• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Street Fighter x Tekken is one of favorite fighting games. Yeah, it has a lot of faults, but the way combos work in that game is really fun. Kazuya/Heihachi are so damn good that it makes me sad that I'll never get to play them in another game again

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The final version isn't bad, but the game was long dead to me by then.

Its a fun Vita game though, of the best fighters on that system. I think I either got it free or for just a few bucks.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it. I wasn't familiar with Tekken so that many new characters was a big selling point.

Those launch version timeouts were rough

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Tekken x SF is happening. Akuma doesn't really work for Tekken in terms of balance, he's always been a strong character and even after all the nerfs he's still strong. These games just don't really mix like that

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
I liked SFxT. The Tekken roster made it enjoyable to me.

Hell, I preferred playing it over SF4 in its entirety.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
To this day, I cannot believe how anyone approved that awful gem system. Game was more fun than any recent SF(after it was updated), which is a shame how it got ruined by that one thing

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Super fun game but with some really fatal flaws. I love how they translated the Tekken characters into 2D/SF versions and those costumes were sick. Secretly wishing/waiting for a remastermake (ideally with changes in gameplay and a little graphics overhaul).

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Loving the SfxT appreciation in this thread, I'll echo others and say it's easily one my favorite fighting games ever and I really wish Capcom stuck the landing with this game, as I don't see it ever having a future.

Id go as far to say I actually really enjoyed the idea of the gem system and some of the ways it was implemented, but the ways it came up short were far too unbalanced and that killed it before it had a chance. I also enjoyed it a lot more than SF4 which I played a lot at the time as well.

This was the video I saw years ago about the assist gems that further underscored my decision to avoid SFxT. Nothing about these assist gems looks "super shitty." Being able to totally negate cross ups and mixups for minimal meter usage while just walking forward? That sounds (and looks) pretty damn useful.

Saw you've gotten replies to this already and wanted to add mine: can't speak for anyone else but this never happened once the entire time I played the game ranked online.

Now, stacking attack gems for ridiculous damage? I remember that being a thing. Hugo was straight up scary if grapplers are a weak point like myself and Rolento's pokes hurt a lot more than they should have, but overall you stopped seeing auto block gems and auto combo gems pretty much completely after like C+ in ranked if I'm remembering correctly, maybe even lower. I would think it would be because even with this being possible it wasn't worth taking off some of the other gems.

you forgot the best one
uqvlckesoj0d.png

How could I forget this? That's still amazing.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Still hoping that we can see Namco's take on the collab, some day. Especially after Akuma and the other "2D" style character in T7, it just always seemed like were "prepping" their scene for when they'll be fighting against that kind of thing all the time in an actual crossover title.

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
No one asked for Street Fighter X Tekken in the first place. It wasn't a bad game in my opinion, but Capcom needed a flop to realize that the FGC wasn't going to eat every kind of shitty practice they could make up.
Can people stop saying this. Some of the best things in life were created without people having asked for it.

If people only made things that someone asked for, we would have a few genuinely good things and a whole lot of shit, especially when it comes to "Gamers" and video games.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
This game didn't just deserve to die after what they tried to pull with the gems. It needed to.

Capcom might have over-corrected for the "jab X time-out" complaints when they made crush counters in SF5 though.

SFxT has to be top 10 ugliest artistic direction in fighting games
Take the already ugly aesthetic of SFIV and crank the saturation up to 11. Bleh.

Oct 25, 2017
The game had its chance and it still has some fans that continue to play it, like a lot of other niche fighting games.

In my local community we gave it a good push and it was our main game for the launch period. During events it was a pretty regular thing to see people in the back having fun playing SF4 whilst the SFxT bracket was being run, and eventually SF4 took over again as SFxT just didn't generate the same level of enthusiasm or engagement.

As someone who spent a lot of time playing SF4, SFxT, SFV, Tag 2 and Tekken 7 I know which games out of that list that I'd still go back to for a decent set with friends and which of those I would only really go back to out of a sense of morbid curiosity.

I think Capcom clearly took one big lesson from SFxT and that was to try and stick to only one big fighting game in the SF model at any one time. Running two in the modern era of fighting games was a mistake.

Oct 26, 2017
By the time the patched version came out with the rest of the DLC, nobody cared anymore. The initial version turned off so many people that they just weren't willing to give the game a chance once it actually got really good.

Oh well. Won't be the first, or last time that happens to a fighting game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
By the time the patched version came out with the rest of the DLC, nobody cared anymore. The initial version turned off so many people that they just weren't willing to give the game a chance once it actually got really good.

Oh well. Won't be the first, or last time that happens to a fighting game.
It's a shame discord wasn't around and kicking back then

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
No one asked for Street Fighter X Tekken in the first place. It wasn't a bad game in my opinion, but Capcom needed a flop to realize that the FGC wasn't going to eat every kind of shitty practice they could make up.
No one wanted a crossover between the two biggest fighting game franchises (that aren't Smash. MK just had the reboot but wasn't at the level it's at now)?

Riiiiight...

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
One thing Street Fighter x Tekken did that I wish other games would try too was the customization of colors for your character. Of course, the game being SFxT, Capcom had to make some stupid decision about it and only had like two rows of colors at launch and they unlocked the rest over time, like a new row every 2 weeks or every month. It was incredibly dumb.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing Street Fighter x Tekken did that I wish other games would try too was the customization of colors for your character. Of course, the game being SFxT, Capcom had to make some stupid decision about it and only had like two rows of colors at launch and they unlocked the rest over time, like a new row every 2 weeks or every month. It was incredibly dumb.
Don't forget all the dumbass hyper glowy colors

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Im pretty sure akuma being in tekken 7 was a test but also to appease fans who still want TxSF. "Hey guys, we arent making TekkenXStreet Fighter, but heres a shoto in tekken. Please enjoy and let go of TxSF."

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
SFxT after the 2013? update was easily the best FG last gen. Such a fun game, and they managed to bring the Tekken characters over so damn well.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
SFxT without the gems would've been one of the best games in the genre. Capcom should be commended for translating the Tekken characters so well to 2D.

I'm still waiting for them to copy and paste Steve Fox's moveset to a Street Fighter 5 (or 6 now I guess) character. I was hoping they were going to give Ed some of his moves, but alas...

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
This game was so hilariously anti-consumer lmao

One of the biggest examples is how they totally fucked over anyone who only owned an Xbox 360. The PS3/Vita version has five whole fucking console exclusive characters.

Cole
Toro
Kuro
Mega Man
Pac-Man

Like the first three are first party Sony characters so them being exclusive makes sense, but why the fuck were 360 users barred off from Mega Man and Pac-Man? At this point, Capcom was literally just sucking Sony off hard. To top it off, there's also the whole ordeal with the 12 DLC (aka Disk-Locked Content) characters that you could get for free...by getting the Vita version and using the accompanying download code for PS3. Jesus christ.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one wanted a crossover between the two biggest fighting game franchises (that aren't Smash. MK just had the reboot but wasn't at the level it's at now)?

Riiiiight...
Well, the game flopped both competitively and sales-wise for Capcom, so i guess i'm right :). Feel free to prove me wrong with some datas.

(To be fair, i mostly have an issue with the whole "Tekken and SF players always wanted to know which player is the best" marketing plot they tried to sell the game on. It wasn't real at all lol)

Last edited:

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing about this were the lore trailers. Bison/devil jin and king/Marduk vs Hugo are still dope to this day

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They did a great job with the Tekken characters design wise and gameplay making some of them actually likeable.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter x Tekken should have been SO GOOD, but with the gem system no one wanted, the weird stuff surrounding the time locked Vita characters, and it being peak on-disc DLC era Capcom... woof.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Capcom's takes on Tekken characters were really fun. Could've been something if they hadn't shat the bed with the gems.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
The game rules. They nailed making the game a mix of both respective series by adding the Street Fighter footies with the Tekken juggles. Making it a 2v2 was a solid choice too. The gem stuff was kinda wack at first but they managed to figure it out. Making the game 2v2 competitively in the beginning didn't help either. Not to mention the DLC controversy. Looking at the game with all that behind us I can safely say that the game is great. I hope this isn't the last time both companies come together to make a fighting game.