• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
In a long line of sketchy no-budget games on Steam, one studio has seemingly one-upped the rest with, I am going to say, a scamware game that purports to be a "donation" to a charity.

The real charity: the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

The fake charity:

SS Studios is selling the game "I Support Breast Cancer Research " on Steam and framing it as a donation to the BCRF. The store page/FAQ mentions that 40% of proceeds will go to the BCRF if the game raises more than $100.00. ($100 is coincidentally the listing price for games on Steam.) If it fails to sell that much in 3 months it will apparently be delisted. The goal, as per their FAQ, is to "raise 500.000 USD in donations in the span of 1 year, but even if [they] get no where near that or pass it BCRF will always get their share. ".
CHART.png

If this sounds scammy, don't worry their FAQ will make it sound worse.

And then this news post is the cherry on top:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1035640/announcements/detail/1822175863317151573
The Elephant in the room (Is this a scam?)

I am very happy with the start of things, and the positive feedback iv heard, However, I know what most of you are thinking.. Upon doing two community adverts on two Steam groups most people speculate that this is all just one big scam. - and yes i understand why people may think this.

First off, I had emailed BCRF about this project on the 1st of March.
Email: - explaining everything that is going on
cbbb93d6735308ada5c830ec74073a758c8421f4.jpg

In the word document it has everything that can be seen on the store page, and on the Q and A section.

I can assure everyone 100% that donations will be made to BCRF starting May 1st 2019.
- There will be hard proof of all donations made. Total Steam revenue with screenshots, copies sold, refunded, everything will be updated and shown at the end of each Month Starting May 1st 2019.

If you would like to wait until the first donation is done and see proof for yourself it may be a better option if you are still weary. Those who can help are encouraged. But please ask if you have any questions.

Thanks for your support. - Here's to hoping for a great success.
It's worth noting that there is no mention of the game on BCRF's website (https://www.bcrf.org/) that I can see.

The game costs $8.99 USD, with three DLC "supporter" tiers:
This game seems sketchy as hell and I don't understand what it's doing on Steam. You cannot make donations via Steam. That the developer had the gall to do this, and Steam allowed them to, troubles me greatly.

Report this game.

tl;dr wtf is this

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I love that their evidence that it's not a scam is "we sent an e-mail out".

Not "we got a response saying okay" or "here's the conversation" just "yo we sent an e-mail look".

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope people don't fall for this, doesn't look legit at all

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it's pretty cool how they used dlc as different donation tiers...shame about the revenue split

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I thought Valve had to manually approve every game that goes onto the store, but I guess not...

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I love that their evidence that it's not a scam is "we sent an e-mail out".

Not "we got a response saying okay" or "here's the conversation" just "yo we sent an e-mail look".

Haha, yeah no kidding.

There's definitely been games and DLC that were for charity on Steam, but it's clearly something where you have to be ready to show your work.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I donate directly to this charity yearly with matching from my employee. Who the hell are these people? Delisting from Steam is the least of the issues, this is fraud and whoever started this should be looked into by law enforcement.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, yeah no kidding.

There's definitely been games and DLC that were for charity on Steam, but it's clearly something where you have to be ready to show your work.
Yeah. I think This War of Mine is the most prominent example of what you're saying; and to their credit, they were very clear about what you got and how/when money was going to charity. There's also DLCs there primarily to support the devs--like Thea: The awakening's "Coffee for Coding" DLC, which never misrepresents exactly what it is.

This BCRF game, meanwhile, completely misrepresents everything about itself.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
This store page makes me feel uncomfortable. I wish Valve would check whether this is a scam.

At least, the thread on the community hub arguing how "fasting cures cancer" was deleted after I reported it.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
This would have the potential of being a good idea if Valve and the charity were clearly on board, precisely what proportion was distributed to the charity was known, that Valve paid that money directly to the charity and the 'game' itself was worth the cost of the developers revenue split. That's a lot of If's.

In the absence of any of those then Valve shouldn't allow it on their store.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this needs to be verified through the actual charity. It's a good gesture if true but there are way too many red flags here.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
For the record, there was a partnership between BCRF and Blizzard, and at that time, it was advertized on their Twitter account.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did they ever actually show proof that donations were made?