• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It apparently refers to males giving hundreds of dollars to attractive women on twitch for no real rhyme or reason except in the vain hopes they will pay attention to them?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

The recent appropriation of "simp"

I've noticed a trend recently of many people using the word "simp" all over the internet. For those that are unfamiliar, this is what the term means (from UrbanDictionary): https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Simp There's a few other definitions on there that basically convey the...

OP
OP
Poetic Injustice
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

I've noticed a trend recently of many people using the word "simp" all over the internet. For those that are unfamiliar, this is what the term means (from UrbanDictionary): https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Simp There's a few other definitions on there that basically convey the...
Ok nvm there's already a discussion.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I was just discussing this with a friend. I guess the motivation is that there's a sliver of hope it will turn into something, or that you can at least live out a fantasy in some way.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I don't think I'll ever understand the mindset behind Simp culture. Has anyone in the history of the internet ever gained anything tangible from simping?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Ah, yes. The word used by jealous boys on Twitter who assume that opposite sex praise or complements equates to flirtatious desperation.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
"Simp" has already reached the point of terms like "SJW" for me where whenever I see someone say it I know not to take anything that person says seriously. Incels and the alt-right love to use it.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I've also recently learned of this term and it seems to apply to anyone that isn't being a dick to a female.

Mar 18, 2020
Simping ain't easy.

A simp used to just mean a simpleton, then around from late 80s/90s it's been used in hip hop culture to talk about men who spend a lot of money trying to get sex (in vain), but I guess now it's being used for just any man who does anything for a woman.

The journey of language...

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
So what do you call someone who just wants to support someone because they like their work

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I find it annoying that the proper meaning of it is so divorced from the abbreviation of "simpleton", the obvious usage.

It's like if "abbrev" was actually a term for using a word incorrectly.

But, alas lol

(I just like abbrevs a lot, so ones like this hit harder than other slang. I just avoid it altogether. Except this thread.)

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
"Simp" has already reached the point of terms like "SJW" for me where whenever I see someone say it I know not to take anything that person says seriously. Incels and the alt-right love to use it.

I'll take it as a badge of honor. If it makes them throw the kind of fit they accuse us of, then so be it.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
I don't think I'll ever understand the mindset behind Simp culture. Has anyone in the history of the internet ever gained anything tangible from simping?
i'm sure plenty of people are self-satisfied enough merely making the effort

maybe it's sad, maybe it doesn't matter unless they become a creepy stalker, who knows

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
My dear, my dear, my dear, you do not know me but I know you very well
Now let me tell you about the feelings I have for you
When I try, or make some sort of attempt, I symp
Damn I wish I wasn't such a wimp
'Cause then I would let you know that I love you so
And if I was your man then I would be true
The only lying I would do is in the bed with you
Then I signed sincerely the one who loves you dearly, PS love me tender
The letter came back three days later, return to sender

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Men have been doing this to women in bars for decades, blindly buying them drinks just for attention

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"
Now get your mind right, hater, you a simp (a simp)
And I'm a red hot undercover pimmmmmp (pimmmmp)"

Take it off, UGK 2001.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These subcultures appropriating and messing up the original intention of black slang makes me weep lol.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Some people really want to use it as frequently as they can.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Simping has been around as a derogatory term for a long ass time. I've always heard it used sort of inter changably with "caping", which unless I'm mistake goes all the way back to "Captain Save a Hoe" video.

MerryIdleDuckling-size_restricted.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Please no not this again. It's been like a week... or something (actually have no clue how longs it's been, it hasn't been two months or something has it?).

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
haha u fukin simp im not a loser like u i only give hundreds of dollars to male streamers out of bro solidarity get a lyf

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I was under the impression that Simp was the new "nice guy" term aka guys who do anything for a girl to expect sex or something of the like.

Honestly, I've found it used for this too. Contrary to what Era tells you, it's not only the alt-right using the term. I've seen it used widely and for a variety of things. It's a word whose meaning is in flux as society appropriates another piece of black slang.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Incels love it now. Anytime you say anything positive about or towards a woman they start calling you a simp. Pretty annoying

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you're gonna quote me you might as well "do it"
www.resetera.com

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Now "coomer" is a term I only learned about only 2 months ago or so. Such interesting terminology.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Simping ain't easy.

A simp used to just mean a simpleton, then around from late 80s/90s it's been used in hip hop culture to talk about men who spend a lot of money trying to get sex (in vain), but I guess now it's being used for just any man who does anything for a woman.

The journey of language...

About as bad as snitch.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's just a more socially accepted way for idiots to keep up the awful c uck bs and because of that it's caught on with wider use really quickly. Any usage of it gets immediate side eye from me and it takes a whole lot to get out of that hole.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Well ok, it still seems to be applied to people who aren't dicks to women, as least in nerd circles.