• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I never really stopped skating but I haven't tried to do a trick since middle school. As soon as I entered high school I switched wheels from the regular tiny ones to some nice longboard wheels and just cruised everywhere from then on. No more worrying about cracks in the pavement or rocks on the asphalt lol. I still carry a board every once in a while on the trunk just in case.

I also stopped wearing skating brand shirts mostly because of a shitty incident I had one day when I decided to cruise over to the local pizza place to grab a bite to eat wearing a black label shirt with a barcode. I was almost jumped by a group of black dudes cause they thought I was wearing a racist shirt. I used to wear enjoi, black label, and Girl shirts a lot back in the day. None of that DC, Alien Workshop, or Element poser stuff.... jk

Avalanche blank boards were my go to with Abec 9 bearings, destructo trucks and longboard wheels. No idea what the hot stuff is now a days and I do see kids skating so it's definitely not a thing of the past. Remember when world industries was big with flame boy and water boy? Also their boards where thin and shitty, I snapped one the first day I had it :(

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Shredding home through the streets after a night out and meeting new people, Taking Back Sunday blaring through my headphones, it's safe to say getting fully back into skating had breathed life back into me. I feel alive again.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Shredding home through the streets after a night out and meeting new people, Taking Back Sunday blaring through my headphones, it's safe to say getting fully back into skating had breathed life back into me. I feel alive again.

Yeah this has basically been me all summer, just moved near the beach, too

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Totally fucked myself up good tonight. Not 5 seconds after I left the bar on a totally innocuous bump in the road. Wasn't even a dangerous or fast spot. Fucked up my hands and knees too, but my face matters more since I interact face to face with a lot of customers.

d3Vthsn.jpg

I'm making myself a pizza to make myself feel better.

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
Kick, push And.... coast.

I'm reaching my 30s and I pick up my board once in a while and the nostalgia is legit. My gf says it's for kids...

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
It feels so good to skate again. But, being in my late 20's, everytime I get a little injury, it feels like forever for it to heal. Wether it's a scrape on my palm or a twisted foot.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
My buddy is in his mid 20s and has skated for a long time and I'm 28. He asked me if I wanted to join him one day (never been on a skateboard before) and I agreed. I learned to balance myself and actually move around and turn that day. It was fun but I fell a couple times after that day and they were hard falls. But haven't completely quit yet.
I bought my 2 yr old son a scooter with some safety gear and took him to the park. He loved it. Now I want him to get into skateboarding when he's older.

Oct 27, 2017
Totally fucked myself up good tonight. Not 5 seconds after I left the bar on a totally innocuous bump in the road. Wasn't even a dangerous or fast spot. Fucked up my hands and knees too, but my face matters more since I interact face to face with a lot of customers.

I'm making myself a pizza to make myself feel better.
That sucks dude. Buy some concealer if you have to

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be 35 in october, and have been skateboarding pretty hardcore from 17ish to my early 30s. Skated and hanged around with pros (cliché, Enjoi, even a few less members of ZER0 at the time) in Paris for many years at famous spots (Bercy, Puteaux, Nanterre) and were the best years of my life. Then I moved around many times and I skated less and less after I settled here in Toulouse (home of Lucas Puig).

Funny though, I was actually thinking of riding lately, as I haven't touched my board for almost a year. I don't think I'll ever completely drop skateboarding (despite skating much more rarely, I still got that popped clean AF kickflip landing on 8 locked for good), it's just too much a part of me now, and definitely a "school of life" as it helped me focus and with so much else during my younger adult life (which was pretty rough).

Kudos OP, just dare, have fun and stay young. It should always be about having fun.

PS : I strongly recommend watching this conference with Mullen and Hawk talking about skateboarding and what it can bring to other fields. Amazing stuff, and it might definitely give you this sudden urge to go out there and ride ! Sure did for me :)

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
My face is healing up pretty quickly. The cuts and scrapes on my hands and knees ended up being more annoying with my job that has a lot of physical labor.

Took my board out tonight. Fuck you road. You don't own me.

OP
OP
Vas

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can ollie really well holding still. why do i have an issue when rolling? help me

A good chance that your problem is a lack of confidence (or, if you're older like me, the presence of an apparently newly-formed brain lol). I've found that in the same counterintuitive way that a dull blade is more dangerous than a sharp one, a slow-moving trick is more dangerous than a moderate speed trick. FOr me, I hesitated and second guessed myself a lot when starting again. But, you gotta have that "I'm 13 Korn rules" IDGAF kind of mindset when you try it. This was the case with me.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
A good chance that your problem is a lack of confidence. I've found that in the same counterintuitive way that a dull blade is more dangerous than a sharp one, a slow-moving trick is more dangerous than a moderate speed trick. FOr me, I hesitated and second guessed myself a lot when starting again. But, you gotta have that "I'm 13 Korn rules" IDGAF kind of mindset when you try it. This was the case with me.

that was certainly true re-learning it holding still, if i dont commit, i wont land it. but moving seems to be adding something else to the equation. i feel like i'm way to focused on the ollie and not on the movement balance - i just need to focus less on the jump and incorporate it into the skating. so yeah, lack of confidence LOL

OP
OP
Vas

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that was certainly true re-learning it holding still, if i dont commit, i wont land it. but moving seems to be adding something else to the equation. i feel like i'm way to focused on the ollie and not on the movement balance - i just need to focus less on the jump and incorporate it into the skating. so yeah, lack of confidence LOL

Yeah I dip down and I see a flash of the ER bill and I do that little double-dip with my body weight before I leave the ground. I learned eventually that it's gotta be one motion with no thinking or I'm gonna have a bad time. lol

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I was never a skater, but my best friend was, and I knew all about the culture through him. We were both way into the extreme sports video games of the time, too, like Tony Hawk and Aggressive Inline and Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. I knew all about the magazines and sponsers and everything too. Even the music. Ska was huge in that scene.

I was the fat kid. Not just a fat kid, but the fat kid, so skateboarding itself was a no-go for me. I tried it early on but basically got laughed out of it (and it's not like I was physically capable of it anyway). But I did really enjoy living the culture through my friend. Never got into smoking weed, though... I kind of preferred it in middle school before that entered the picture, but my friend WAS fun to be around when he was high. Sometimes I couldn't even tell when he had been smoking, lol.

People used to call us Jay and Silent Bob.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
A good chance that your problem is a lack of confidence (or, if you're older like me, the presence of an apparently newly-formed brain lol). I've found that in the same counterintuitive way that a dull blade is more dangerous than a sharp one, a slow-moving trick is more dangerous than a moderate speed trick. FOr me, I hesitated and second guessed myself a lot when starting again. But, you gotta have that "I'm 13 Korn rules" IDGAF kind of mindset when you try it. This was the case with me.
Yup. This is what I'm facing lol.

Also, I think I need to film myself as I'm sure my posture/balance is fucked because I'm not getting full perspective on my stance and body movements.

OP
OP
Vas

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. This is what I'm facing lol.

Also, I think I need to film myself as I'm sure my posture/balance is fucked because I'm not getting full perspective on my stance and body movements.

Yeah, lol. Sometimes you need to just chill on tricks and focus on fundies like just riding and push efficiency. Like how when you are trying to do a hard guitar part, and you can practice it for hours and never get anywhere, but if you break and do your fundamental scales and exercises for 30 minutes you can go back and suddenly pull it off.

My nephews were really interested in learning. I told them: "Tricks are extra... you don't need to do them to skateboard." I swear to god, I would have been so much better as a young skater if I didn't even know what the fuck a kickflip was for the first year. lol

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, lol. Sometimes you need to just chill on tricks and focus on fundies like just riding and push efficiency. Like how when you are trying to do a hard guitar part, and you can practice it for hours and never get anywhere, but if you break and do your fundamental scales and exercises for 30 minutes you can go back and suddenly pull it off.

My nephews were really interested in learning. I told them: "Tricks are extra... you don't need to do them to skateboard." I swear to god, I would have been so much better as a young skater if I didn't even know what the fuck a kickflip was for the first year. lol
Yeah, the coolest shit I've seen lately is when I was downtown the other night and a dude was just riding his board home, fuckin flying downhill and doing quick succession short ollies over light rail tracks, cracks, bumps, sewer gates, etc. and just cruising down the street. A bit later a dude was just weaving between folks and at one point power-slid into the grass/dirt and back onto the sidewalk.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
It's been 30 years since I touched a skateboard but I think I could do it if I wore my mtb full face helmet. But that'd look ridiculous.