Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The Best Years of Our Lives -- surprisingly thoughtful for it's time. It's a 1946 movie about the difficult adjustments servicemen have returning from the war
Desk Set
The Philadelphia Story
Arsenic and Old Lace
- the nephew of a couple of spinsters discovers that they've been poisoning men for years and burying them in the basement, using their brother who thinks he's Teddy Roosevelt building the Panama Canal.

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I can not recommend Wings enough, it's a great movie and features the first on-screen same-sex kiss, it was also the first movie (and only silent era movie) to win an oscar. it's a silent era movie but the newest blu ray release is great and has a great new audio track with an excellent score and also sound effects for scenes where they would have heard them (plane engine sounds and other things). Contrary to popular belief "Silent" movies when they were shown in many theaters, especially the fancy ones actually were not in fact silent. They had people that would create effects during scenes with instruments and things, so like if a character dropped something or a thunderstorm was going on you'd have someone making the sound effects for those scenes in the theater during this movie (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syPCZNB1ikE ), it was also dependent on the theater you went to, some could only have an organ with a few sound effects built into it rather then a lot of different ones for different things.
DQmpLyD.gif

BRlQSdN.gif

aOcDrLg.gif

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I can not recommend Wings enough, it's a great movie and features the first on-screen same-sex kiss, it was also the first movie (and only silent era movie) to win an oscar. it's a silent era movie but the newest blu ray release is great and has a great new audio track with an excellent score and also sound effects for scenes where they would have heard them (plane engine sounds and other things). Contrary to popular belief "Silent" movies when they were shown in many theaters, especially the fancy ones actually were not in fact silent. They had people that would create effects during scenes with instruments and things, so like if a character dropped something or a thunderstorm was going on you'd have someone making the sound effects for those scenes in the theater during this movie (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syPCZNB1ikE ), it was also dependent on the theater you went to, some could only have an organ with a few sound effects built into it rather then a lot of different ones for different things.
DQmpLyD.gif

BRlQSdN.gif

aOcDrLg.gif
Damn, that second GIF is amazing. Such a modern looking shot. I don't watch too many silent films but I really should check out Wings one of these days.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
DQmpLyD.gif

BRlQSdN.gif

aOcDrLg.gif
I watched that last week, I got it from my local library and the added soundtrack with sound effects worked really well.

Scudo

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
also, watch The Night of the Hunter

and if you want an underappreciated bogart deep cut, watch The Petrified Forest.

Glad to see The Night of the Hunter get mentioned. the underwater sequence has imho some of the most beautiful & haunting imagery ever put to film. I was also struck by it's cynicism toward religion, seems rare for that era

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I'm 25 and watched Casablanca for the first time last month too! I was actually kind of astonished at how great it was, didn't feel like it had aged a day.

Watch Ikiru (1952) by Akira Kurosawa.

ikiru-bfi-00m-ek4.jpg

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and it may be my new favourite film. I also went through 12 other works of Kurosawa for the first time and the consistent quality cemented him as my favourite director too, he is simply unbelievable.

A few other older films I recently enjoyed were:

Paths of Glory (1957)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Psycho (1960)
The Apartment (1960)

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Also a few more recommendations:

City Lights
Metropolis
Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Nosferatu

I also have to recommend some movies my distant relative worked on as well,

From Here to Eternity
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045793/?ref_=nm_knf_t2

In a Lonely Place
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042593/?ref_=nm_flmg_cin_64

All the King's Men
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041113/?ref_=nm_knf_t4

He was the cinematographer of these movies, won an Oscar for From Here to Eternity and then later in his career won again for Bonnie and Clyde, though I never met him or anything since I wasn't even born til after he had passed away.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone in the UK interested in watching classic films, the British Film Institute have a subscription service with a good selection to sift through here. I used the trial period to marathon as many as I could recently.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
39 steps, double indemnity, 12 angry men, dial m for murder, north by northwest, vertigo, key largo, and plenty more.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Dr strangelove, psycho, 2001: a space Odyssey, singin in the rain, to kill a mockingbird, the wild bunch, sunset Blvd, modern times, 12 angry men, it's a wonderful Life.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dr strangelove, psycho, 2001: a space Odyssey, singin in the rain, to kill a mockingbird, the wild bunch, sunset Blvd, modern times, 12 angry men, it's a wonderful Life.

I just went through the whole thread and I was going to say not to sleep on It's A Wonderful Life. One post too late.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I watched this for the first time last year. I didn't really dig it. This is probably a bad complaint but Rick just came off as a creep to me. Like I know he wasn't necessarily supposed to really be likable but in 2018 his behavior just read as disturbingly obsessed, possessive, and sexist to the point where it hurt my ability to enjoy the movie. As a whole I also found the thing kind of uninteresting, for a while, though it picked up at the end.

Citizen Kane I also watched last year though and was excellent. Charles Foster Kane is extremely well defined and you can totally "get" a character like him.

My favorite classic movie is probably City Lights though. I can't believe a silent movie was able to convey such emotions so strongly, and Chaplin is an all-timer.

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
Bicycle Thieves is incredible.

Il Posto is amazing.

Sansho The Bailiff has really stuck with me, even though I only watched it once.

A Patch Of Blue is a great love story.

La Strada is a must see.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone recommend 'On the Waterfront.' The story and acting are at the highest levels here. Brando was a powerhouse.

I also want to parrot anyone who recommends Kurosawa and 'North by Northwest.' 'Seven Samura' might be the best movie ever made. I know 'Dreams' isn't highly regarded among his works (also not old), but there are a few vignettes in there that get me emotionally every time (Village of the Watermills and The Tunnel).

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Lots of great recs in here, I love finding old movies that feel more modern in their sensibilities.

Dig all the film noir suggestions in the thread. I presume someone mentioned Kiss Me Deadly - it's a great noir tinged with nuclear paranoia. Also has a macguffin that influenced Tarantino with the glowing suitcase in Pulp Fiction.

As well as the awesomeness of Kurosawa (High & Low!) check out Ozu, I love his movies, generally small slice of life tales. Might as well start with Tokyo Story.

Branded to Kill by Seijun Suzuki is a great, offbeat Yakuza movie.

Naked Kiss and Shock Corridor by Sam Fuller are great low budget flicks.

Funeral Parade of Roses is a trippy look at Tokyo drag/gay/artsy folks in the late 60s. Has a lot of visual style that influenced Kubrick heavily on A Clockwork Orange.

French New Wave is full of brilliant movies - 400 Blows, early Godard (I <8 Vivre Sa Vie), Renais, Tati.

Sweet Smell of Success by Alexander McKendrick is really great.

Powell/Pressburger movies are visually stunning and interesting, varied stories - Life & Death of Colonel Blimp and Black Narcissus are good ones to try.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting me hyped for the return of the Criterion Channel.

The Grand Illusion
The Lady Eve
Wooden Crosses
The Passion of Joan of Arc

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
91qsXWzpoRL._SL1500_.jpg

Some will say that Citizen Kane is the greatest film by Orson Welles. Those people have not seen the Chimes at Midnight.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
My personal faves
Breathless
The 400 Blows
Elevator to the Gallows
Le Samourai
Harakiri
Stray Dogs
Yojimbo
On the Waterfront
Lord of the Flies

These two Roman Polanski films, if you are able separate the art from the artist.
Knife in the Water
Chinatown

kfvick

Dec 3, 2018
Mississippi
Loving the love and suggestions in here for 12 Angry Men. One of my all time favorites.

I'm directing a stage production of it (well, 12 Angry Jurors, which is the same but allowing for a mixed gender cast) for my local theatre, and I couldn't be more excited. The themes are (sadly) still so relevant today, the dialogue is crackling with tension, it builds perfectly, and demands the highest levels of acting ability. Such a good movie to have as a reference point.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Lubitsch is a good call - watch Design for Living (1933) for a view of how liberal Hollywood filmmakers (at least pre-code) looked at love and marriage as something not to be taken as rigid rulesets. Also a very funny movie.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
my pre 1960s list (even though I've included 2 films released in 1960)

Casablanca- my absolute favourite older film. I consider it a better film that Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane is still an excellent film, just Casablanca is better.
Bridge of the River Kwai- one of the few war epics that holds up well today.
North By Northwest is my all time favourite Hitchcock film
Psycho is also great.
The Time Machine
Shadow of a Doubt is a really interesting Hitchcock film about a stranger up to no good who is doubted only by a young girl whom no one believes.
The Day the Earth Stood Still is probably the first great SciFi film about aliens that isn't total cheese.
War of the Worlds is slightly cheesier but beautifully made.
The Third Man

I haven't seen it in 30 years but Goodbye Mr Chips (1939) will likely make you cry

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
makes me want to move to morocco and open a classy bar.

Believe me when I say Morocco doesn't look, feel, or in anyway resembles the movie Casablanca, by a long shot. Unless you live in a literal dictatorship, you'd be downgrading in all aspects by moving to Morocco. Except for food, I guess. The locals are great too outside the obvious tourist trappers.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Once Upon a Time in the West is pretty great. I liked it more than The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, which in itself was a pretty good film, too.