• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I know how the internet feels about GameStop, I heard the "GameStop will be going out of business soon!" talk, etc

I applied a few months ago to be an assistant manager at GameStop and I got a call offering me an interview so I took it because I feel it doesn't hurt to do the interview, what do you all think? Is it worth it? I am a supervisor at my job right now and work 40 hours a week. So I am not desperate for a new job however I know all retail companies are the same.

What do you all think?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
money's money. but yes, GS's future is on shakey ground since they can't seem to find investment

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know your current gig but it can't possibly be less secure than a GameStop gig.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If you're not desperate for a new job, I'd pass. Going from supervisor to assistant manager gets you a pay increase, but I doubt it would be worth all the shit you'd have to put up with.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
šŸ˜
get that money man. and slide me some of those free codes and coupons they be giving out to yall

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
We dont know your current situation but if you arent desperate for a change I would consider whats more secure for you which probably wouldn't be Gamestop.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can play games early and get lots of free merchandise such as surplus pre order codes, standees etc.

At least if it's like Game, which is the video game retailer in the UK.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Depends on the pay and how easily you can get a new job if things go south

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, the current company I work for is stable and will not be going bankrupt anytime soon. I'm scared to switch and then lose my job to a closure.

Don't do it then. Gamestop are in real trouble and on top of that as someone who worked for gamestop... I hated every second there.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you aren't making more money, why switch? If you are making more money, ask for a raise at your current job. Seems like a win/win, tbh.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Get the cash.
Get the title.
Get the experience.
Move on to a bigger and better position somewhere else in the future.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Idk why everyone is telling you to stay away. If a company goes bankrupt you would still get unemployment, plus having any type of manager experience on your resume even for GameStop is a really nice plus. On top of that you would be making more money than you are now. Why wouldn't you take it? GameStop isn't going to go out of business in less than a couple years I don't see why you wouldn't be running at this.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say no, working at GS was horrible and you should avoid working there at all costs. It can't possible be better than your current job

Ā”Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
The only rational reason I can think of doing this would be to use the Assistant Manager title to parlay yourself into a better company shortly after getting hired.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Unless something crazy happens, Gamestop will likely be toast within a couple years. I wouldn't make that bet.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Why are you switching jobs? GameStop is probably going out of business in the next couple of years so your job security isn't going to be the best.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
If you need the experience then go for it but make sure you're ready to jump ship for another job.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I literally do not know a single person who has worked for GameStop and thought it was a positive experience.

Signed, Worked for GameStop (and was required to do straight-up illegal shit)
You only replied to one single thing I said in my entire response. My point was he would make more money, get manager experience for his resume, and worst case scenario get unemployment if it does go south. Manager experience in any way is a big plus on any resume.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
If you plan on staying short-term, gain experience then move on. Cool. Otherwise, there isn't much point moving to a less stable job.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
As a summer job? Sure. Anything long term? Pass. They're in for a rough few years and you don't want to be there when they freeze paychecks and lock the doors.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ride it till they shut down and horde all the good shit so you can get it on deep clearance+employee discount.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
How do you feel about being threatened with your job every week because your numbers, which amount to high pressure sales aren't ever good enough while dealing with the mouth breathing, perpetually pissed public?

If that's what you're looking for then Game Hole is the place for you.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Unless you have a plan to get out quick, don't do it.

Having worked at A GameStop in the past, is incredibly demoralising.

If you feel like you can get in and out within 6 months, then maybe. But otherwise it'd be a very shortsighted decision to make.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not 100% happy with my current job, to be honest, however, I do get a lot of training and I do more stuff then a lot of other supervisors would do at a retail job.

The assistant manager position is what is getting me if I could eventually get promoted to store manager then I would be happy, but if the company goes out of business then I am screwed.

Oct 25, 2017
ę¹˜å—
I'm not 100% happy with my current job, to be honest, however, I do get a lot of training and I do more stuff then a lot of other supervisors would do at a retail job.

The assistant manager position is what is getting me if I could eventually get promoted to store manager then I would be happy, but if the company goes out of business then I am screwed.

Apply for a different job then. You can probably get an ASM position or close to it elsewhere if you play your cards right.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The assistant manager position is what is getting me if I could eventually get promoted to store manager then I would be happy

No, you wouldn't. Store managers are salaried, which really just means that you'd work more than 40 hours/week (much more) with no overtime.

It's honestly worse than being an ASM.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't jump ship if the potential benefits (pay, bonuses, etc) didn't crazy outweigh your current job tbh

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dude, get the manager position. And plan to switch out after 5 years. Then go to Best Buy or something.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you work 40 hours a week at a real job, you're probably making more there than you would being an AM at GameStop. When I was an AM at GameStop I wasn't even making 15 bucks an hour.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Idk why everyone is telling you to stay away. If a company goes bankrupt you would still get unemployment, plus having any type of manager experience on your resume even for GameStop is a really nice plus. On top of that you would be making more money than you are now. Why wouldn't you take it? GameStop isn't going to go out of business in less than a couple years I don't see why you wouldn't be running at this.
This so much.
Get that experience on your CV and climb the corporate ladder. If you don't like the job, switch in a couple of years. It's not going out of business in a matter of days.