• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
how screwed am I?

Here's more details: May 19th, was partying on friend's b-day and got drunk and high because it's legal (California) and ate a particularly potent pot brownie that put me on my ass for almost an entire day. Fast forward a few weeks, I decided to apply to this insurance position that was better than my current one, didn't think they would call me back so soon, but the company is expanding and they need new blood. So I've interviewed with them throughout the course of two weeks and I got offer the job, signed form and all. I just submitted my letter of resignation with my current job squaring that away and have just taken the urine sample when it occurred to me that THC might still be a factor and it's very possible that it will show up on the drug test.

Would it be possible that that's something that this company isn't testing for or that I'd get extremely lucky and it doesn't show? Or, did I just quit my current job and squander an opportunity for being a dumbass?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
First off, why would you ever give your two week notice to your current job before you were fully hired into this new job?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'll be fine, OP.

If its legal would the company actually care?

The use and possession of weed is still illegal virtually everywhere in the United States under federal law, regardless of state decriminalization.

And in any case, employers are free to discriminate on any basis that's not a protected category (e.g., race).

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Hopefully you drank a bunch of cranberry juice in the time before your test.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
if it was a one time only and you do not use cannabis otherwise, you should be ok with an urine test as all traces should be gone in less than a week.
if you smoke everyday, your bodyfat is full of it and an urine test would still turn positive after 50 days or more.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
You should be fine, it won't show up in your urine after this long. Especially if it was a one time thing.

But buy yourself a test just to see if you don't want to wait.

May 21, 2019
My brother smokes everyday and has smoked the morning of the drug tests (as stupid as this sounds), for the past few he has had to take. Although in his case he drank a bunch of water the night before and morning of because he is an everyday smoker. You are not an everyday smoker and I doubt it stayed with you more than a week.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you should be fine. You don't consume marijuana regularly and after 30 days the THC should be near nonexistent in your system. It's been 38 so...

In which countries is a drug test mandatory for job applications?

The US. Once you have been offered a position, you have to get a drug test for a number of positions.

If its legal would the company actually care?

Sometimes, yes. Companies are still weirdly uncomfortable about the use of marijuana.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I think you're safe. However, Dollar Tree should have these $1 piss tests that are apparently pretty accurate, if there's one near you.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My brother smokes everyday and has smoked the morning of the drug tests (as stupid as this sounds), for the past few he has had to take. Although in his case he drank a bunch of water the night before and morning of because he is an everyday smoker. You are not an everyday smoker and I doubt it stayed with you more than a week.

This is not good advice. Dilution usually equals a fail.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
You are fine. One time use like that only lasts a few days if it is a pee test. A follicle (hair) test would be a different story though.

OP
OP
The Watcher

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
First off, why would you ever give your two week notice to your current job before you were fully hired into this new job?
This company practically assured me the job, setting dates for my first day, training, all that and whatnot. My initial goal was to try to work both, but they let me know that that wouldn't be possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Never give your two weeks until you've signed the papers for your new job, cleared all the checks and have a start date.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So long as it's not a hair test you're fine.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
What do you mean? I don't see anything wrong with what OP did.

Edit: Nvm. I guess a recruiter can give you advice on when they think the best time to put your notice in.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
This company practically assured me the job, setting dates for my first day, training, all that and whatnot. My initial goal was to try to work both, but they let me know that that wouldn't be possible.
Practically assured and actually hired are two different things. I would just let be this a lesson to you going-forward to never give your two weeks until the entire process has been completed from start to finish. You'd much rather give less than a 2-week notice to your old job than to prematurely give your notice and then find out you didn't get the other job for whatever reason.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're fine. Just be extra careful and make sure the test isn't your first piss of the day.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
I hav a drug test in like 2 weeks. I bought like 10 THC tests from amazon for 10 bucks and you can also buy detox drinks that flush your system from smoke shops!

Oct 25, 2017

So you're saying your brother is some kind of mutant.