• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What the hell was a company thinking, making billions on software and games, making this shitty software?
I just tried to get to my library to uninstall FFVII Remake to make room for Baldurs Gate 3 and SF6.

First, every time I start this damn launcher up it requires me to log in. Then it needed an update. Fine.
I logged in, the update was done and then it still took like 5 minutes "loading", until I could access my account and Library.

So after that shit I uninstalled the game to make room on my ssd. And it did uninstall.
Except the ssd space wasn't freed up...despite all the folders of Epic Games and FFVII, were empty.
So I restarted my PC. And then the memory was cleared up.

You know what happens when I click on the Steam icon on my desktop? It loads up Steam in a second and I can manage my games in a second.
I can start them, download them or uninstall them in a matter of seconds.
That's why it dominates.

This shit is not "just another launcher". I'm happy to buy from GoG and even have the damn EA Launcher to play my Gamepass games.
But Epic is just the worst option every time.

I hope they fail and fold in the next few years. I don't even mind losing a handful of games for that.

I'm sorry for opening this can of worms yet again, but I just needed to vent a bit.
And tell everyone to stay away from the Epic Launcher. Even if they give you free games.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Steam usually take me about 10 seconds to load, after about 5 seconds of doing nothing when I first launch it.

Epic, as you said, is a slow launcher as well.

They all seem slow to me. I think Battlenet wins the speed test, if you want to call it that.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
It's shit but whilst stuff like this is every now and then on Xbox it's only the second worse (At least I kinda get good value for money).

(Anyone got a fix too? I tried all the solutions a MS person suggested on their page and still not working; reinstalled, re installed MS services, deleted everything relating to it and reinstalled).

XBOX.png

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You know what happens when I click on the Steam icon on my desktop? It loads up Steam in a second and I can manage my games in a second.
That's why it dominates.
I'm being nitpicky here but since you brought up Epic as having an update at launch, not like this is foreign to Steam either šŸ«£

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
seriously, they can avoid like 90% of the backlash if they invest just a little into their launcher.

5 years later, its almost the same broken mess as it was the day it launched.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverā„¢
Sep 24, 2019
What the hell was a company thinking, making billions on software and games, making this shitty software?
It begins and ends with their billionaire having a weird, personal obsession with the other company's billionaire, so he tried to undercut with paid exclusives to brute force some form of "competition" where his efforts are to put up a lemonade stand that consumers are forced to go to if he chooses to drops a dump truck full of money off at a publisher's driveway that publishes the game that consumers want to buy.

PennyPasta

Sep 3, 2020
Gamer County
I wish more stuff released on GOG. Think that would fully push me away from using Steam & Epic, neither of which I like all that much. The only useful feature in either of them for me is the playtime tracker, other than that they're just annoying programs I have to click through to play my games.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox store would like to have a word with you. Give me a call when the epic store steals 300+ gb from your hard drive and makes you reformat your pc lol.

Haven't used the epic store and refuse to. Sounds like the second worst easily though

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Steam usually take me about 10 seconds to load, after about 5 seconds of doing nothing when I first launch it.

They all seem slow to me. I think Battlenet wins the speed test, if you want to call it that.

Yea... people that run steam every day all day, having it sit in memory to be brought up instantly, comparing start times with apps they run once a month that have pre-cached nothing and yours is 3 versions behind.

Epic store sucks for a lot of reasons, but it taking a bit to start isn't really at the top of the list.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Use Playnite instead. It can pull in games from all your launchers (Steam/Epic/GOG/etc) and can launch emulated games.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017

The new steam is trash, I have so many issues since the update months ago, it feels like they added ton of bloat ware, while Epic launcher is missing ton of QoL that steam has, it runs better than steam for me right now..

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
new steam update made it incredibly slow for no apparent reason to me

also xbox and legacy launcher are worse

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox store would like to have a word with you. Give me a call when the epic store steals 300+ gb from your hard drive and makes you reformat your pc lol.

Haven't used the epic store and refuse to. Sounds like the second worst easily though
You can delete easily with Treesize. It was eating up all my boot drive the other day and programs were crashing and I lost all my login cookies and stuff. Never had that happen before. Been PC gaming for about 20 years now.

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
Haven't been able to play Fall Guys for over a year now because of a bug in game files verification process. the launcher just cannot download the required files properly. been getting the "Missing Game Files" error upon launching the game since late 2021. it's a shitshow.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
new steam update made it incredibly slow for no apparent reason to me

also xbox and legacy launcher are worse
Was going to say the same about Steam's recent update too. I really dislike it tbh.

Epic is bad, but I haven't run into many issues besides it being slow and featureless

Dec 18, 2017
I don't have any PC launcher running on boot so everything you stated about Epic is the same with Steam if you don't have it running and auto updating constantly. Actually it can be worse at it can kill your network speed completely if your not privileged enough to have gigabit.

All PC launchers are nothing more than DRM to prove you have valid license to run said game.

Just play the game and don't think about some made up restriction of clicking an app next to your preferred one.

gvst

Banned
Jul 14, 2021
5 years later, billions of dollar of revenue from Fortnite and instead of investing on the launcher, they buy exclusives.

OP
OP
TeddyShardik

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yea... people that run steam every day all day, having it sit in memory to be brought up instantly, comparing start times with apps they run once a month that have pre-cached nothing and yours is 3 versions behind.

Epic store sucks for a lot of reasons, but it taking a bit to start isn't really at the top of the list.

I kill my kernel at every shutdown or restart. It never took me minutes to get to my Library after double-clicking the steam icon on my desktop.
It just doesn't "load" for a couple of minutes before I can access my account.
And I'm not running steam every day. It's like once every two months, when I want to buy, or uninstall or reinstall a game.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing's gonna top the Microsoft/Xbox store until fucking around in Powershell or REINSTALLING WINDOWS are required to address issues with games that won't properly uninstall or launch. I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but the fact that it happens at all is ridiculous.
I don't have any PC launcher running on boot so everything you stated about Epic is the same with Steam if you don't have it running and auto updating constantly. Actually it can be worse at it can kill your network speed completely if your not privileged enough to have gigabit.
You can set bandwidth limits in Steam. Probably can in EGS too, but I don't have it installed to check.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67800

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
No, Epic is great, of course it's not like steam, but there are worse, like gog, ea play and ubisoft launcher.

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022
What is really annoying about it is that it requires administrative access for many things. So, this results in me constantly having to go enter in the admin credentials on my kid's PC where as Steam just works without ever annoying me with that shit.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I kill my kernel at every shutdown or restart. It never took me minutes to get to my Library after double-clicking the steam icon on my desktop.
It just doesn't "load" for a couple of minutes before I can access my account.
And I'm not running steam every day. It's like once every two months, when I want to buy, or uninstall or reinstall a game.

Ah sorry, that does sound annoying. Sounds like there is some issue, I assumed it was exaggeration.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Current EA launcher and Uplay are worse for me. These 2 always forget my account login, not related to the launcher but trying to play EA games when their servers are down was impossible, even if I owned the games on steam.

Haven't used it for 3 or 4 years, but the MS store/xbox store was also worse. Don't know if they fixed it or not, but I'm not willing to take a risk.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like EGS but slow launching happens to all the launchers if you don't use them often, Steam included. I notice it because I have a laptop I don't use too often, and Steam always takes a while to load up on that.

The biggest issue with EGS is it just still lacks a load of functionality. Doesn't feel like they've added any new functionality recently either.

- The store is still annoying to look through, having to go through multiple clicks to get to certain pages etc.
- The library view lacks control - like small annoyance but if you don't select the installed option, why is there no easy way to see your installed games among everything else, at the moment the only differentiation is the small text underneath saying launch instead of install. The way Steam greys out stuff that isn't installed is a lot better and easier to see.
- There's no way to easily move or find a already downloaded/installed game into EGS, you have to go through the annoyance of starting the game install where you want it, let it download for a few seconds, stop the download and then you can copy in the downloaded files you already had. Battle.net/Origin/Ubisoft Connect all have that functionality to restore a game and they're small launchers for specific publishers, so why in the world does EGS not have it?

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Have you ever heard.. Microsoft Store/EA App

MS/Xbox App constantly mismanages my updates meanwhile a couple of days ago EA App restarted my Jedi Survivor download at %80.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck installing a game that's near the middle of the alphabet if you have a large number of (free) games. It is just so insanely slow.

OP
OP
TeddyShardik

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ah sorry, that does sound annoying. Sounds like there is some issue, I assumed it was exaggeration.

It's really not exaggerated. I took me like 10 minutes to be able to uninstall a game. And then it didn't do what I wanted it to do.
Maybe that's not normal, and I just had a bad configuration of happenstance. But it annoyed me enough to make this dumb thred.

DinkyBox

Feb 21, 2021
Epic Store has never been a problem for me. Launches, buying games work flawless, starting games work flawlessy, deleting games as well. Can't say the same for Windows Store/Game Pass, Ubisoft or EA Play.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
That's why it dominates.

I wish the "start right away" part was true. If there is an update available, Steam forces you to download and install it before you can play.

It is particularly annoying to not have the freedom to defer updates on PC games, since they can invalidate the shader cache or break compatibility with mods.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Minutes of loading is definitely not normal for the Epic launcher, and I have a slow, old ass PC. It is slower than Steam though, yes.

I assume it's been months at least since you used it so makes sense that you need to login again and update.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It's shit but whilst stuff like this is every now and then on Xbox it's only the second worse (At least I kinda get good value for money).

(Anyone got a fix too? I tried all the solutions a MS person suggested on their page and still not working; reinstalled, re installed MS services, deleted everything relating to it and reinstalled).

XBOX.png

This looks to me like an Easy Anti Cheat / game problem. When you bundle EAC in your game, you define / whitelist / sign the exes that it should support and block everything else, to minimise tampering and cheating. Looks like they've done some misconfiguration here.

Obviously it could be something else, but that's my first impression based on the screenshot.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
This looks to me like an Easy Anti Cheat / game problem. When you bundle EAC in your game, you define / whitelist / sign the exes that it should support and block everything else, to minimise tampering and cheating. Looks like they've done some misconfiguration here.
I've got a ton of games that work with it. Battlebit runs fine.

It hasn't done the sign in bit most Xbox games do before launching I think is the issue.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
OP what the hell is wrong with you, wishing for hundreds of people to lose their jobs and their families to suffer.

OP
OP
TeddyShardik

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Minutes of loading is definitely not normal for the Epic launcher, and I have a slow, old ass PC. It is slower than Steam though, yes.

I assume it's been months at least since you used it so makes sense that you need to login again and update.

Not months, but probably a few weeks.
I don't mind updates and having to log in again after a while.
That all makes sense.

But I do mind it taking minutes to just open the launcher after all of that.
That was probably not the usual use case, I admit. But it really shouldn't take me that long to view my games.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't prove that Capcom hasn't misconfigured it in Exoprimal.

You might be right about the true reason, I don't know.
Possibly. Never had this with Steam (Or other services).

It's been a few times on Xbox though, and I can't recall the login menu popping up on them (There was a certain not Slay The Spire but simmilar card game). Worked after a few months. For the money I pay and the games that work it's worth it but it's every now and then something just won't boot and I can debug and fix stuff but nothing on Google or whatever works most the time.