• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of XCloud?

• I like it.

Votes: 451 63.2%
  • I dont like it.

Votes: 119 16.7%
  • I haven't tried it.

Votes: 144 20.2%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
In case you missed it, recently Xbox Cloud Gaming (which from here onwards I will refer to as "XCloud") became available as a part of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on Mexico and Brazil, the latter of which finally allowed me to check out the service since before there were no servers at all in South America. I upgraded my GP sub to Ultimate once it released and have been using it quite a bit over the past few weeks, here's how my experience with the service has been:

QUALITY:
The main thing about all gaming streaming services will always be image quality and latency. In my experience with XCloud, you could describe it as "good enough" - the latency is slightly noticeable, and the image quality is also not as good as native, but they are at least on a level where you can enjoy the game without it being annoying. It also depends heavily on what device you're playing on how noticeable it is, since for example on my PC it's often pretty clear that you're just watching a video, but on my phone or on a TV it masks all the compression artifacts really well. I've tried a variety of games on it and personally, I didn't have any trouble enjoying any of them including shooters, racing games or fast-paced platformers like Celeste. While the IQ and latency could improve as I've already said, the games themselves all had great performance and really quick loading times since iirc the servers are now being powered by Series-equivalent hardware.

EASE OF USE:
The main thing XCloud has over services like Stadia or Geforce Now, is its ease of use since by just subbing to Game Pass Ultimate, you gain access to all the cloud games that are available on the service, which at the time of writing this is a bit more than 300 games. If there's one thing Microsoft deserves props for though, is just how seamless the whole proccess is. You just open the mobile or PC apps, or even just the XCloud site in your preferred web browser, log into your account, connect a controller (including a DS4! didn't expect it to work without tweaks) if you need it and... that's it, you don't have to worry about network tests, adjusting settings, managing savefiles, updating or downloading games, etc. It's about as close to a "it just works" experience as you can get.

To give you an example, my most played Game Pass game is probably Forza Horizon 4, which I used to play the PC version of. However, since the preload for Horizon 5 was just enabled the other day and it's pretty huge in terms of gigabytes, I had to make room for it and there was no more obvious candidate for deletion than the game it will be replacing in my gaming time. As it's quite natural, once the release date of FH5 loomed closer, I felt an itch to play another Forza Horizon game again but I really didn't want to have 250GB on my PC dedicated to Forza Horizon games, but all I had to do to keep playing was click on the "Cloud Gaming" tab instead of the usual one, select Forza Horizon 4 and... that was pretty much it. The game took like two seconds to sync the save data with the save I had on the PC version, something it did completely automatically, and that was pretty much it, I was now playing the console version of Forza Horizon 4 via the cloud with all of my cars and progression intact. If I wanted to, I could even in just a minute or two open the phone app and just keep playing from there without having to worry about saves or performance. While I'm not sure if the same cross-save thing is supported for every game, it at the very least was for every other game I tried which was honestly pretty mindblowing.

CATALOGUE:
At this point, Game Pass having a lot of games is old news. XCloud doesn't include every game available in either the Console or PC Game Pass services but it does include a lot of them, and if you've only had PC Game Pass before like me, many of those like the Xbox 360 games (which include stuff like Skate 3, Fable Trilogy or Banjo Kazooie Trilogy) can count as brand new additions to the catalogue. There's more than enough things to play and honestly, it can be quite overwhelming to choose a game since now you don't have to worry about downloading them or filesizes or compatibility or anything, but once you're after that hurdle it's a smooth sailing.

ALTERNATIVES:
The only other competition in South America at the moment is Geforce Now, which unfortunately hasn't allowed any new subscribers since launch pretty much, and for free users you're looking at hours of queuing to play just 30 minutes of the game you selected. I did manage to get in a few times though, and was really surprised at how good the streaming quality and latency is (to the point where it just straight up looked and felt native - artifacts didn't show up even when purposefully looking for them), but it's just too cumbersome and unrealiable for me. You need to log in to Steam, Epic or whatever at the start of every session to prove that you own the games, something that is incredibly annoying when on a phone or TV, you have a random lottery of PCs so what kind of performance you get depends completely on luck and you have certain quirks like EA games not really being playable at all despite them advertising so or games just randomly disappearing for days for "maintenance" with no warning whatsoever. Oh, and sometimes you might enter a game and find out their PC needs to update it which is pretty funny on a cloud service.

CONCLUSION:
I really, really like XCloud. We're still pretty clearly in the dawn of Cloud Gaming so it's hard to predict how the service will evolve, but if they just increase the quality of the stream, it might honestly be a legit preferable alternative to local hardware under the right conditions; and hell, even now, it was a pretty much flawless experience on my TV with a cheap laptop connected to it to enter the XCloud site, which is fully navigable with a controller so you don't need to worry about keeping a keyboard near or anything. Right now a PS5 or Series X cost more than 7 years of Game Pass Ultimate in my country (a service that if I were to grab an Xbox I'd sub to anyways), so it's hard for me to deny that it's just more enticing to just sub and play whatever next-gen games arrive to Game Pass than bother with ridiculously priced hardware, even if the quality is obviously not going to be the same, at least for the time being.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I like it. It's a fun way to pass the time. Very easy to use and jump right back to what you were playing. Definitely a nice alternative.

As long as you go in with the mindset that you're not going to get a 1:1 experience as playing natively it's good stuff, not the primary way I'd want to play video games but something that's good to have along.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I have been using it a bit as well as it's now officially launched in Australia.

5g with razer Kishi looks great but the lag is there. Not completely unplayable by any means but first person shooters are certainly more difficult. Good thing is that there are many gamepass games that perfectly suit the setup.

Streaming on PC you can tell it's a pretty low bitrate but the input lag is actually amazing, I could easily play destiny 2 cloud streaming on PC however I wish there was a way to up the bitrate to make it look a little nicer.

GeForce now has also launched in Australia and I tried destiny 2 on that and while it looked slightly better the input lag was much worse.

I think in the not too distant future cloud gaming is going to be really big. It's gotten so much better in such a short amount of time.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
It's hit or miss for me, but more of the time it's very low quality. And I almost always have the connection issue icon on the top left of the screen, no matter what I do. Multiplayer competitive games like DBD are unplayable due to lag, and really shouldn't even be offered on the service imo.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I bought a Game Pass Ultimate sub to play Psychonaughts 2 and 12 minutes on it and I'm not disappointed. Obviously I've played some other stuff too...

It's flawless on my laptop, but I have some issues with the Android app on an Honor 9. Don't know if that might be storage related though, I'm constantly at 90%+ storage full..

I'm considering buying a series X via All Access but I've got a feeling I'm going to struggle to get hardware now due to Christmas.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on your network.

I have tested a few times at home (PC over ethernet, phone over WiFi) and sometimes it felt close... And sometimes I had bad latency. Feels like my router isn't the best for this demanding application.

I took my 8bitdo controller out and tried back 4 blood a couple days ago over LTE and it felt like I was playing natively. That honestly blew my mind.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It seems Stadia will soon help Xcloud and GFN to fulfill the huge cloud demand in Brazil...

Glad you enjoy xcloud, that's a pretty cool sub. 👻

I'd be totally willing to try out Stadia, though I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about buying cloud-only games so I'd probably only play the stuff included with Stadia Pro.

It really depends on your network.

I have tested a few times at home (PC over ethernet, phone over WiFi) and sometimes it felt close... And sometimes I had bad latency. Feels like my router isn't the best for this demanding application.

I took my 8bitdo controller out and tried back 4 blood a couple days ago over LTE and it felt like I was playing natively. That honestly blew my mind.
For cloud gaming over Wifi, 5ghz is a must from my own experience. Maybe your router is 2.4ghz? Though ethernet should still be better than both so I dunno.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've found it to be basically unplayable because of input lag. I've tested it on all the same gear that I play Stadia on and Stadia feels like local hardware. I hope Microsoft figures it out because the library is great and I love game streaming.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I don't have a Series X yet, honestly I prefer playing on xcloud more than playing on the xbox 1x at this point just for load times.

Oct 29, 2017
I like it. It's a fun way to pass the time. Very easy to use and jump right back to what you were playing. Definitely a nice alternative.

As long as you go in with the mindset that you're not going to get a 1:1 experience as playing natively it's good stuff, not the primary way I'd want to play video games but something that's good to have along.

Exactly this. It's never going to replace the console for me, but to be able to pair a controller to my phone and quickly play a couple of races in Dirt 5, or even tool around for a bit in New Vegas... that's pretty cool.

Oct 28, 2017
It's awesome. I even play at the gym when I'm on the bike. Latency is barely noticeable, my real problem is the massive latency my Bluetooth earbuds introduce..

Nov 8, 2017
At my house and on mobile networks in areas I visit a lot, the latency is good enough to play in general - although in some cases it got a bit borderline.

The image quality is good on a phone, but bad on a monitor. I imagine on a TV I wasn't sitting so close to it would be decent. Even in-home streaming from XSX looks kind of bad quality wise on a monitor up close. I imagine the xcloud blades might actually be doing a better encoding job than the XSX is locally. Fair enough I guess.

I would be very unlikely to use this if I had to pay seperate fees, but as a bundle with GPU which I already have, it's a cool little extra. One use case I have is playing coop games with my gf while she's on the xbox and I'm on my phone for cases where there is no local coop.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It often feels like magic, but like with anything streaming you'll see the occasional spike in network latency to remind you how you're playing. I like it quite a bit despite this. 98% of the time it is perfectly playable for me. That's worth $15 a month.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
It's awesome. I was playing avengers on my phone just a bit ago. Pretty responsive for me.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I like XCloud, especially on my phone, but my current use for it is fairly limited. I have a laptop with specs between a Series S and X, and a Series X. That covers like 95% of the time I want to play an Xbox game. Will use XCloud more when I get it on console.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using it to Stream to my Series S in my bedroom to play Sable and No Man's Sky today (My Series X is in the living room), and outside of the occasional artifacting, I forget I'm streaming the game. It's actually pretty impressive.

Edit: Playing over WiFi as well, not wired.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It works amazingly well here (São Paulo - Brazil). The servers are here in the city so that obviously helps, but it is better than I expected. Games with fast moving camera aren't really sharp, but still playable. For FPS pvp multiplayer it isnt good enough (as expected), but works fine for other kinds of multiplayer (football works fine, racing too).

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, im on the same boat as you OP. A fellow brazilian that thought the games would be unplayable but with a huge surprise the Xcloud just works. The latency and IQ is far better than I expected. I have been playing Halo 5 campaign, the only one not released on PC, in antecipation of infinite. Im also using the service to test games without the need of full downloading them. Now I clearly see this as the future of videogames. Plenty of people are already satisfied with this level of quality, but I can only imagine that higher resolutions and better latency will come in a few years.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I mostly use it just for Microsoft Reward points, but I have used a few things over it and it's okay. I hope to see it improve more over time though.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
I use it pretty often now.

And I echo OP with having the itch to play some Horizon before 5 drops (pre-installed) so I just turned on my SX, went to Game Pass and clicked on Horizon 4 then the Play in Cloud option and I was off to the races (literally lol).

I've been lucky with the experiences I've had, latency and image quality is great. Note; I'm on a 250/250 true fiber connection with an Azure datacenter less than 300km away.

The best thing is just impulse play; don't feel like waiting to download a game? You can immediately jump into it to try and if you like it, download later...or simply always play it via stream. Did this exact thing with FighterZ

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is GeforceNOW different between free users and paying ones when it comes to handling Steam credentials? I'm a Founders user and have never had to login to Steam again after the initial one.

I agree with GeforceNOW being significantly better in terms of latency and streaming quality. I wish Microsoft could approach that quality. Is it a distance to servers issue, or just the underlying tech holding it back at the moment? I have an 800 Mbps connection living near Seattle so I always thought I would be in close proximity to servers but Xbox streaming quality has always looked really soft with artifacts and varying degrees of input lag.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I feel Stadia has better input latency (I'm in Vancouver with fiber). But Xcloud has the games I want to play so I go there first.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
It's wonderful what MS was capable to do.

In Brazil, low input lag and good image quality, nothing to complain.

Apr 21, 2018
Is GeforceNOW different between free users and paying ones when it comes to handling Steam credentials? I'm a Founders user and have never had to login to Steam again after the initial one.
I have to login pretty much all the time. That's my only huge complain.

Otherwise, the one hour game session isn't a problem at all. Yesterday, i played 20 minutes of Streets of Rage 4 (i only had 2 micro sound Glitches, overall it worked great) and tonight i'll probably do the same.
(if i play more than one hour, then the queue gives me time to make a coffee, call family, taking a shower...)

Honestly, this one hour session is perfect against game addiction. (waiting a few minutes or doing something else isn't a big deal)

I forgot a minor concern for years to come. I live in a small town and i guess there aren't a lot of GFN users. (in 2021 cloud isn't very popular in europe)
For now, i have almost no queues to play A or AA (Cyberpunk was a bloody hell at launch on the other hand) but until when ? Brazilians have frequent queues due to the high demand. I fear the service will be crowded in 2022/2023 (when more Sony, Rockstar, Square, Capcom games will be available...maybe Nvidia will again limit game sessions to 30 minutes 😵)

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I played the Ascent using xcloud yesterday and wow!

It's a different game than playing native on my One X. It doesn't look as good, there's definitely compression artifacts and a lower resolution, but the loading times!

They went from unbearably slow to ridiculously fast. For the first time playing I didn't worry about going from level to level due to the load times.

I'll only be playing this one via xcloud from now on.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got a Backbone for my iPhone and it's completely changed my experience with xCloud. I'm in the southern US with solid WiFi, but there was always that lingering input lag when using a Bluetooth controller. While there is still a small trace of it there, it's VASTLY improved when using a direct connection controller, and IMO makes it possible to play through games entirely over the cloud. I also get the sense that they've been slowly improving the streaming experience on iOS recently, though it still has a way to go.

I think the biggest upcoming win with xCloud is going to be the console streaming. Being able to sit on the dashboard, browse for a new game to play, and instantly jump in without downloading is going to bring it much closer to a Netflix-like experience. Their vision for all of this is starting to come together and I'm personally pretty bullish on it.

K1ng P3n

Dec 15, 2018
Not a huge fan of gaming on mobile but I love cloud gaming on console. If there's a game on the cloud that I'm slightly interested in I just start it up and give a try. If i like it, I download it.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's not my preferential way to play but it's a great value add for when I'm visiting family.

I'll 100% be buying a backbone/kishi in the black friday sales.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've only played on my phone for an hour with a controller and it was Yakuza: Like A Dragon, but I really just toyed around with it to run around the city in the prologue to test the latency and it never hitched for me. Course I was in the living room, which is where my router is as well.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
The latency murders it for me. I'll play on a wired connection on my PC and I still notice it. I have gigabit fiber internet and it's still too much latency

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I played the entirety of Psychonauts 2 on xCloud and it was great. I wouldn't say the same for games like Forza Horizon for instance. So it's really a game by game basis for now regarding their cloud gaming.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't like any of the streaming services. They don't feel good to play. Slower stuff maybe. Like life is strange or something. But anything with any sort of action just feels too delayed.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Anecdotally, I have found that my cloud experience has gotten much better recently. More consistent connection, minimal input latency, negligible visual glitches or artifacting

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
When it actually works for me it's not very good. Massive input lag and poor image quality. Tried on phones, tablets, even my PC.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see how it performs when it's accessible from the console, but I consistently find it to have too much latency. It's my big problem with it. Stadia and even Nintendo Switch cloud games work much better for me. The latency on XCloud is just nearly unbearable for me.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
It works beautifully for me. No input lag that I can recognize. But I also don't notice any issues with the N64 stuff on the switch.

Remote play has also been perfect.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I like XCloud but hate using it. I mainly use it to complete GamePass quests.

I even turned on my Series X to stream Slay The Spire to my Windows PC (no cross-save) instead of playing it through XCloud.
I'm confident that the service will get better and better over time though.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I use it to play a lot of simpler games because my connection isn't always great. Simple in terms of input. Anything turn-based, walking sims, Slay the Spire, etc. I've used that extensively, and that's pretty great. I've yet to play on a 5G or a really strong wifi so can't speak to playing games with needs for faster inputs.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never used it and probably never will. Just don't see any situation where I would have to do that; and if I can avoid using it I will.