Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
So yeah to cut to the results, the worst that's happened to me is that I currently can't access my account.

Now as to how, so apparently a person on my friends list sent me a message saying that they "accidentally" reported my account. They sent me a screenshot of the email they supposedly got with the user I should contact. I go through an elaborate "validation process" that included changing my email to what they provided and it was up to this point where it hit me that this was a scam. They had told me that I needed to pay $150 to validate my account and that they would promise to refund back, which of course I already suspected would be the case.

Of course I needed to look up this up and yup indeed it was a scam. Thankfully I didn't leave any payment information, but man do I feel so stupid. The email that the scammer wanted me to change it to should have been a red flag for me.

And I just found out my account is being used for said scam.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
That seems like a pretty common scam, if I remember right, someone made a thread about it few months ago but instead of discord it was Steam or psn I think

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Nowadays i double and tripple check everything. And use a good password manager setup. I suspect a scam behind everything.
I once won a HTC Vive headset and i got a call from a woman who wanted to check/get an adresse for the delivery. Boy was i extremely reluctant talking to her...i only belived it wasn't some kind of scam when it arrived.

Jul 18, 2018
They do the same thing on Steam. They make you click a link to vote for their team, then you link your steam account to the website to login, and then they somehow "hijack" your account and put some fake temporary status saying this account is being monitored for fraudulent things. They remove a game from account, and change your picture. Then you get a fake message from steam support saying to click link to login or change your settings or something. That's probably when they can get full access to your account

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That seems like a pretty common scam, if I remember right, someone made a thread about it few months ago but instead of discord it was Steam or psn I think
Yea I saw a post here it was through discord someone claiming to have reported their Steam account and I think a fake discord Steam support account or something. It does seem fairly common I think there's been a another thread too.

I guess ultimately no one is ever going to contact you through discord to resolve account issues. I'm not even sure if Discords own support would do that, it should be emails directly to you from their actual support accounts and no ones ever going to ask you to give them credentials or change email addresses etc.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
that was me! I wanted to make it completely sure before I started trolling them

they blocked me when I asked them to marry me and we can game together for the rest of our lives

*sigh*

romance is dead

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was the infamous "I reported you by accident" discord scam before clicking.
It's actually very well known by now, or at
Least it should be, I even think I have read some other post about it here on Era.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A good rule of thumb is that if you ever have to do more work than you think you should for something, it's likely a scam.

Being Lazy truly has benefits for not getting scammed online lol

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me a month ago, seemed real for a hot minute then googled what exactly they're doing and yep found hella reports about it. Quite clever for a bit honestly.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this scam is very common on Discord, but I think getting it from a friend's account makes it worse. I lost my Skype account for a few days around a decade ago because I got a message from a Skype friend I hadn't heard from in ages that was just a link. I thought they wanted to talk about what was in the link and I was so excited to hear from them that I clicked the link and, boom, account hijacked. Luckily I was able to get it back through Skype support before they were able to nab any of my other friends' accounts, but yeah, not good. It was almost worse that this friend hadn't actually tried to reach out too, so double whammy there.

Now if someone sends me a link that doesn't include a preview or an embed, I won't click it unless they tell me exactly where it is going and why I, personally, would be interested in it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Number rule on the internet for me right now is to never ever ever click links in dms on discord.

This is a good rule of thumb in general for internet security. Never click links anywhere from anyone you're not expecting even if they're your friends and question pretty much any link before clicking on it even if you are expecting something lol

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Getting to the point that I just assume everything is a scam.

The one I got was a friend asking me to test their video game.

They're a history tour guide

I'm pretty sure he cannot make video games.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. That's the most common scam. Same on anything that has a followers/following/friend's list to gain your trust.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certain I saw exactly the same topic and post on here a few months ago

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Don't feel too bad, OP. Anyone can get caught up in these things. Glad all you lost was an account.

DuckSauce