• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
what-the-hell-was-that-smoking.gif

I mean, that's all I really have to post. Well that and

latest

What else can we say

Terry Crews was in the movie somehow.

We got like, 10 minutes of Jeremy Irons.

Laura Dern was being put through it.

Like I think I could trace there was something of an old Polish curse bleeding into Hollywood, the usual dreamlike confusion of a lynch world, a dark force being defeated. But even by his standards this one was pondering. Exceedingly so.

I took a nap in the middle once we started getting lost between universes. Shout out to the bunny dudes, they seemed vacant but they were alright

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I say, he come to reapin what he been sowin, that's what.

They say, fucker been sowin' some kinda heavy shit.

SaulForex

Oct 25, 2017
INLAND EMPIRE

Straaaaaaangeeeeee what loooove doooooeees

The important part was that you experienced, let it seep in and wash over.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
Good dang movie. Really love how uncanny the early digital video artifacting makes the whole thing. I really want to rewatch it either less or much more high than I was the first time I saw it

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
FINALLY got around to watching this for the first time this week (it's on MAX). Loved it. One of the few instances where that mid 2000s digital ugliness works for a film. Upper tier Lynch for me.

SaulForex

Oct 25, 2017
Purchased the DVD many years ago from the David Lynch website. Janus did a really good job with the AI upscale for the Blu-ray release.

If anyone has the opportunity, take a look at the extra features. The quinoa segment and other "Room to Dream" era shorts are top notch.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
It's a strange one for sure, not my favorite Lynch film by any means but it's grown on me after a few viewings. It sort of feels like the conclusion of a loose thematically-related trilogy along with Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being on edge the whole movie and then for some reason the subtitles of my shitty 2008 rip said "thank you for watching" so I relaxed, and then turns out there's 30 more minutes of film after the last line with that part. I was not having a good time.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
Sep 18, 2023
I bet the people who make Disco Elysium would be super fucking bummed at a bunch of fans of their game going "oh, the thing in your game was referencing a movie the devs think rules? I couldn't be bothered"

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I bet the people who make Disco Elysium would be super fucking bummed at a bunch of fans of their game going "oh, the thing in your game was referencing a movie the devs think rules? I couldn't be bothered"
I don't base my referential jokes on the opinions of the creators of the media I reference to make them.

Elsewise I could never make a Lovecraft Joke again.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen it since I saw it in the theatre... jeez almost 20 years ago?
As a fan of Lynch, I enjoyed it, but still couldn't give you a solid synopsis of what the hell was going on.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
One of the scariest movies ever made. Lynch at his cruelest and most untethered, but by the end I think it wraps around to being his most heartfelt and poignant film. Seeing it at the Music Box was a truly special treat.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched The Straight Story last weekend. Ironically it is the weirdest of Lynch's films when considering his body of work

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Purchased the DVD many years ago from the David Lynch website. Janus did a really good job with the AI upscale for the Blu-ray release.

If anyone has the opportunity, take a look at the extra features. The quinoa segment and other "Room to Dream" era shorts are top notch.

Yes the home video release has another 75 minutes of scenes called "More Things that Happened".

I also remember getting a free promo DVD (called Room to Dream) about Lynch shooting on digital and digital workflow and it was clearly done during Inland Empire because it had a short with cast members from Inland Empire, could have been another scene in the film.

View: https://youtu.be/OrTMzT4EiT0?si=Y6KVdM-KuSSZazKd

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
movie was so boring. i grew up in the inland empire and it was just the same shit i'd see every day.

EchizenKurage

Apr 4, 2024
Dallas, TX
Seeing this in theaters was an indescribably intense experience. Maybe the most intense outside of childhood. my friend and I were in an actual trance, couldn't find our car, almost got hit by cars, just surrealed out from what we just saw

OP
OP
WhateverItTakes
Oct 25, 2017
I must admit the thread is a lot more positive about the movie than I thought it would be, which is cool. I don't think I liked it as much while watching, but the imagery sticks with you so hard, it's a bit undeniable that there's really something to it. The man does mood like noone else.

I will say, I committed a cardinal sin. So my fiance has played Disco Elysium. So going through my Lynch box set, this was the one she wanted to watch with me. And I had convinced myself this was going to be a 90 minute movie. So to say I put her in at the deep end is an understatement.

But still, mildly traumatised as she was, she was up for watching Mulholland Drive tonight. I'll tell you, after watching Inland Empire, Mulholland Drive is downright coherent. And I was so glad that my current self cam appreciate that film 10 times better than my teenage self.

movie was so boring. i grew up in the inland empire and it was just the same shit i'd see every day.

My dude, how do you graduate high school when you were falling into nightmare dreamscapes every day.