• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah my experience in mathematical economics is that the teacher sometimes gives you full credit if the answer is off, but the logic in the math is solid. the work you show is maybe even more important than the final answer. so that's not really great for you but... still best not to tell him anything.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Someone I barely know.

ioGGd8Z.gif

the guy is going to 100% say YOU cheated and copied all of HIS answers if this gets caught. lol

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Best of luck, it sounds like you made a dumb mistake, but hopefully it will slip by and you'll learn an important lesson from it. Honestly, you might also want to delete this thread, on the off chance someone at your university could see it. You've given some identifying details like that you were the only ones in your department, etc that could end up making you even more likely to get caught.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'll be the first to admit that when I'm grading exams, since I usually have 160 students I really don't pay too much attention unless the exam is really really wrong, so you'd slip past me, however since it's only 40 students...
You might have a lazier Prof than me OP

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my university was part of the Russel Group, which I suppose is the equivalent for the UK of Ivy-league in the US (I think? Not completely sure what defines Ivy-league other then they are well-known and hard to get into), so maybe that's why they took cheating so seriously. But I think it actually might be pretty standard for the UK, my 11plus was like that, my GCSEs and my A-Levels. So my uni pretty much did the same thing.
AFAIK this is the standard in the US as well. At least that's the case at my school, and I def don't go to an Ivy League lol

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
write an email to your prof. and snitch on the guy . say he pressured you and you're socially inept. It's your only way out.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Friend or random, you're not in middle school anymore. For future reference, if approached like this, laugh in their face and walk away.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're doing a meaningless victim free liberal arts degree and not enabling a dangerous medical professional etc. Because then you have that to consider too.

Is this really necessary? Does every academic discussion online have to turn into some "hurr durr liberal arts are meaningless and STEM is king" idiocy?

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Your exams don't have multiple versions of the test? In every college class I've ever taken our exams come in A, B, and C versions. If you copy off the person next to you you're just gonna get a 0 because the questions aren't even in the same order.

So yeah, if your school actually does do this and you just haven't considered it, that guy is truly fucked because they will notice he got a 0% and also had the exact same answers as you. All you can do is hope he doesn't rat on you, which really he has no reason to do

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your exams don't have multiple versions of the test? In every college class I've ever taken our exams come in A, B, and C versions. If you copy off the person next to you you're just gonna get a 0 because the questions aren't even in the same order.
This would be amazing if it happened to these two.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017

So yeah, if your school actually does do this and you just haven't considered it, that guy is truly fucked because they will notice he got a 0% and also had the exact same answers as you. All you can do is hope he doesn't rat on you, which really he has no reason to do
I don't think I've ever gotten this on a final exam, only for midterms.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I hate it when people just use these threads to dogpile on the OP and offer no practical solutions.

But in this case, im joining in. You're clearly a nice guy but what the absolute friggety fuck were you thinking? If you get caught there is no easy out on this one. I genuinely hope you don't get caught because your horribly misguided intentions were good. But damn man...

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I learned that mistake with a close shave too, not because I let someone copy though. Someone asked to take a look at my code, so I could walk them through how to do something. I walked away and went to the bathroom at one point, and they literally copied and submitted my program. Like the actual file, name, date everything. I couldn't believe it when I was called in. I ended up getting off with a warning not to assist people with code, and especially not to leave files open around others. But wow, people will really do stupid things when they are desperate.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I mean

You helped him cheat. As far as the university is concerned, you cheated just as much. It's already happened, the only thing you can do now is throw him under the bus before he does you.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

You're absolutely right, I completely forgot about this. I don't think I ever took a test in college where it wasn't ensured that the people surrounding you had different versions.

Seems to me that either the story is fake or the guy got a zero.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to understand how a stranger can approach you with such an offer and your immediate answer is not "hell no, go away".

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this really necessary? Does every academic discussion online have to turn into some "hurr durr liberal arts are meaningless and STEM is king" idiocy?

I mean I personally have a victim free hur dur liberal arts degree, one and a half if you include an equivalency, so why not filter that out for yourself and just focus away from the harmless joke and back on the more important safety or ethics point?

Also if you care, yes, for at least the entire 20th century,academic discussions, from grumbling about college fees to tenure, have inevitably contained that comparison.

And yet multiple generations have survived it with very little blood spilled.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I have a victim free liberal arts degree so why not filter that out for yourself and just focus away from the harmless joke and back on the more important safety point?

Fair enough. Sorry. There are enough people online who like to inject that into discussions seriously that I have a bit of a sensitivity to it.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Engineering economics.
Ahh its not a university in US. So I dont know how those exams are like. But if its with alot of numbers and math, I would think you would be fine. And hopefully if it has written answers, that person would atleast worded the written aspect different than yours.

Anyways I wish the best for you OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're absolutely right, I completely forgot about this. I don't think I ever took a test in college where it wasn't ensured that the people surrounding you had different versions.

Seems to me that either the story is fake or the guy got a zero.
You are probably talking about multiple choice questions or quizzes with a single question with different numbers and not a 4 question exam.

Mar 3, 2018
Told your story to my good friend who is a mechanical engineer and recently graduated. He basically says he would be shocked if you aren't caught, and not kicked out. Sorry to make you feel worse, but hopefully you get lucky and this slips through the cracks and you learn from this.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
People are allowed to make mistakes but universities take academic dishonesty very seriously. I'll reiterate in saying you were very stupid in allowing it to happen.

Don't try to cover shit up because it could get worse for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember you already fucked up bad so hold your tongue and if you do end up getting questioned either deny, deny, deny or get the world's best sob story going.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Extreme social inaptitude.
OP, there is a very good chance you're going to get caught, this is your only way out. Tell them that you felt pressure since you were supposed to tutor him, and you didn't expect him to ask to let him cheat and because your social anxiety you couldn't say "no". That you're not used to deal with this kind of situation, and you were scare of how he would react if you refused. Maybe they take pity on you and give you a second chance, I know I would.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Engineering economics.

Well at least the worst case scenario is a really bad building budget - anyway I hope you figure out how to fix it and as a few others have noted the guy might have inadvertently doomed himself.

The dog pile isn't really about you panicking and making a bad decision - like loaning a hobo your cellphone - which is the kind of weird social spotlight you found yourself in - it's about the dilution (or perceived dilution) of already outrageously expensive education which doesn't even have the decency to be optional.

Even "hur dur liberal arts" degrees represent (in modern US) tremendous financial and personal investment and are practically and sadly - a non-optional and partially unavoidable entrance fee to the middle class.

Is there a (confidential) guidance counselor or student advocate you can ask for practical information from? Find out what you're exposed to and how to fix it? Maybe even a friendly professor?

Mar 3, 2018
You better pray your professor is lazy and has a shitty memory.

Thing is, and not to make OP feel more nervous and worse; most professors grade the papers these days along with one or two other TA's. At least that's how it was in my school and my friends. Specially when it
comes to final exams they can get very thorough. Schools take this shit very seriously these days.

I think OP should probably talk to the other person so they have a story or something that doesn't contradict each other if and when they are caught.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I have read in this thread sounds like if your professor notices you are fucked. Honestly the story sounds so ridiculous that I am not even sure I believe it is true. Though as someone who has seen people copy each others code in my CS classes without changing anything, and got caught with the 0s to show for it, I guess I shouldn't underestimate how lazy some cheaters are. That is the only thing that makes me think this story might even be slightly true.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26398

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP, there is a very good chance you're going to get caught, this is your only way out. Tell them that you felt pressure since you were supposed to tutor him, and you didn't expect him to ask to let him cheat and because your social anxiety you couldn't say "no". That you're not used to deal with this kind of situation, and you were scare of how he would react if you refused. Maybe they take pity on you and give you a second chance, I know I would.
That's the plan.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP should probably talk to the other person so they have a story or something that doesn't contradict each other if and when they are caught.

That really won't help. Sometimes you have to accept the consequences of your actions and, in this case, you'd go to the professor who is marking the exam and explain the situation. Since you're fucked either way, at least coming forward and admitting what you did cuts out the middleman where you lie and they double check and everyone wastes everyone else's time.

Depending on the professor, they might even show leniency or allow you to rewrite your exam from scratch under the condition it's completely different to what you have submitted already.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I don't think you'll get caught. Even if they notice the match but you got different versions, I doubt they'll do anything since there's not enough proof. Just don't confess, that will truly screw you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.