Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man: Far From Home is the sequel to Homecoming.

It takes place AFTER the events of Avengers 4 and conclusion of the entire first 3 phases of the MCU, and also directly deals with the fallout from that. Yet it is arriving in theaters just 8 weeks after Avengers 4 (May 3/July 5), which will still be playing on quite a few screens, and also in which Spider-Man is still dead at the onset of the movie.

As far as I know Sony has full control for the standalone Spider-Man marketing campaigns, but I would imagine they have some kind of collaboration with Marvel to discuss promotion agreements. Still, I highly doubt they are going to wait until a few weeks after A4 to release the first trailer for the film.

Is this just going to be the weirdest situation ever? How do you think it's gonna be handled? Just act like Spidey is alive and well and totally ignore Avengers?

Oct 25, 2017
iu

Doesn't seem hard.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll probably do some shots of Aunt May crying about her "dead" nephew with some random kid looking up at the sky wearing an amateur spidey outfit and then the Far From Home logo pops up. Then the Internet will tell us how deep and insightful the trailer was.

Dec 12, 2017
It's not that hard. You approach the ad campaign from the perspective of "where is Peter?" leading up to the reveal of the reveal trailer immediately after A4.

You could also focus the trailers on Mysterio and what he will do in Spidey's absence.

I'm sure they have a plan.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Trailers can make it look like it takes place before Avengers Infinity Way if they wish.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that the next Spider-Man takes place after A4? I recall the Russo's saying that the movies after A4 could potentially take place even before IW.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that the next Spider-Man takes place after A4? I recall the Russo's saying that the movies after A4 could potentially take place even before IW.

Yes

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-Kevin-Feige-Avengers-Infinity-War-Avengers-4

"The way Civil War and the fact that he went to Leipzig Airport and then has to go back to school, informed Homecoming, the two Avengers films that precede [the sequel] will greatly inform, probably even more so, the next movie."

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Sony is left unsupervised by Marvel then expect a long trailer that spoils most story beats of the film and a big spoiler for Avengers 4, and to be released before even A4 trailer hits.

If Marvel steps in, first trailer will probably be in some sort of nebulous time, is it before Avengers 4? After? Flashbacks?
Final trailer and proper marketing campaing will begin after Avengers 4 WW and US opening weekend.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And as others have said, Sony isnt going to hold their first trailer until after A4 just out of courtesy to Marvel. The standard release for teaser trailers for a blockbuster film is anywhere from 5 months out to a full year. Not 5 weeks.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think everyone knows they didn't really kill off those characters for good, not just people familiar with the comics.

And two months is plenty of time for most fans to see Avengers 4. Those movies make crazy bank and make most of it over the first month or so. People who don't got to the theater to see them don't give enough of a shit to care about any incosistency in trailers and what not.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I should mention Feige specifically said the A4 marketing wont feature any of the 'dead' heroes

https://screenrant.com/avengers-4-trailers-dead-heroes-characters/

Only the survivors will be in the trailers.

No, I mean the movie itself. They don't need any trailer for the next Spider-Man film, maybe just a teaser with logo but that's it. It sells itself. People want to know what happened and are watching A4 of course and that alone will bring them to watch the next Spider-Man too.

They don't need anything else than a logo trailer. We don't have the 80s or 90s anymore, everyone knows this movie is coming and everyone who wants to see it will see it, a real trailer does nothing here.

A normal "this movie exist and comes at that date" trailer together with posters at theaters and playtime on cinemas websites are more than enough.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Make the trailer just a shot of Aunt May crying for a full two minutes.

And then...

SPIDER-MAN FAR FROM HOME

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the marketing for Captain MArvel, Avengers 4 and Spidey will be like.

Captain Marvel and A4 shouldnt be difficult because Marvel handles both those internally. My confusion regarding Spidey is that Marvel cant really stop Sony from marketing it however they want, and given the way its intricately tied to A4 thats supremely bizarre

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the marketing for Captain MArvel, Avengers 4 and Spidey will be like.
Cap should be easy, just gotta make sure people understand it's in the past
Avengers could be a bit tough but they could just show first arc stuff and some out of context stuff from later, they did that for IW mostly (Tony holding Spidey after he's gone)

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I mean the movie itself. They don't need any trailer for the next Spider-Man film, maybe just a teaser with logo but that's it. It sells itself. People want to know what happened and are watching A4 of course and that alone will bring them to watch the next Spider-Man too.

They don't need anything else than a logo trailer. We don't have the 80s or 90s anymore, everyone knows this movie is coming and everyone who wants to see it will see it, a real trailer does nothing here.

Normal "this movie exist and comes at that date" together with posters at theaters and playtime on cinemas is more than enough.

Thats not how this works though. A massive company like Sony is not going to rely on an entirely different company to sell their product. Their investors wouldnt allow it. They are obligated to actively promote and campaign their investments.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel and A4 shouldnt be difficult because Marvel handles both those internally. My confusion regarding Spidey is that Marvel cant really stop Sony from marketing it however they want, and given the way its intricately tied to A4 thats supremely bizarre

I mean with the trailers and stuff. Will Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 have trailers the same time? Captain Marvel is in Avengers 4 and is the "sequel" to Captain Marvel, wouldn't a Avengers 4 trailer reveal stuff that happened to Carol before Captain Marvel is even out?

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
With a name like Far From Home, maybe the Infinity Gauntlet didn't destroy half of the galaxy but put them in a different universe depending on the individual? Far From Home = Spiderverse movie ? (Wishful thinking)

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man, Far From Home

Maybe he is actually dead and this film is a flashback!

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean with the trailers and stuff. Will Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 have trailers the same time? Captain Marvel is in Avengers 4 and is the "sequel" to Captain Marvel, wouldn't a Avengers 4 trailer reveal stuff that happened to Carol?

Potentially but I imagine she won't come in until partway through the film. I'm sure they can be crafty enough to make it work without giving much away.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Thats not how this works though. A massive company like Sony is not going to rely on an entirely different company to sell their product. Their investors wouldnt allow it. They are obligated to actively promote and campaign their investments.

Yeahy they will do something, I also think this, I just say they technically doesn't need to.

I'm sure they will find plenty of ways to create mysterious trailers with that you want to see it even more than with a normal one. The actually could do a lot of cool shit, if they want to.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Damn, all this talk about Sony has me worried. They're going to spoil shit and it's going to be a scandal. Maximum fuckery.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Avengers 4 trailer should just be people sobbing for 2 minutes and then an abrupt cut to the logo

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, all this talk about Sony has me worried. They're going to spoil shit and it's going to be a scandal. Maximum fuckery.

Yeah I mean maybe I'm being cynical but given Sony's history I just really think they do not give a fuck about making a trailer that doesnt give away parts of their OWN movie, let alone another company's film. There is no reason to believe they will delicately dance around A4 events

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, this is why it was stupid of the Russos to do what they did in the first place. These characters literally cannot be dead permanently because it's an idiotic business move to do so. Those characters are so obviously coming back to life there's no point in even pretending they're gone.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knows Spider-Man comes back so they should just advertise the movie as normal. There's nothing to really spoil, just keep from the trailer any shots where Peter talks about the events of Avengers 4. They don't need to act all coy.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OF COURSE SONY IS NOT GOING TO SPOIL A4 IN THEIR TRAILER FOR SPIDER-MAN!

What are you lot smoking?

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is why it was stupid of the Russos to do what they did in the first place. These characters literally cannot be dead permanently because it's an idiotic business move to do so. Those characters are so obviously coming back to life there's no point in even pretending they're gone.

It was stupid by the Russos because Sony might be dicks about Spidey 2? lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OF COURSE SONY IS NOT GOING TO SPOIL A4 IN THEIR TRAILER FOR SPIDER-MAN!

What are you lot smoking?

I mean they arent gonna just include the final scene of A4 in the trailer but given how loosely people use the term spoiler and how phobic many are of knowing anything at all about a film its pretty much unavoidable that it will give away something

More than spoilers though I guess my thread was less about 'Far From Home trailer will spoil A4' and just about the general awkwardness of marketing a Spidey movie alongside another movie where he is dead (even if people know hes coming back)

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
And as others have said, Sony isnt going to hold their first trailer until after A4 just out of courtesy to Marvel. The standard release for teaser trailers for a blockbuster film is anywhere from 5 months out to a full year. Not 5 weeks.

Doubt they hold the trailer too long, but I'll believe they intentionally cut it in such a way as to not spoil anything from A4, which would just be bad form. They've got a chance to be kinda experimental in their approach to marketing the film tbh.

And while I know on paper "Sony gets to decide how the movie's marketed", they're technically supposed to be making most of the creative decisions for these movies anyways; and yet, we all know it's really Marvel Studios pulling the weight in that regard. Wouldn't be too surprised if Sony just said "eh, just slap our name on everything and pass us the bag", and just let Feige and co. be in charge of the trailer too. They don't have anything to lose from it; it actually creates less work for Sony.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was stupid by the Russos because Sony might be dicks about Spidey 2? lol.

No, it's stupid to play the "OH NO THEY'RE DEAD" card on characters who everyone knows without a shadow of a doubt will be coming back to life.

Nobodies like Scarlet Witch or Vision? Sure. People who clearly want to move on and do other things like Loki? Why not?

You don't kill off Black Panther and freaking Spider-Man and expect people to think they're gonna stay dead. "Spider-Man comes back to life" isn't a spoiler, y'know? The mechanics on how it happens, sure, but not the resurrection itself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I should have made my point more clear.

I'm saying it will be weird as hell to go to a theater in April, see a A4 trailer with Tony mourning Peter's death, then 30 seconds later see Peter swing around in the Far From Home trailer.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's stupid to play the "OH NO THEY'RE DEAD" card on characters who everyone knows without a shadow of a doubt will be coming back to life.

Nobodies like Scarlet Witch or Vision? Sure. People who clearly want to move on and do other things like Loki? Why not?

You don't kill off Black Panther and freaking Spider-Man and expect people to think they're gonna stay dead. "Spider-Man comes back to life" isn't a spoiler.

They are dead.

Until they are not.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Everything will be Mysterio.

Only the last shot of the trailer will feature Spider-Man. He'll be wearing the black suit.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I can already see it. Two months before A4 releases the spider-man trailer drops. It opens with Holland crying in Aunt May's arms, "I can't do it" he says, "I can't handle all this responsibility now that Tony, Cap, Hulk, Widow and Hawkeye are all dead!"

Oct 27, 2017
All of the trailers for The Avengers 4 will likely feature Spider-Man quite prominently (showing his sacrifice) then Avengers 4 will release and he will return in that (and which will be seen by millions of people) then a couple of weeks after that another trailer will show Peter Parker dealing with the events of A4 and also setting up the premise of his film.

That's what I think will happen. Obviously before A4 comes out they cant be showing trailers of Spidey swinging around New York.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Who said Peter will be Spiderman in that movie?

Time for Miles Morales to make his debut. Or second debut.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who said Peter will be Spiderman in that movie?

Time for Miles Morales to make his debut. Or second debut.

They're not doing Miles yet. He'd be like seven years old.

Wrong
Lot of people and kids are shook and don't think they'll come back

Well, I can't account for kids being naive, but anyone who's paying attention to the movies knows there's a Spider-Man sequel being made right now and a Black Panther sequel in early pre-production.