realistic to their environments, but they are way too small! I think farming Sim a genre where you can play around with the realism of the player characters & NPCs. Make then larger and more unique/colorful. You want the them to stand out.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Yup2, receiving criticism and feedback is actually a big part of why i started the thread. And with regards the to character sizes, i've actually been feeling the same way, so it nices to hear i am not the only one. I did a quick test and increased the sizes by 7.5% and i think it's definitely for the better, and intend to discuss with the team Monday. I'll try to share a picture showing the difference, but good call.

We won't have this for early access, but at present, there are around 10 body shapes/sizes/heights across all NPC's, and the goal is to let the players also choose this later. So we'll have a fair amount of adjusting to do, but worth it if its for the better. The current male and female use the average body shapes.

Hey OP, I mean this in the nicest way...

But what makes your game different? With newer Harvest Moon games, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory, and more I'm likely missing...There are a lot of contenders in that unique arena (relative to the uniqueness of the genre).

So I'm interested to know how you intend to set yourself apart in a way that would make an interested consumer want to invest time into your game!

Hey don't worry about it, i've actually been asked this a few times, and its bound to come up again. I think its a fair question!

From a gameplay point of view, what sets us apart is how we are implementing and incorporating diving. And for everyone that hates how underwater levels slow down movement, fear not as we don't do that! In our game, diving involves clearing the ocean floor of trash in search of beacons (that keep track of coral health), discovering world lore, and finding kelp. Kelp is used to upgrade your seeds and animal produce quality permanently. The deeper you dive, the rarer kelp you'll come across, which impacts the game economy. Furthermore, many aspects tie into one another -- ie, the more trash you've cleared, you might just unlock some legendary fish to catch!

What I hope pulls people in is our characters and world. I am half Indonesian myself, and grew up on Bali, an island that has a great mix of diversity. Unfortunately, there aren't as many games as i'd like where i see characters that look like me or many of the people i grew up with. The setting and world building also draws a bit on south east asian influence, which brings some interesting ruin architecture and world objects.

Impressive progress, OP! Not gonna' lie, entering the thread I was expecting "this is what I'm thinking, which engine should I use?", haha.

Seriously, looking cool! If you ever want some feedback or anything, hit me up in the DMs!

Thanks so much and will do!

I really like the ideas and the 2D character designs. The 3D models could probably benefit from less realistic proportions, maybe chibi-fy them or something. Chibi 3D character models with your 2D portraits on text boxes could probably work fine and not seem as jarring a disconnect as one might think.

Thanks -- certainly looks like the character models is an area we will be exploring again!

If there is one thing missing in those awesome games, it's couch co-op. At least 2 players...

Looking forward to playing your game eventually!

Thank you for the comments!

Oh i am so happy someone else out there wants couch co-op lol! This is something we plan to do!

I had so much fun playing Diablo 3 couch co-op with my daughter. After the early access release, our priorities will pivot to MP, and certainly how and in what manner we implement couch co-op.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Hey don't worry about it, i've actually been asked this a few times, and its bound to come up again. I think its a fair question!

From a gameplay point of view, what sets us apart is how we are implementing and incorporating diving. And for everyone that hates how underwater levels slow down movement, fear not as we don't do that! In our game, diving involves clearing the ocean floor of trash in search of beacons (that keep track of coral health), discovering world lore, and finding kelp. Kelp is used to upgrade your seeds and animal produce quality permanently. The deeper you dive, the rarer kelp you'll come across, which impacts the game economy. Furthermore, many aspects tie into one another -- ie, the more trash you've cleared, you might just unlock some legendary fish to catch!

What I hope pulls people in is our characters and world. I am half Indonesian myself, and grew up on Bali, an island that has a great mix of diversity. Unfortunately, there aren't as many games as i'd like where i see characters that look like me or many of the people i grew up with. The setting and world building also draws a bit on south east asian influence, which brings some interesting ruin architecture and world objects.

Diving? That sounds fascinating and definitely a fun diversion! Looking forward to future development!

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I've put this thread on watch. I find it fascinating seeing the progress of games and the interaction on the forums. Game looks great.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I really appreciate the comment. The in game character models continue to be a sore point for us to be completely honest. Just doesn't feel like we've nailed it yet.

May i ask what you don't like about them in their current form? Or rather, what do you think we can change that would improve the appeal?

I don't know how to put it, specially in English. To me they look like one of those mobile phone apps that turns your photo into a caricature. I'd go for less lifelike proportions and stuff like that but I'm no designer. I just thing that designs closer to those those you see in TemTem (saving the differences, I understand it's not the same manpower) would fit so much better.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to put it, specially in English. To me they look like one of those mobile phone apps that turns your photo into a caricature. I'd go for less lifelike proportions and stuff like that but I'm no designer. I just thing that designs closer to those those you see in TemTem (saving the differences, I understand it's not the same manpower) would fit so much better.

Really appreciate you getting back to me. I now see what you are referring to, especially with the lifelike proportions. It definitely won't be a problem for us to experiment more, so again thanks for your thoughts!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Good luck! :) Planning on learning how to develop a game after the PhD myself. Dreams inspired me to push for gaining knowledge about it in the future.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I know a lot like it Jeremiah but try and stay away from the Chibi look... everyone of these games goes the route of extremely exaggerated head size, so they all look the same. Make yours different, yeah your characters in-game lack a little polish on matching the art, but the core design is super. I think a game to look at is Two Point Hospital as inspiration for character proportion in game. As their designs are whimsical but proportionally more correct than a Chibi style.
fe1249289f96fbae86337fca71e2f789fe53f343_screen3.jpg

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
Are you planning to integrate bug plagues in the farming aspect?

Its something I miss a lot in farming friendly games like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley. Giving the player the option of using chemicals to prevent plagues, different kind of bugs, the option of actually inspecting crops in search of them and of course the possibility of building a pesticide free organic farm with its bennefits and disadvantages.

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
Another thing, and continuing the "idea guy" post I made before. Something to deepen the farming aspect would be crop associations. This is something that happens in nature where different plants that are growing close can benefit eachother. For example, the case of "the three sisters", corn, beans and squash benefit and grow better together.

Same for rotations. Its beneficial to plant A after B, but not C because they compete in nutrients.

All this kind of things could make interesting mechanics in the farming aspect, serve as a tool for learning and differenciate your game from others.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. This is only meant as constructive criticism, but the in-game models for characters look like those Memoji characters from your phone.

But the art and cleanliness of the rest? Crisp, clean, lovely.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For me the things with your models right now besides others feedback like proportions and style that others posters said is that they look like emojis in 3D which I dont find very appealing.
whatsapp-new-emojis.jpg

An image to illustrate what i'm talking about.

Anyway good luck 😀

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck! :) Planning on learning how to develop a game after the PhD myself. Dreams inspired me to push for gaining knowledge about it in the future.

Go for it! Prior to game dev, i had some 3d experience with offline rendering for archviz, but that was it.

There is so much knowledge out there, and also wouldi could recommend several udemy courses that really put me on track. Nothing quite like making a small game to see how everything is put together.

I know a lot like it Jeremiah but try and stay away from the Chibi look... everyone of these games goes the route of extremely exaggerated head size, so they all look the same. Make yours different, yeah your characters in-game lack a little polish on matching the art, but the core design is super. I think a game to look at is Two Point Hospital as inspiration for character proportion in game. As their designs are whimsical but proportionally more correct than a Chibi style.
fe1249289f96fbae86337fca71e2f789fe53f343_screen3.jpg

Thanks for your comments. One of our art pillars is to try and avoid the chibi and anime look... not because we don't like them (am actually a huge fan), we just wanted more variety in the genre. Thanks for the reference!

I will have to share the actual NPC's we have in game as opposed to the character customizer as i feel they are a tad better, for comparison sake.

Another thing, and continuing the "idea guy" post I made before. Something to deepen the farming aspect would be crop associations. This is something that happens in nature where different plants that are growing close can benefit eachother. For example, the case of "the three sisters", corn, beans and squash benefit and grow better together.

Same for rotations. Its beneficial to plant A after B, but not C because they compete in nutrients.

All this kind of things could make interesting mechanics in the farming aspect, serve as a tool for learning and differenciate your game from others.

Thanks for sharing your ideas! I'll be frank with regards to a plague idea — we toyed with it a bit, but will probably make it a selectable option if we decide to implement it, as a lot of people found it really frustrating lol.

Crop associations on the other hand is quite an intriguing idea we'll look into!

For me the things with your models right now besides others feedback like proportions and style that others posters said is that they look like emojis in 3D which I dont find very appealing.
whatsapp-new-emojis.jpg

An image to illustrate what i'm talking about.

Anyway good luck 😀

Haha i do appreciate this reference, I'll be sure to share with the team tomorrow — it helps!

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick update guys!

We finally released the first gameplay snippet of Coral Island:

Also a look at the min and max camera zoom in-game:
200.webp

Updated farm look as well:

wqbcCwi.jpg

And grandjedi can't thank you enough about the comments of size. Like I mentioned previously, we increased all character sizes by 7.5% and it has done wonders. Now time to rework the design language.

Any website or email list to stay updated on the game?

Oh so sorry I missed your question! Yup2, the site is still a work in progress: www.stairwaygames.com -- but we have the mailing list setup :)

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys!

Been 1 month since I last updated this thread, and it feels like forever! I have a few updates to share:

We finally started our character reveals:

BwVXdHM.png

From left to right. Yuri, Noah, Millie and Connor.

Getting close to finalizing the interior lighting and materials:

GbrpQXm.jpg

This is actually what a Starfruit looks like, and also we're almost done with our lighting system:

NVzUQfb.gif

I saved the best for last, meet pig and chicken:

Kxid4zw.jpg
OMfm7a7.jpg

Other than the above updates, I also wanted to share an experience. In the last week or so, IGN SEA actually wrote about the game -- and wow, I continue to be floored at what it did to drive traffic to the first gameplay snippet I posted earlier this month, and also to our site. The increase in traffic was well over 1000%. I guess I didn't really expect the impact to be that big, but i guessed wrong.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, criticisms, or feedback, I would really appreciate it!

Nov 2, 2017
If it's not in the plan, I highly recommend character portraits. I really like the character art, but I'm not in love with how they look in game. Character portraits during dialogue helps to bridge that gap.

But either way, good luck and I look forward to seeing more. More farming games is always a plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.