Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even got a bunch of loonies actually trying to justify this rationale. Having fun getting shot like a loser.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
With people commenting this is insane, other countries are not losing their minds etc. You are right, other countries are not. But you forget how much of a cesspool America really is. No other countries are as prone to violence as America. I still remember in time of disaster like the big earthquake we had when I was a kid people were looting each other instead of helping each other. We have so many people with the I got mine mentality. I don't blame those wanting to arm themselves.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Thankful to not have to think about that in the midst of our lockdown where I live. I absolutely get that there's a logical explanation for this due to the anterior gun situation in the US, but this is so fucking foreign to me.

I have trouble imagining living in some place where this is normal.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Thankful to not have to think about that in the midst of our lockdown where I live. I absolutely get that there's a logical explanation for this due to the anterior gun situation in the US, but this is so fucking foreign to me.

This crossed my mind too. My only worry right now is to not become a symptomless carrier of the virus so that I unwittingly cause harm to others. If I had to worry about the ill intent of my fellow humans my stress levels would shoot right the heck up.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Stuff like this is also being reported happening in this country:

mukIuFB.png

I bet it's not in other countries but that's the reality we live in here and the things that people are afraid of.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With people commenting this is insane, other countries are not losing their minds etc. You are right, other countries are not. But you forget how much of a cesspool America really is. No other countries are as prone to violence as America. I still remember in time of disaster like the big earthquake we had when I was a kid people were looting each other instead of helping each other. We have so many people with the I got mine mentality. I don't blame those wanting to arm themselves.
This is so, so fucking stupid. "No other countries are as prone to violence as America" sure buddy, tell that to Syria or Somalia or Mexico or Venezuela or Guatemala. There are many, many countries experiencing civil war, organized cartels with more power than the government, etc. Get some fucking perspective.

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure the real galaxy brain take is leaping from global pandemic of a respiratory infection straight to "massive civil unrest" that would require the use of a firearm. But sure whatever you need to tell yourself to think this kind of behavior is logical or necessary.
People want to prepare for the worst. It's why people have been stocking up on food and supplies.
Nobody knows how this is going to play out.

Americans have a very individualist mindset. And many believe the complete breakdown of society is not a distant, abstract thought.

If the situation gets bad enough, people will be desperate to make ends meet. We can argue about whether or not this is necessary. But people don't care. To many people, the downside of owning a firearm is just the few hundred dollars it cost to purchase. That's it.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You have absolutely no idea if this is real or not. Even the person who posted it has no idea if it's real.

We don't, but even the police are warning people about it. It could be a hoax but when the police are alerting people about these types of things happening, of course people are going to be more on edge and it's not unprecedented either with people taking advantage of other situations or impersonating to gain access. So that makes it believable that people would do this now. The reason I even know about it is because my mother-in-law called to warn about it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You have absolutely no idea if this is real or not. Even the person who posted it has no idea if it's real.

I've also seen a number of stories of "people with Corona licking doornobs/shopping carts" floating around. No real basis on it. I actually saw the above pic and although I don't doubt that scams like that could happen, it could even be some bored edgy kids dressing up for videos or something.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
A week ago it would have been batshit crazy for people getting in fist fights over toliet paper. and yet here we are.
I mean, that's still batshit crazy for either party involved lol.

You, a fool: stockpiling guns and ammo

Me, a genius: acquiring 1 x lawnmower blade, 1 x motorcycle gas tank, 1 x motorcycle handbrake, and 1 x pilot light to be able to construct my own Shishkebab
Lol

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't, but even the police are warning people about it. It could be a hoax but when the police are alerting people about these types of things happening, of course people are going to be more on edge and it's not unprecedented either with people taking advantage of other situations or impersonating to gain access. So that makes it believable that people would do this now.
Police spread hoaxes all the fucking time, they are hardly a reliable source of information, especially if they have no firsthand evidence of anything. You are literally contributing to the fearmongering by posting this unsourced hoax. Don't do that, it is spreading misinformation.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Think the philly tweet needs semantics.
theft/burglary = no interaction with victim directly
Robbery = interaction, will be investigated

just guessing but they should clear it up

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've also seen a number of stories of "people with Corona licking doornobs/shopping carts" floating around. No real basis on it. I actually saw the above pic and although I don't doubt that scams like that could happen, it could even be some bored edgy kids dressing up for videos or something.
It's bullshit and it leads to hate crimes. This is the kind of dangerous misinformation spread that leads to people being harmed.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think the philly tweet needs semantics.
theft/burglary = no interaction with victim directly
Robbery = interaction, will be investigated

just guessing but they should clear it up
The people sharing that tweet here aren't interested in the context, they just want to fearmonger. Oh no, they aren't throwing the sex workers and people who wrote a bad check into jail immediately anymore! Society is breaking down! Give me a fucking break.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Police spread hoaxes all the fucking time, they are hardly a reliable source of information, especially if they have no firsthand evidence of anything. You are literally contributing to the fearmongering by posting this unsourced hoax. Don't do that, it is spreading misinformation.

It was already posted in this thread but the point is that's the fear people are living with and it's understandable why people would want to protect themselves. They see reports like this, especially warnings from the police combined with all the other factors like I listed above including people physically fighting over toilet paper and it's really not hard to understand the fear people have of things getting worse.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was already posted in this thread but the point is that's the fear people are living with and it's understandable why people would want to protect themselves. They see reports like this, especially warnings from the police combined with all the other factors like I listed above including people physically fighting over toilet paper and it's really not hard to understand the fear people have of things getting worse.
What you are describing is fearmongering. This behavior encourages panic. It is unhealthy and dangerous.

The fact that the reaction to a global pandemic is American's mass buying weaponry is an indictment on our culture.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The US will never not be insane.
In the rest of the world people are acting like actual humans and here you have people stockpiling like their country is gonna be taken over by a special kind of werewolves who are allergic to lead.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
What you are describing is fearmongering. This behavior encourages panic. It is unhealthy and dangerous.

The fact that the reaction to a global pandemic is American's mass buying weaponry is an indictment on our culture.

Saying I understand why something is happening isn't the same thing as advocating for such behavior. I'm not buying a gun myself because of what's going on nor am I telling others they should. I just find it more baffling that people don't at least understand why someone might do it. I find these posts about wanting to shoot the virus as a reason more baffling than that. Hell it even makes more sense than the people in other countries physically fighting over toilet paper.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
This is so, so fucking stupid. "No other countries are as prone to violence as America" sure buddy, tell that to Syria or Somalia or Mexico or Venezuela or Guatemala. There are many, many countries experiencing civil war, organized cartels with more power than the government, etc. Get some fucking perspective.
No, you are definitely right on that point. That was incredibly insensitive of me and lack any perspective.

The point I fail to make is the ease of getting a gun in America makes it a unique situation here. Until we can get gun control in check I do not blame people for arming themselves. I am not condoning it saying it is the right thing to do. It is just we have a lot of people that have no business owning a gun can go down to their local wal mart and buy it. I personally think there will be more accidental shooting and gun accidents than people using it for legitimate reasons. On that same note, I can see why people are arming themselves because it is so damn easy to get a gun here even those who have no business owning a gun or having access to one.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit I thought about it. My brother texted me someone in our city got robbed for their groceries. We did some shopping already so we don't need to go back for a while, but it'll be on my mind next time we hit a grocery store.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Hell it even makes more sense than the people in other countries physically fighting over toilet paper.

You've used this toilet paper bit quite a number of times now. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I've seen waaaay more violent videos and fighting that occurred from Black Friday. So you can replace "toilet paper" with "video games" or something else as equally silly, and more chaos happens at THOSE events, in the past, than the minor things that have happened now, in actual uncertain times.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You've used this toilet paper bit quite a number of times now. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I've seen waaaay more violent videos and fighting that occurred from Black Friday. So you can replace "toilet paper" with "video games" or something else as equally silly, and more chaos happens at THOSE events, in the past, than the minor things that have happened now, in actual uncertain times.
The point is lets not pretend this irrational behavior and physical violence is just a US thing. I mean someone physically attacked someone over paper to wipe their ass and it wasn't in the US yet we continue to see people shit on the US like it's the only one doing irrational acts of behavior or violence during this pandemic.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thank you.

Also, violent crime in the U.S. has been in a steady decline for decades. As a nation we have some very big problems (And gun control is one of them) but there are places in this world where literal genocide is taking place on a regular basis.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The point is lets not pretend this irrational behavior and physical violence is just a US thing. I mean someone physically attacked someone over paper to wipe their ass and it wasn't in the US yet we continue to see people shit on the US like it's the only one doing irrational acts of behavior or violence during this pandemic.
Maybe because people aren't prepapring on taking on an army with all the heat they're buying?
People are doing crazy stupid irresponsible shit in France too but they sure as hell aren't preparing for an armed uprising.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
You, a fool: stockpiling guns and ammo

Me, a genius: acquiring 1 x lawnmower blade, 1 x motorcycle gas tank, 1 x motorcycle handbrake, and 1 x pilot light to be able to construct my own Shishkebab
Me, a galaxy brain: acquiring 1 x toy car, 1 x surgical tubing, 1 x paint gun and 1 x radscorpion poison gland to build a dart gun, cripple your legs and make your melee build borderline worthless.

Nothin Personnel kid.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because people aren't prepapring on taking on an army with all the heat they're buying?
People are doing crazy stupid irresponsible shit in France too but they sure as hell aren't preparing for an armed uprising.

Not everyone is buying enough guns to take on an army though. Sure mock the people who have like 20 guns and are buying more but someone going out to buy a single gun to protect their home isn't the same as that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you are definitely right on that point. That was incredibly insensitive of me and lack any perspective.

The point I fail to make is the ease of getting a gun in America makes it a unique situation here. Until we can get gun control in check I do not blame people for arming themselves. I am not condoning it saying it is the right thing to do. It is just we have a lot of people that have no business owning a gun can go down to their local wal mart and buy it. I personally think there will be more accidental shooting and gun accidents than people using it for legitimate reasons. On that same note, I can see why people are arming themselves because it is so damn easy to get a gun here even those who have no business owning a gun or having access to one.
That's exactly why this is an unreasonable reaction though, it will lead to more accidents and it doesn't benefit any of the people buying guns.

Side note, big of you to admit that and apologies for being so aggressive in my post quoting you. It just set me off a bit, but takes a lot to reflect and realize why it was insensitive.

Last edited:

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
O I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am just trying to get in the brains of those in line for one. Here in my city I saw the same thing and I told my wife that this will lead to more death. Accidently shooting, kids gaining access to it etc. Because I am positive most people will not put in the time and effort to learn about gun safety and practicing with their guns. I hate our gun culture here. But sadly I get their reasoning. Easy access to guns, fear of more guns in the world, need to fight fire with fire. I am no way shape or form saying it is the right reasoning at all. I am just saying I don't blame them because it is so normal and accepted here.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
O I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am just trying to get in the brains of those in line for one. Here in my city I saw the same thing and I told my wife that this will lead to more death. Accidently shooting, kids gaining access to it etc. Because I am positive most people will not put in the time and effort to learn about gun safety and practicing with their guns. I hate our gun culture here.
Yeah you are exactly right

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I despise guns.

But I am considering something for protection. The news of hatred towards Asian-Americans currently and knowing how stupid people can get has me on edge.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many in line already have multiple guns but are buying more.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the argument is looting, all you really do is drastically increase the odds of yourself getting shot if you are looted. The looters have guns too. I'd rather someone take all my stuff than get shot in the face.

Honestly the people buying the guns are likely the ones planning on doing the looting.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
I wonder how many in line already have multiple guns but are buying more.
A lot im sure though i do know a guy who works for a sporting goods store who mentioned he had more first time gun buyers in the last 2 weeks than hes had in his 7 years of working there.
I'd rather someone take all my stuff than get shot in the face.
Having someone take your suplys might lead you or someone you love to dying because of that. People are losing their jobs and running out of money. What they have might literally be all that they have and government programs and facilities are getting swamped.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If supply lines for food start breaking down and families start to go hungry, you'd be a fool not to have something to protect you and your loved ones with.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot im sure though i do know a guy who works for a sporting goods store who mentioned he had more first time gun buyers in the last 2 weeks than hes had in his 7 years of working there.

Having someone take your suplys might lead you or someone you love to dying because of that. People are losing their jobs and running out of money. What they have might literally be all that they have and government programs and facilities are getting swamped.

I'm glad I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the extreme unlikihood that someone would brazenly rob my house while I'm home then. Even if I did have a gun, like I said, I'd rather not get shot in the face, and I'd also rather not murder someone in defense of the goods in my house.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every gun owner in America seems to think they're an exception to the problems caused by guns. If you own a gun, you're part of the problem. Stop trying to rationalize it.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the extreme unlikihood that someone would brazenly rob my house while I'm home then. Even if I did have a gun, like I said, I'd rather not get shot in the face, and I'd also rather not murder someone in defense of the goods in my house.
Pacifism contains no nutritional value.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Every gun owner in America seems to think they're an exception to the problems caused by guns. If you own a gun, you're part of the problem. Stop trying to rationalize it.

Guns are not going to disappear in the near future in America. Because they are so common I don't blame people for owning a gun to protect their family.