• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Island

May 11, 2020
I wish he didn't say this but this is a huge yawn fest. It was a bad joke but it is absolutely hilarious that Trump thinks people will just forget the years and years of his racist actions and focus on a lame joke. Bottom line, the vast majority of outrage is not coming from the black community. I'm another minority who Trump has treated like garbage- if he made a bad joke about brown folks I'd still run to vote for him in November.

This "controversy" will enrage people who didn't like Biden (hint- there's a lot of overlap in the posters in this thread and other threads critical of Biden). The very online left may be annoyed but as always, this is not going to register like most people here think it will.

Wanda Sykes has a better grasp of the impact of this situation than the vast majority of the thread.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
I'm all in for Biden. This was clearly a joke. Now compare that to the insensitive remarks Trump has made. Biden wasn't my first or 2nd choice. But the Democratic party obviously wants him. Its a safe bet to beat Trump.

The thought of 4 more years of Trump is something I can't fathom. I know a lot of shit has happened in 4 years but good god people. Wake up. If this pandemic shitshow doesn't scare you wait until he gets 4 more years with complete control.

I can't stomach that. I will vote for Biden no matter what.

Nov 14, 2017
It's black text on a white background, an 18 second video and two sentences pushed up onto a shopify store. Someone ran an image through an automated process haphazardly placed it on some shirts. If you think that requires a "well resourced machine," I'm sorry. You probably put more effort into posting that than is required to get that product up.
To be clear, I have no doubt that a bunch of posters on this site could whip up a suite of similarly lazy content in a fraction of the time. It's the turnaround time on pitching/concepting, implementation and publication from a large national campaign that is noteworthy. That they have no shame probably helps in this regard.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
God it's absolute insanity my Trump supporting mom is sharing a fucking Breitbart article about this with 10 quotes to show how Biden is racist. The fucking cajones on Breitbart for that shit is astounding. One quote was Biden saying Obama was bright and clean. Problematic and insensitive? Absolutely. Compared with Trump's incessant campaign to prove Obama wasn't even born here though it's just maddening.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's really a gaffe, if the premise of the "joke" is something Biden and most of the party legitimately believe. And this is the justification for why Biden doesn't need to answer more questions or respond to critics. This is all combined with the fact that I have watched Biden on the campaign trail get angry and say dismissively "then vote for Trump" to people asking him about his immigration record.

Biden is saying "I have you over a barrel. What are you doing to do? Vote for Trump?"
Biden would fit right in with this internet thing.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I heard the interview a bit ago, and I'm more worried about this:

Biden has been an enabler of the worst aspects of racism.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about any true believers not voting. Anyone that's doing Green/Libertarian Party stuff, anyone doing rose/activist Twitter, anyone that already wasn't going to vote or wasn't going to vote for Biden wasn't going to be convinced to do anything different - they'd only have their positions galvanized when stuff like this happens anyway. It's one click of the profile like that and you can see what the deal is.

I'm more worried about regular people getting convinced by unforced errors like this, and them getting memed into further problems (like "Kamala is a Cop" type stuff), since they only poison the well. Again, like I've said many times in this thread, this was a shit thing he said, he should be criticized for it, and what makes it truly bad is not whether or not he "meant it", but rather that it will be weaponized to divide and depress the votes of Black people (and also give cover/help increase turnout of non-Black people who want to vote Trump with cover since "both sides are racist")

dimelo

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
MIA
Fuck Biden, he's been on the wrong side of every issue regarding the black community his entire political career. He ain't gonna do shit for us because he doesn't have to. That's what happens when you blindly give politicians your support no matter what.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there's any positive to draw from this, it's that he admitted wrong and apologized. Trump would never do that. I know that's much but I gotta get positives where I can.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Fuck Biden, he's been on the wrong side of every issue regarding the black community his entire political career. He ain't gonna do shit for us because he doesn't have to. That's what happens when you blindly give politicians your support no matter what.
I have my qualms with Biden too, but ya'll can't just throw this out there when he was a senator in Delaware. Exit polls also show that he was far and away the majority pick for black voters too.

Biden has credited his early years in Delaware politics as formative, particularly the community known as "The Bucket," the largely African American, downtrodden northeast Wilmington neighborhood that was home to housing projects, crime, drugs and violence. He returned to the area as a young lawyer during the 1968 Wilmington riots after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. He represented the community of New Castle as a county councilman, supporting public housing and opposing highway projects he saw as potentially harmful to black neighborhoods.

After his election to the U.S. Senate in 1972, Biden remained a fixture in the black community, a regular at the annual NAACP dinner and a commencement speaker at historically black Delaware State University. He talked to everyone, including the wait staff, according to people who knew him at the time. Most important, he listened, recalled Delaware State's provost and incoming president, Tony Allen, who served as Biden's speechwriter and special assistant when Biden was in the Senate

apnews.com

‘I know Joe’s heart’: Why black voters are backing Joe Biden

After Kamala Harris challenged Joe Biden’s past opposition to school busing in a nationally televised Democratic presidential debate, the former vice president who prides himself on strong relationships in the black community was in an unfamiliar place, playing defense on race.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
He wasn't on the wrong side of gay marriage. Speaking from experience.

Look, Biden has taken some shit stances. Especially in hindsight. That can't be denied. But I also don't think that should be used to erase his entire political career and the good things he's done.

Here's how I look at it. There are a lot of Black politicians who I have a great deal of respect for. Black leaders who have been doing the work for years and have backed Biden. That alone for me is enough to give this man a second look. I'm not going to tell another Black person to not feel the way they feel, but at the same time, I would ask those same Black people to ask themselves, if there is any Black person in politics whom they respect, if it's worth giving Biden any sort of grace if those same Black leaders support him and are asking you to do the same?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I see we've entered the "as a Black man I *insert -poor attempt to downplay all the other Black posters saying it's discriminatory- here*" phase. Page 11 is a little later than normal so that's a plus I guess.

This is basically why I've avoided this thread, and honestly expect nothing less from some people of my skin color on this forum.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in for Biden. This was clearly a joke. Now compare that to the insensitive remarks Trump has made. Biden wasn't my first or 2nd choice. But the Democratic party obviously wants him. Its a safe bet to beat Trump.

The thought of 4 more years of Trump is something I can't fathom. I know a lot of shit has happened in 4 years but good god people. Wake up. If this pandemic shitshow doesn't scare you wait until he gets 4 more years with complete control.

I can't stomach that. I will vote for Biden no matter what.
We know it's a joke, it's a shitty one I've been hearing since middle school and I don't owe it to anyone to let that shit slide.
Yes, Trump is bad, but I'm not comfortable letting Biden coast on being the lesser of two evils.
I will vote Biden, but again, I'm not comfortable letting him coast on being the lesser of two evils and will criticize him on past, present and future fuck ups.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
We know it's a joke, it's a shitty one I've been hearing since middle school and I don't owe it to anyone to let that shit slide.
Yes, Trump is bad, but I'm not comfortable letting Biden coast on being the lesser of two evils.
I will vote Biden, but again, I'm not comfortable letting him coast on being the lesser of two evils and will criticize him on past, present and future fuck ups.

This really. Biden still needs called out on his bullshit even if he is the best chance of getting Trump out.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wish he didn't say this but this is a huge yawn fest. It was a bad joke but it is absolutely hilarious that Trump thinks people will just forget the years and years of his racist actions and focus on a lame joke. Bottom line, the vast majority of outrage is not coming from the black community. I'm another minority who Trump has treated like garbage- if he made a bad joke about brown folks I'd still run to vote for him in November.

This "controversy" will enrage people who didn't like Biden (hint- there's a lot of overlap in the posters in this thread and other threads critical of Biden). The very online left may be annoyed but as always, this is not going to register like most people here think it will.

Wanda Sykes has a better grasp of the impact of this situation than the vast majority of the thread.

Facts. And I can only speak for myself but to me it's like:

Priority 1: Deal with Trump

Priority 2: All other priorities temporarily rescinded until Priority 1 has been completed.

Biden isn't who I'd like. For this exact reason and many many many others. But given what it is I feel like I have no alternative. That's what sucks about this - The American political system has some issues when these are our best choices.

This really. Biden still needs called out on his bullshit even if he is the best chance of getting Trump out.

I can't disagree. He should know better and calling him out will at least check him going forward. Cause you best believe Republicans won't bat an eyelash about anything Trump has said but will discuss this over and over.

Last edited:

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Remember when Trump bragged that he'd get voted for even if he shot somebody in broad daylight? This is the Joe Biden version.

"I can be as non-progressive and racist as I want, but you have to vote for me anyways because I can guarantee Trump is even worse than I am"

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when Trump bragged that he'd get voted for even if he shot somebody in broad daylight? This is the Joe Biden version.

"I can be as non-progressive and racist as I want, but you have to vote for me anyways because I can guarantee Trump is even worse than I am"

We're not celebrating Biden for this in the way Internet Republicans celebrated Trump's comments.

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020
Now he's saying charlamagne baited him into saying that. Smh. He's just digging himself a bigger hole.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me the man who blatantly lied about being arrested in Apartheid South Africa because he was on his way to see Mandela but couldn't even be bothered to look at a map to see just how far Soweto is from Robben Island. Thinks he's entitled to the support of black americans?

Well I am shocked.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh... that "ain't" makes me hate it even more.
35912.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.