• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the interesting thing about James. James was always the feminine boy to Jessie's masculine girl. While there's nothing that says that he is gay in the show, his second voice actor, Eric Stuart played him as though he was.

Not to mention that James was always crossdressing as a girl. (My first memory of him is dressed as a girl saying "Cooooool".)

But honestly, I think the portrayal of James in Pokemon helped kids such as myself become more tolerant towards people like him. James was different, but he was still a person and the episode that shows his rich, controlling parents is one of my favorites from the original series.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I never really thought about it. As a kid his portrayal or his costumes never registered to me like he was different.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
honestly, both Jessie and James are bi in my head lol

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
ZDyko6m.jpg

We stan for our trans/queer icon!

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I think he had a wife(from an an arranged marraige that he ran away from if i remember right lol)

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah his parents arranged a marriage and that's why he ran away and joined Team Rocket

... which brings more questions lol
Not really. That episode showed that his wife to be, Jessebelle was a huge bitch and even insulted his beloved Growlithe.

She looks just like Jessie which is kind of funny, and i think the point was that he left his arranged marriage to go after Jessie in Team Rocket.
Honestly though, now that i'm reading Bulbapedia for both Jessie and James, their origins kind of blend together with each new series so i don't know if there was any one particular instance that kind of swayed them to go to Team Rocket.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
James has blue hair and Jesse has violet hair just like the bi flag, coincidence? I THINK NOT

Edit: ok not violet hair but I don't know the expecific word for her hair color lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, what comes to my mind with the question in the OP is that he has a rival named Butch.

Well, both Jessie and James are highly theatrical, especially echoing the tradition of Japanese theater. This has always encouraged character designers to defy conventions and break molds with them.

Even if they were not originally intended to be bi or non-binary in terms of their personal identities, the way they function makes them by design perfect for such an interpretation.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Jess and James are non-gender-conforming icons for a reason 👍 There are fan artists who almost exclusively draw them

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
kids such as myself become more tolerant towards people like him. James was different, but he was still a person
In the future could you be a little more careful of your phrasing. You may not meant it but your still othering him. Between the more tolerant and different your basically saying he's not normal but you learned to tolerate him. Queer people may be lower in numbers but we are just as normal and part of the cycle of life as everyone else, and we need to be accepted full stop, not tolerated.

As for the character themselves I never really got too into Pokémon I was just above the age when it debuted, but I have always liked what I saw of team rocket, always got major trans vibes off them, and considering how little positive representation trans people get in media even to this day I am going to take it that way even if it's unintentional.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the future could you be a little more careful of your phrasing. You may not meant it but your still othering him. Between the more tolerant and different your basically saying he's not normal but you learned to tolerate him. Queer people may be lower in numbers but we are just as normal and part of the cycle of life as everyone else, and we need to be accepted full stop, not tolerated.

As for the character themselves I never really got too into Pokémon I was just above the age when it debuted, but I have always liked what I saw of team rocket, always got major trans vibes off them, and considering how little positive representation trans people get in media even to this day I am going to take it that way even if it's unintentional.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean it in a negative way.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jessie and James are ultimately different characters than Musashi and Kojiro, though. The Pokémon dub makes enough changes that it should probably be classed as an adaptation in its own right.

Yeah, in the Japanese version they make jokes that Japanese children would get, 4Kids changed it to be something American kids would get.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

As a non-conforming kid it was the first time I saw something like that, and the in-universe acceptance was so good, no one cared at all. Pokemon is my favorite IP to this day.

e52f3e8ec100e9b4ffb8eae6b15b7afe.jpg

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute icons, both of them. I need to go rewatch the original couple series again at some point.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Jessie and James are ultimately different characters than Musashi and Kojiro, though. The Pokémon dub makes enough changes that it should probably be classed as an adaptation in its own right.
That was pretty much most anime that was televised in North America in the '90s. Sailor Moon was heavily adapted as well in certain aspects, as was Dragon Ball Z.