SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am considering taking my first venture into VR with the Oculus Quest.

But I am curious; how does VR truly feel? Do you ACTUALLY feel like you're there? Is it just a 3D mask and nothing more?

Share with me your VR experiences!

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
VR is an incredible experience but it's uncomfortable. You will sweat a ton and it's even less comfortable with glasses.

That said, even the ugliest VR games absolutely make you feel like you're there. There's nothing like it. I had to sell my rift to pay bills, but I'd like to get back into it someday.

If you dive in, play rec room first and thank me later. Crazy to think the best VR experience by a mile is absolutely free.

I'd say the quest is a good starting point. No wires sounds great.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
For me it was one of the most exciting gaming experiences I've had since Mario 64. Yes, it feels like you are "in" the game world, the environment completely surrounds you. You can turn your head and see what's behind, lean to one side to peak around a corner, etc.

I don't know what kind of games you're into but I can't speak highly enough of Resident Evil VII in VR, truly a system seller for me. I'm not sure if the game is exclusive to PSVR or not but I'm sure the Quest has games of similar experiences you can play.

Go for it and giggle like a kid when you first "step in". I know I did.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
VR is incredible experience especially with room tracking. With the Vive i felt like i was truly there in the game world. However this technology is definitely in the early adopters stage so there not a lot of fleshed out experiences right now and the headsets are very uncomfortable for long play sessions. I'm personally waiting until the next generation of headsets come out that wirless and more comfortable to wear and hopefully will have more AAA experiences.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

But I am curious; how does VR truly feel? Do you ACTUALLY feel like you're there? Is it just a 3D mask and nothing more?

Share with me your VR experiences!

Yes. And beyond that, it's impossible to describe. VR is something you have to try yourself.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

It is an effect beyond 3D you've likely seen in movies or on some games with supported screens. Typically the feeling of presence rests somewhere between playing a typical pancake game and real perception, but skewed more towards reality. There are small instances where I have a lapse in cognition and attempt to do something in game that is prohibited by the reality of the room I'm playing in. Namely, jumping in the air with my arms stretched up to grab a ledge and hitting the ceiling. Silly me. I'm not actually scaling a building...

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The first game I played was some rock climbing game with dinosaurs. It felt like I was there. So did Until Dawn.

The other was a pack in minigame collection, so not as much.

It's too expensive for me to buy or really want and justify, especially given that I think PSVR bundles were like $700 Canadian at release. And there's just not enough games. But I did have some enjoyment with it.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
First time I tried it a few months ago, I walked away without a doubt in my mind that this was the future of gaming. It could take another 10-20 years, but VR is only going to get better and better.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS is a game-changer

Same with Alien Isolation via MotherVR.

Those two have been the "killer apps" for VR. They're mind-blowing.

The downsides to VR are the low FoV (it makes it more like looking through a pair of binoculars than actual viewscreen) and the nauseathat many experience.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like losing virginity, its just as amazing.
My firsr vr experience was re 7 and that was insane truly felt like i was in a horror movie myself.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a jaded late-30's gamer, and my first VR experience a few weeks ago made me break out in a grin I couldn't get rid of. It really is something new; and it's going to be at least a part of the permanent media landscape moving forward.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Felt like Mario 64. A true next level experience. My first real game was Super Hot, and that was unbelievable. Then I played Astro Bot and realized the potential for all sorts of games.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
It's amazing. I had to sell mine though since I just could not get used to motion sickness and couldn't play for more than a few half hours at a time.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever wanted to know how it would have been for Chris Redfield/Jill Valentine all those years ago exploring the Spencer mansion? Like literally opening doors, Peeking around corners, Slowly going upstairs?

Then play RE7 in VR, Exploring the Baker estate and you'll feel inside that world doing all those things yourself.

Amazing 25 years ago opening doors was a loading screen, Now here we are inside the game opening doors ourselves.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It really does make you feel like you are there.

But right now we're at the black & white TV/Atari 2600 stage of the technology. It's only just beginning to become a public/mainstream technology, we've got many years of refinement ahead of us.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
It does feel like you are somewhere else. But, it feels like you are somewhere else while looking at everything through a pair of goggles, rather than with your own eyes. If that makes sense.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
It's great. I have a Rift and glasses and I think it's pretty amazing even with my 1060 and not room scale set up. I really want to dive all the way in though. I want to get a better card and the Valve Index with those controllers and get a full room scale thing going (the hardest part for me).

There are plenty of good, free VR (though I dunno how many will be available via the Quest). Oculus has some great games on the store though and I can see the lack of wires being a huge plus because it's so much easier to get a good location going as it's not tied to your PC.

My main downsides with VR are that I get motion sick with the movement where you move a stick and move in VR (I'm fine with snapping or teleporting, also ok with things like Echo Arena and Dirt Raly). I did worry about glasses in VR but using the rift with them has lead to no issues (even if I did buy some watch protectors to stick on the lenses, just in case).

Beat Saber is great, though I feel a lot of that comes from the custom songs. I definitely wouldn't have played as much with what it comes with (though that League of Legends song they added is a banger).

Accounting+ is fun and funny if you like Rick and Morty.

I expect you to die is a fun collection of escape room like puzzles.

Rez Infinite is fantastic.

Superhot VR is exactly what Superhot in VR should be. If you played and liked normal Superhot you'll love this. It's the most innovative VR shooter I've played in years.

Rec Room is also great. Full of kids though but the game modes and junk they have are fun AND it's free.

Robo Recall is a super fun shooting gallery like thing with a ton of style and makes you feel like a fucking action hero badass pulling off trick shots and bouncing guns of robots and shit.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At the start, yes to an extent you feel like you're "really there". However, as you use it more and more the immersion will start to wear off to an extent, as your body gets used to it. Eventually it kinda becomes it's own thing in terms of feeling.

I still love mine and play Pavlov everyday. Despite the immersion drop off you can still do crazy shit you couldn't in flat like shooting 2 dudes on opposite sides of you at the same time.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to explain

Other than to say that Beat Saber is one of my favorite game experiences I've ever had because it's so different than anything I've ever done, yet so remarkably simple in concept

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Also, VR is 100% a "you have to try it" thing. Like, no matter what people say, or how they feel with it, you just have to try it yourself to truly know.

Even if you watch a bunch of videos of people playing in VR it really is something else to put on the goggles and look ad your hands but they aren't your hands and they are also holding guns and there is a crazy monster/robot/person running at you and you just point and shoot.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS is a game-changer

Same with Alien Isolation via MotherVR.

Those two have been the "killer apps" for VR. They're mind-blowing.

The downsides to VR are the low FoV (it makes it more like looking through a pair of binoculars than actual viewscreen) and the nauseathat many experience.
Why the fuck would anyone play AI with VR, I don't want a heart attack.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Think of it like 'surround-sound 3D'. Every direction you look you're seeing an image with depth.

Like a really good pair of headphones but for your eyes.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Watching videos on Youtube won't give you a good idea of whats it's like. It's something you really need to try in person to get the true experience.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Good VR feels like you're really there. Bad VR constantly reminds you that you're not.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
no explanation can do it justice. You just need to try it, its a whole new way to interact and play media like never before.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interacting with objects in VR is so much more natural than TV based motion control games on Wii or PS Move. It's quite a new way to experience games, and the best VR games do things you simply cannot do with TV gaming.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

But I am curious; how does VR truly feel? Do you ACTUALLY feel like you're there?

Yes, but even saying so, doesn't really convey the experience. I've never failed to get people absolutely shocked by it and loving it. I'm taking people like my SO's mother who's a 70 year old woman that has never touched a game in her life; VR experiences are really fucking powerful.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it feels like video game graphics overlaid on real 3D space, with a dark circular haze at the peripherals of your vision.

But motion sickness is a thing, I don't know what will fix that.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Nothing can beat it if you have a Vive or Oculus with the extra cameras for full roomscale. Being surrounded in a perfectly scaled 3d world that tracks your every movement 1:1 is super immersive.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it feels like you're there.

Every time I boot up a racing game in VR, I get a big grin across my face. Every time.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
How is playing with just a traditional controller? Keyboard and mouse is probably pretty hard right?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
When you're playing the right games and you get into the flow, it's as close to being there as you can possibly get with today's tech. Go lose yourself in something like Superhot VR if you want a hell of a formative experience.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
The feeling of immersion is unrivaled with VR, it's pretty incredible and mind-blowing the first time.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
For me it felt like putting my head under water in a swimming pool. A different sensation washes over you and you have to adjust your eye focus, sense of place and breathing. It feels like you're somewhere else.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got my PSVR about a year ago. At the time, it felt like the most revolutionary video game "thing" since Mario 64. One year later, I still feel that way. I absolutely love VR, and it truly feels like the future of video gaming. Despite the "innacuracies" with psvr and their move controllers, it's the most fun I've had with gaming in a loooooooong time. I've played with oculous, with the full hands and finger controllers, but i like PSVR better. I'm even running a launch PS4, not even a pro, and it still blows my mind. I couldn't recommend it enough, OP.

I don't know much about the version you are looking in to, but if it supports motion controllers and PC gaming, then you are set my friend.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, it makes you feel like you're there, if the software and hardware allow for it. The Quest doesn't have the computing power of a PC, which can potentially diminish the software's ability to offer convincing presence. But that's not to say you won't still get the feeling of presence.

And just as a side note about presence, it doesn't need to necessarily look realistic. It's akin to that film phrase "the suspension of disbelief" where it simply has to be convincing unto itself.

Last edited:

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Playing things like Elite Dangerous is about perfect since it feels like you're truly sitting in the spaceship and flying around space while properly being there (and asteroid belts are impressive, as well as the space stations you go to, etc..). Playing with the stick and thruster improve the experience since now your movement matches the in game arms. All the UI is built very smartly too.

Things like Quill are an impressive experience as well since it's not everyday you get to paint in 3D space. And other games like Robo Recall are incredible quality wise, and really feel like you're there. Same with Beat Saber, which is just a rhythm game but feels almost like you're in some Tron-like virtual training room. Pretty cool!

But like many people said, some games still can give you motion sickness, and no headset is still light enough to not make you feel at least slightly uncomfortable after a while.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
And just as a side not about presence, it doesn't need to necessarily look realistic. It's akin to that film phrase "the suspension of disbelief" where it simply has to be convincing unto itself.

Yeah, realism and immersion are entirely different axes in VR. You could make an empty white room with a sphere at the center, or a low poly model like SuperHOT, and if nothing else breaks the illusion, your mind still thinks it's perfectly real.