• 0-3: not so bad

Votes: 214 13.6%
  • 4-6: middling situation

Votes: 224 14.2%
  • 7-9: it's bad.

Votes: 314 19.9%
  • 10 (or even more): HELP!

Votes: 269 17.1%
  • My backlog cannot be measured with a number. It's infinity and beyond.

Votes: 556 35.3%

• Total voters

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Why the fuck do we live in an age where everybody has two jobs and one of them is to play every good game that gets released!? What happened to my childhood when all I played was the most interesting game in the store, TO ME! But we all live in this time and we need to do what we need to do.

I own 182 PlayStation 4 titles digitally, and I have played a fraction of them. It's not my own fault, it's the times we live in.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Off the top of my head...(only have a PS2 and Wii, as well as some GC and PS1 games)

Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
MGS3: Snake Eater
Sly Cooper 2 and 3
Splinter Cell
Xenoblade
Okami
Rayman Origins
DKC Returns
Zack and Wiki
Sin and Punishment
Cursed Mountain
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime: Echoes
Resident Evil 4
Alundra
Breath of Fire III
Arc the Lad Collection (will probably just sell this one)

Oh, and Fire Emblem: Awakening for 3DS. And I want to get Bravely Default. And I've got Earthbound and Secret of Mana that I've never finished on the SNES Classic.

...and some other things I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
20+ PS4 games and a dozen or so 3DS/Switch games.

I don't even care anymore, most nights I'd rather watch television than game anyway. I definitely like buying games more than playing them.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Worse than normal atm due to being stocked up from winter sales. Ask me again in 3 or 4 months and the number will be much lower.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sometimes I buy something when it hits a certain price point or it's on sale, and intend to get to it eventually. That's normal right?

Then years go by and the game is still in shrinkwrap and the console is now boxed up. I'll get around to it eventually though. I think.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I did modelling situation. I have just under 70 games in my backlog but best 64 last year so I go through games. Just need to show down buying a little

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Probably a 9. Only reason is it's not a 10 is because of a new year's resolution to only pick up games I'm very interested in playing immediately. I could probably sustain myself for a good 3-5 years on my backlog (though that might be counting emulation as well).

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finishing games is overrated. Play till you hit the wall and if watch the ending on YouTube if you care. I have over 100 unfinished games but I got my money's worth.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
My digital backlog is uncountable, my physical backlog is much more manageable at less than 10 titles. But that is kind of sad considering I've sold most of my physical discs to go purely digital lol. I've recently gone on a retro kick so it isn't helping my backlog any.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not even sure how far back my backlog is anymore. I still need to beat Xenogears so I can post in that other thread.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
My backlog is in the state where I don't think it's possible I can finish most of the things in it before I cease to be living. Yet I keep buying...

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 too much, but careless.

More than 300 games and around 100 games I want to revisit.
But I don't mind just chilling around buying new games and such just for collecting them.

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
I keep buyimg , and not finishing anything I buy, because I play WoW. It's my own fault, but it was beyond out of control back in 2008, and its gotten worse.

I have no self control.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
"How many backlogs are you on?"

"I dunno dude, like 5 ot 6?"

"You are like a little baby, watch this!"

No seriously, it's bad, send help.

Apr 24, 2018
The length of AAA games has gotten so long, that these days I pick up 3-4 games for every 1 that I actually beat. I feel like last year was a year where unfortunately everything that I really wanted to play came out during the second half of the year, and most of the stuff I bought during the first half just got instantly relegated to the backlog instantly once September hit. I knew this was coming, too, and yet I still kept buying games during the first half of the year.

I'm trying a new strategy where I am going to subdivide my backlog into a smaller list of "manageable" titles that I fully intend to play through at some point no matter what (unless I absolutely hate the game). I'm mapping out my future game time well in advance. I've pre-ordered some stuff for Q1 already, but beyond that, I'm planning to get some of the marquee 2019 releases after they substantially drop in price (DMC V, REmake 2), and I've hopefully knocked out some of the games from the list below.

DQ11/Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom/Valkyria Chronicles IV/Yakuza Kiwami II/Shadow of the Tomb Raider will most likely be the next five games that I beat in some order. After that, I'll probably sit down and brain storm five more games that I want to play through and hopefully follow that through. However, with the games I've picked, and with the limited amount of time I play these days, this may carry me through a substantial portion of the year...

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
0. I don't have a backlog. I don't care about going back and finishing old games.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
Kind of a 10 and a 2. When I got my first job like 4 years ago I kind of felt high with the power of money and bought a shit load of games on G2A (yeah I know, again, dumb 4 years ago me). About a year ago I came to terms with that I don't give a shit about the majority of the games I bought and wasted money so I don't really consider them part of my backlog. Now I pretty much just strictly buy games that I want to play at the actual moment, with a few exceptions (mostly VR games). There's still a few I need to get around to though.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I've got about 8 games in my backlog, so I voted 4-6. Will probably be able to clear most of it throughout this year as there's fewer games I want. It'll have to wait though, RE2 will come first.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If we're judging based on how many games I've bought that I've given so little time to for any reason whatsoever, then I'm a solid 10. Like, this is where the purchase equals an absolute promise to play through the entirety of the game.

If we're judging based on how many games I actually kind of want to go back and give a longer amount of time, maybe a 4 or 5. This is where I maybe played the game a little bit but then put it down to play something else and haven't gone back despite wanting to continue, or I bought the game on a really strong pretense but didn't actually play it any -yet - i.e., this is my subjective desire to actually give the games I haven't beaten a longer time in the spotlight.

There are a lot of games I bought based on positive word of mouth that just ended up not being worth my own personal investment. They are not bad games at all, I just didn't find them to be as appealing to me as the argument that was laid out that led to my purchase decision. I am okay with this being a thing and I still respect a lot of these games, but many I simply do not need to spend any more time on them.

Voted for the 4-6. My actual motivation counts more than my actual purchase count, I think. I try to have fun with my time with games, not force myself to keep going in games that have already run their entire appeal for me -- which includes many unfinished games.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

It's pretty sizable.

Yep, pretty much this...

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
When I think about how many games I own and haven't played, 10. I probably have about 120 games on steam I have never installed.

But I don't actually care about playing them anymore, so it feels like 0.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see there is a transcended numbers option. It's a state of mind now, a concept rather than an actual number.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Im at the level of backlog that i get such anxiety over picking and playing a game that i just there and play nothing...

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help that I spent like 50-60 hours in Destiny 2 last year.

Those people who just casually say "oh yeah I have 1800 hours on Destiny 2" worry me. Do you not eat, shower, sleep? How the fuck you endure that shit?

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend this to everyone, go through the hundreds of games you own, be REAL about this... you're not going to finish everything, stop buying games for the sake of just playing everything, and really just make a list of the games YOU REALLY WANT TO PLAY BEFORE YOU DIE, like for real. It's what I did, I ended up with like 50 games I REALLY REALLY wanted to play and forgot about the rest, and I focused on playing those, last year I finished like 20 games of that list, felt good.

Or just stop fucking worrying and play whatever you feel like playing lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My backlog is an inescapable, ever-growing hell beast determined to drag me to the depths of the abyss.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
It doesn't help that I spent like 50-60 hours in Destiny 2 last year.

Those people who just casually say "oh yeah I have 1800 hours on Destiny 2" worry me. Do you not eat, shower, sleep? How the fuck you endure that shit?

I spent about 600 hours over 3 years of Destiny 1 and that felt like more than enough Destiny for me, couldn't imagine 1800 hours in a year. That's insane.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I was doing pretty well and keeping purchases in check. Got a handful of Black Friday things.

But then the really long AC: Odyssey and Red Dead came along.

And then the Game Pass avalanche. Hellblade and Below and Ashen and Ori and...

The struggle Is real.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
Oh man...I still need play some games from ps3 era and a lot from steam too. Maybe 11 switch games and oh my dog...Im drowning in digital and physical games about ps4 era. The real problem here is when i really like or love a game, sometimes i just need play the same game more than once... for example: Dragon Age origins i played 6 times until the final.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
My backlog spans generations and its growth sees no end in sight. Send help.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck do we live in an age where everybody has two jobs and one of them is to play every good game that gets released!? What happened to my childhood when all I played was the most interesting game in the store, TO ME! But we all live in this time and we need to do what we need to do.

I own 182 PlayStation 4 titles digitally, and I have played a fraction of them. It's not my own fault, it's the times we live in.
Eh, I'm pretty sure it's your fault. ;)

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I have so many I want want to play that I'm planning on going as long as possible this year without buying a single game.

The list of games I already own and want to play this year is 30.

Some ive played a lot of and just want to play more (Dead Cells, Diablo 3, Smash Bros.), gamesw I as excited about but got buried among others (Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Hyrule Warriors), or just stuff I've had on my "to play" lost for years now (Doom 2016, FF15, Witcher 3 DLC, Obduction, etc).

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
My backlog stretchas from 8 bit era to modern days but I think it's doable in a decade or two.
The backlog thread here on era is pretty fun.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not bad at all, I just want to play the DLC of The Evil Within, Dirt 4 and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on 3DS.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at at least 200 on Steam (thanks humble) and probably 20 on PS4 not counting ps+ titles. I started only buying games when I'd play them straight away a while ago but yeah...

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
In my case, I don't think the amount of games is the problem but which games are in it backlog.
Currently I'm on to beating The World Ends With You Final Remix. Games coming up are Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Octopath Traveler of which I know they are taking a fair amount of time to beat. In addition to that there is also Bayonetta 2 and Golf Story in my backlog. That is the Nintendo Switch situation.
On PlayStation 4 the games waiting for me are Divinity Original Sin (only playing multiplayer and are we are halfway through), Danganronpa 1 and 2, Yakuza 2 and Styx 2 (another multiplayer game).

To sum things up: I don't think I'm screwed, I'm pretty sure I can do it. That's why I decided on voting 4 to 6. Furthermore, I am going to beat my backlog before I buy new games. Will decrease the prices and I can start focussing on one game only.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I thought mine was bad until I read this thread. I have:
Bloodborne
Red Dead Redemption 2
Dark Souls 3
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn

So maybe a 2 for me.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

My backlog goes into PS1 era for games I actually have. SNES if I include games I don't own but plan to play at some point. Stopped buying games aside from sales essentially. Only about 2-4 titles a year get the insta buy these days and almost are never RPGs anymore. Decided to not buy another new RPG til I beat Persona 5 lol.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, not that bad. As of 2019, I have a two game backlog for this generation and an eight game backlog for last generation.

Current Generation (2)
- Detroit: Become Human
- Red Dead Redemption 2

Last Generation (8)
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Batman: Arkham City
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- Dante's Inferno
- Heavenly Sword
- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil Revelations
- The Darkness

I'm currently playing RE Revelations and should have it finished within two days. After that, I may jump into RE 5 but not 100% sure. If not, I'll use a 7 day free trial on PS Now so I can play Heavenly Sword and The Darkness. After this, I would won't play anything from my remaining backlog until June at the earliest but considering the fact that I had over 22 games going into 2018, I have been able to cut it down to about half despite adding the two above games from 2018 as well as not finishing a few games until the last six weeks.

Scale wise, I would say that my backlog is a 5/10. It's not horrible or bad whatsoever especially since 8 out of the 10 games in my backlog are linear. The two open world games will take me a while to go through but overall, im a lot happier than I was two years ago when my backlog was around 30 games which didn't even count last generation.

Perhaps the bigger challenge is not adding any 2019 games to my current backlog which will be a challenge in of itself as starting with NSMBUD for Switch and ending with Rage 2 in May, I have a total of 13 games on my list with only 2 of them being 50/50. The other 11 are guaranteed day one pickups. Of course, this is overall nothing compared to my "future log" which are announced games that don't have a release date. This list itself is about 35 games. All things considered, im confident that I'll end 2019 with no backlog whatsoever.