• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but also these games are really old for that conversation - I know most people don't know that DDR/Star Ocean 3/Persona 3 all use that same 'dance and i'll put you in a trance' (dorm music) sample, closest thing that comes to mind.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but also these games are really old for that conversation - I know most people don't know that DDR/Star Ocean 3/Persona 3 all use that same 'dance and i'll put you in a trance' (dorm music) sample, closest thing that comes to mind.

It also shows up in Xenoblade X, insanely.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Likely reusing library samples, just like this guitar riff that shows up in these 3 random games from 3 different companies

www.youtube.com

Tekken 3 - "Paul Phoenix's Theme (Arcade Ver.) (Extended)" [1080p]

An extended version of Paul's arcade theme from T3‣ Game: Tekken 3 (鉄拳3, Tekken surī)‣ Track: Paul Phoenix (Arcade Version)‣ Composer: Nobuyoshi Sano‣ Year: ...

www.youtube.com

Driver 2 Soundtrack - Chicago at Night (HQ)

All credits to Allister Brimble, check him out at https://allisterbrimble.bandcamp.com/Extracted .XM files from MUSIC.BIN, to OpenMPT, to FLAC. Perfect timin...

OP
OP
Prelude

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with your example, but it's pretty common to hear the same sample used in multiple games/songs but it's kind of interesting that the DMC track uses more than one in an ambient track that similar.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I remember watching a video on sample libraries a while back, IIRC one of the DMC3 songs is also in other games just due to a shared sample library

It's way more common than we would assume

Edit: found the video, it was DMC1 like others have mentioned. There's a ton of obvious samples

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Lmao

I actually know this because when I played Persona 3 Portable back in 2012 - I was like this sounds exactly like Star Ocean 3's battle theme that takes place later in the game...and it really was.

Played Star Ocean 3 back when it first came out lol

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
There it is. They're from Zero-G - Ambient.
Also found an article at this link to expand upon that.

Rate Your Music link said:
While browsing over Ghost in the Machine, I found it odd yet fitting that Half-Life 2, Silent Hill 2, & Postal in a sense share a common musical ancestor through the "album". So based off my fascination with this connection I started this list cataloguing video game OST's that utilize Zero G samples to see if there are any other soundtracks that sample these sound resources. I will only be including soundtracks exclusively made for the video game so a soundtrack for a game like Just Dance 3 will not be on this list despite having Da Funk (which utilizes Datafile Three: Hit 1 by Zero G) because Da Funk was not made for Just Dance 3. In the event that the games OST cannot be found on RYM, the Glitchwave page for the game shall be cited instead with the composer's name listed before the samples. This is by no means a complete list and if you have any sources that could contribute to it, I'd recommend you place them in the comment box.

The common link shared between Devil May Cry and Half-Life is Ghost in the Machine by Cuckooland, which you can find as part of Zero-G's Altered States collection.

zero-g.co.uk

Cuckooland Ghost In The Machine

Dark, menacing, mind-altering, heavenly, extraordinary... This library is packed with some of the most amazing textures and effects ever created.

zero-g.co.uk

Altered States

Conceived as a soundtrack composer's dream library, it's the product of thousands of hours of extremely organic, unique, creative, and virtuoso sound design.

OP
OP
Prelude

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Also found an article at this link to expand upon that.

The common link shared between Devil May Cry and Half-Life is Ghost in the Machine by Cuckooland, which you can find as part of Zero-G's Altered States collection.

zero-g.co.uk

Cuckooland Ghost In The Machine

Dark, menacing, mind-altering, heavenly, extraordinary... This library is packed with some of the most amazing textures and effects ever created.

zero-g.co.uk

Altered States

Conceived as a soundtrack composer's dream library, it's the product of thousands of hours of extremely organic, unique, creative, and virtuoso sound design.
Isn't it "Ambient"? At least for the common samples "Deep Sea Atmos" and "Ominous Sea Cave" in the OP.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 1 - Ancient Castle Stage and Resident Evil 4 - Serenity also share a sample.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it "Ambient"? At least for the common samples "Deep Sea Atmos" and "Ominous Sea Cave" in the OP.
My comment was a general statement based on the information from the linked article that showed that both games used samples from Ghost in the Machine. I didn't mean to imply that it was the only sample CD that was used.

For the record, both games used more than one sample CD!

At around 1:39, the first video I linked shows that samples from "Ambient" were used for Space Ocean.

View: https://youtu.be/odXWmLYHiWQ?t=99

According to another list that covers the use of that era's sample CDs and video games, for ST-05 ("Green Garden") in Devil May Cry, the track used is named "DungeonSlowMoTrampoline" from the "Ambience" sample CD.

Samples used in anime/game music - VGMdb Forums

Samples used in anime/game music Miscellaneous Discussion
(you need to click on "Index: Show" to see the list of games)

vgmdb.net link said:
Devil May Cry
  • "Riff 33 34-01" from "Sony MediaSoftware: Methods of Mayhem Industrial Toolkit" was used in 1.01 "LET'S ROCK! (タイトル)"; 1.22 "LOCK & LOAD (ブレイド登場~汎用戦闘②)"; 2.38 "LOCK & LOAD ORIGINAL"
  • "DARK BROOD" from "Spectrasonics: Distorted Reality 2" was used in 1.04 "GM-01 (ミッションスタート Ver.1)"
  • "To Burble & Pine" from "Sonic Foundry: Pandora's Toolbox" was used in 1.05 "ST-01 (古城ステージ)"
  • "NITERAILS3" from "Spectrasonics: Distorted Reality 2" was used in 1.13 "RED-HOT JUICE (ファントム登場~戦闘)"
  • "INSURRECT" from "Spectrasonics: Distorted Reality 2" was used in 1.13 "RED-HOT JUICE (ファントム登場~戦闘)"
  • "Witch Doctor-D#2" from "Zero-G: Cuckooland 'ghost in the machine'" was used in 1.18 "ST-04 (古城地下ステージ)" (0:14)
  • "Is that the Door-G#3" from "Zero-G: Cuckooland 'ghost in the machine'" was used in 1.18 "ST-04 (古城地下ステージ)" (0:26)
  • "DungeonSlowMoTrampoline" from "Zero-G: Cuckooland Ambience" was used in 1.26 "ST-05 (グリーンガーデン)"
  • "Introverts Eyes-B2" from "Zero-G: Ghost in the Machine" was used in 2.07 "EV-17 (真実)"
  • "Gothic Dream" (on the "Composer" ROM) from "E-mu: Proteus 2000" was used in 2.09 "EVIL VACCUUM (魔界)"
  • "USURPER 2" from "Spectrasonics: Distorted Reality 2" was used in 2.37 "S (スパーダ戦闘②)" (0:02)
  • "TOMATOSPAC" from "Spectrasonics: Distorted Reality 2" was used in "Special Item" (not on any official soundtrack)

And here's how that sounds:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PpXtibGV-Y

While Zero-G has a history of repackaging its sample libraries, the above tracks are from different libraries. The Ambient library was by sound designer Ian Boddy and the Ambience library was by Cuckooland. The Altered States collection contains both of those libraries, among others.

Given the era, both Ian Boddy and Cuckooland would have presumably had access to the same hardware, and so while their sounds wouldn't be identical, there could have been some similarities.

To add, at around 2:36 of the second video, it's shown that the "DungeonSlowMoTrampoline" track (though it's displayed as "Dungeon Trampoline" in the video) was used in Half-Life 2.

View: https://youtu.be/Na02e0Fya9Q?t=156

So you could say that HL2 basically has a song from DMC1.😄

Here's a cool video on sampling in video game music, with coverage of the use of sample CDs starting around the 3:00 mark. Sample CDs sure got around.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za5ohTiLuKg