• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sad. I've been there for years and watched the decline, semi-rebirth, and then POOF! Gone.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, those were the first forums and community I ever signed up for back in 04? 05? What happened there in particular that caused the decline, or did the rebirth not yield a decent comeback to warrant sticking around?

The only poster I remember from there was Dead Screen Sky (DDS?). Seemed like an Amir0x-ish type in terms of reverence/aggression (not including the pedo surprise obviously) if irc. Was he/she still there?

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
For some reason I thought they were taken offline a long time ago. Maybe there was an overhaul? Or I could be imagining things.

Used to lurk there back in 2006, before I began posting much on the web, and intermittently for a few years after. They had some really interesting ATLA threads. Sucks for whatever community was there at this point.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed that last week but thought it was just maintenance. I rarely went anymore but a month or so ago the ancient trolls had rejoined and mucked things up.

Wow, those were the first forums and community I ever signed up for back in 04? 05? What happened there in particular that caused the decline, or did the rebirth not yield a decent comeback to warrant sticking around?

The only poster I remember from there was Dead Screen Sky (DDS?). Seemed like an Amir0x-ish type in terms of reverence/aggression (not including the pedo surprise obviously) if irc. Was he/she still there?

About the same time I joined. I remember there being a solid 2-3 months of constant jankiness when the site changed formats years ago. Never really recovered. By then I had moved onto AV Club and lurking at the other place. All I know for sure about DSS is I saw someone with the same avatar here or elsewhere that really sounded like them. Gorb was pretty okay.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There was a period from around....2002-2008 or so when the RT forums were maybe the best on the internet IMO. Tons of good posters, quality discussions, etc. Weirdly after that when the site started becoming an even bigger name as far as movie reviews went, it became inexplicably hostile to the forum and kept burying it deeper and deeper on the site, and posters left, and it started to die. IIRC for the last couple years there literally were no links to access the forum from the main page? Lol.

So it's been dead for years, but still sad.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the last several years seemed like it was sent off to die.

I'm still bitter about IMDb closing its forums. I've been using https://www.themoviedb.org/ since then as it has specific forums for each movie, show, cast member etc and it's pretty good. But it'l never replace the old forums.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Imdb hollowing out their forums was such a shit decision.

"We want less traffic!"

Oct 25, 2017
Forums around the board are dying tbh. Mega forums of old like Something Awful or GaiaOnline are shells of their former selves. Only very specific enthusiast forums really prosper in today's day and age.
Are people just "discussing" on reddit and Twitter these days? I can't imagine either providing anywhere near the fulfillment that a robust forum does like Era.

Oct 25, 2017
Flashing back to when people were allowed to comment under review snippets. Those usually weren't nice comments, put me off from exploring the forums.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The RT forums were my internet home for quite some time, it was full of great(the_kid_with_a_helmet and JRSly and numerous others) and terrible people(Fabfunk) and the bizarre(The Rarest Breed, Hello Heino) and was a key part in cultivating my love of film, and it was so sad to watch it wither away and now this.

edit: I was Big Coffin Hunter over there, many moons ago.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why make a forum post when you can make a hilarious tweet and get notifications that make you feel popular

You act like it's a bad thing to see when someone has replied to your post or posted something new in a community you subscribe to. That's shit that should make sense to everyone at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
My fondest internet memories are from RT's heyday. Participating in Donner's Monday Photoshop contests, the TV threads, and genuinely great film discussions were a highlight.

I stop by a couple times a year and it's been pretty sad for ages. Several weeks would go by without a single post in GVGD. I wouldn't have ended up here without it though.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I never posted there, but I'm bummed out by the decline of forums overall. I just do not like discussing shit on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, or wherever else everyone is at these days. All the popular outlets just seem to be popularity contests for whoever can make the quippiest one-liner the fastest.

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit and Twitter do have a lot of academic content. I've been seeing huge megathreads on Twitter lately
But twitter threads feel like sub Web 1.0 at times. I don't want to read some 95-part thread in backwards order with no real organized way to engage discussion with random participants with an ambiguous disarray of retweets, replies and nested conversations. It's utter chaos to me and no replacement for a forum.

I don't challenge the value of educational content on the platform, just the actual platform itself.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
There was a period from around....2002-2008 or so when the RT forums were maybe the best on the internet IMO. Tons of good posters, quality discussions, etc. Weirdly after that when the site started becoming an even bigger name as far as movie reviews went, it became inexplicably hostile to the forum and kept burying it deeper and deeper on the site, and posters left, and it started to die. IIRC for the last couple years there literally were no links to access the forum from the main page? Lol.

So it's been dead for years, but still sad.

You're not kidding about the burying. I had no idea RT even had forums until I saw this thread.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
My fondest internet memories are from RT's heyday. Participating in Donner's Monday Photoshop contests, the TV threads, and genuinely great film discussions were a highlight.

I just google image searched "Riddick photoshop" and the third thing to pop up was the Monday Photoshop Challenge with this:

photo_35_hires.jpg

Good times.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You act like it's a bad thing to see when someone has replied to your post or posted something new in a community you subscribe to. That's shit that should make sense to everyone at this point.

It's not bad, just guessing as to why people might prefer more open platforms like twitter or something.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Are people just "discussing" on reddit and Twitter these days? I can't imagine either providing anywhere near the fulfillment that a robust forum does like Era.

I wonder if this just means that forums are actually reverting to what they used to be before. Back in the elder days of the Internet, before the Web when newsgroups on Usenet like .alt used to exist for a special kind of nerd. Forums are just specialized again, and general communication now happens on social media.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
But twitter threads feel like sub Web 1.0 at times. I don't want to read some 95-part thread in backwards order with no real organized way to engage discussion with random participants with an ambiguous disarray of retweets, replies and nested conversations. It's utter chaos to me and no replacement for a forum.

Back in the days when I still took Twitter half-seriously I recall a third-party utility called storify that you could use to package tweets into an easily readable bundle. It looked quite handy though I never got to grips with it myself. It seems to have fallen out of fashion, because all I see these days is those huge tweetstorms.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I never posted there, but I'm bummed out by the decline of forums overall. I just do not like discussing shit on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, or wherever else everyone is at these days. All the popular outlets just seem to be popularity contests for whoever can make the quippiest one-liner the fastest.
Which is why I'm so glad this place exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense. The forums for older films were full of great, great stuff.
Kind of agreed. Really niche films had some interesting stuff, and sometimes there was some good obscure tidbits to be found there and there only, not in the Trivia section or other places online. In some FMV games that were listed, someone once posted an interview with a local paper that wasn't online about one of the actors. Stuff like that could sometimes be found, but of course not in the comic book garbage or major film stuff.

They also were really neat for a "where are they now" for one-off actors who never got famous or did anything of note. Like, it was interesting to see where the cast of Phantasmagoria ended up since most never worked again.

Oct 25, 2017
Older Forums were cool. I talked about this back in the thread "The Web Began Dying". But this is a product of the monopolization of internet traffic. There's less of a need for any one specific thing to have a forum when reddit has such a huge established user base and communities there form for everything pretty quickly.