• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Got me thinking on this today. The Mario x Sonic games itself never were big, at least critically, but and it came when the Nintendo surfed on the casual crowd of the Wii games. With the Wii U transition Nintendo suffered a lot because their base players basically vanished, but at least the games were fun.

With the Switch growth and, for some reason, the people wanting some party games for the console, I think that a game like that would find a market for it. But then, nothing announced, or even planned for that.

Is the franchise dead for both Nintendo and Sega? Or there some kind of hindrance for that? I mean, I heard some rumours about Ubisoft, but it's not like Ubisoft were doing something apart for Steep.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's dead. They should at least do Tokyo 2020. Because, come on, it's Tokyo.

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Im not wrong, Ubisoft has the olympic license currently (there is an olympics based Steep expansion), so there is a chance Sega can't develop a new M&S this year.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The series has always sold well, they might skip this year as they acclimate to new hardware but i simply cannot imagine its gone for good. The switches motion controll solution is no where near as accurate as a wii mote, so i wonder if that might be a hurdle as the series has always relied on motion controlled gimicks

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sega has the license for the 2020 olympics. Even announced that they are developing (multiple) games.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Winter Olympics are always a smaller deal than the Summer ones, and I wouldn't be surprised if sales reflect that. Could just be a break - if they don't have one for Tokyo 2020 then, yeah, it's dead.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have the rights for this year, there's guaranteed to be a Tokyo 2020 installment though.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft has the Olympic license this year. That's why the previous Mario and Sonic Olympic games had to be delisted on December 26th.

This the first non Mario and Sonic Olympic game since 2012 and the first Olympic video game not published by Sega since 2006.

Basically Ubisoft had a winter sports game and saw the Olympic license as useful while Sega probably doesn't care nearly at the same level to try to keep it.

They'll definitely be a 2020 game.

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The series has always sold well, they might skip this year as they acclimate to new hardware but i simply cannot imagine its gone for good. The switches motion controll solution is no where near as accurate as a wii mote, so i wonder if that might be a hurdle as the series has always relied on motion controlled gimicks

I thought the joycons were more advanced than the motion +.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I would be put off if Nintendo didn't make a wii/switch sports crossover with Mario and Sonic in 2020.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
Wait what? Mario games had to be delisted because of the license? Digital only future can go die in a fire.

At least they can't delist the disc versions...
Seriously. My 6 and 3 year old are having fun with the Vancouver 2010 installment that I own a physical copy of.
Personally I find them fun for about 5 minutes, but I have to respect the large number and variety of events they crammed in.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't Nintendo/Mario involved with the Olympics too?

The Japanese PM came out of a warp-pipe at the end of the 2016 Olympics to accept the torch for 2020, and I'm sure at least Mario will be in the opening ceremony as he's a huge cultural export, but I don't think Nintendo is involved in any official capacity.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Mario games had to be delisted because of the license? Digital only future can go die in a fire.

At least they can't delist the disc versions...

Oh you're right that is kind of crazy that a Mario game was delisted. At the end of the day though it's still technically a licensed game. It's just that Sega had the license for a decade and if Ubisoft doesn't make a winter sports game they would probably still have it.

As for physical versions Mario Rio sold out in the first six months on Wii U so new copies are $80 and used at least $65. Gamestop most likely had a reprinting done last fall so they have plenty of copies for $70 "used".

The rare situation where the launch price digital version was cheaper than a physical copy.

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
I din't think you would get the precision of movements required for ARMS with a Wiimote (regular, not talking about Plus)

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh you're right that is kind of crazy that a Mario game was delisted. At the end of the day though it's still technically a licensed game. It's just that Sega had the license for a decade and if Ubisoft doesn't make a winter sports game they would probably still have it.

As for physical versions Mario Rio sold out in the first six months on Wii U so new copies are $80 and used at least $65. Gamestop most likely had a reprinting done last fall so they have plenty of copies for $70 "used".

The rare situation where the launch price digital version was cheaper than a physical copy.

Both Mario and Sonic Sochi AND Mario and Sonic Rio were delisted. But you can still redownload them thankfully. Rio was probably my most played game on the Wii U and I took hundreds of pictures, I am currently remastering the images with Waifu2X and will be posting them eventually.

I really can't wait for the 2020 entry. Is there a chance for a holiday 2019 release?